shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange Sapphire Price

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
PS-ers, I need help to guesstimate the fair price of such sapphire. Eye clean, 8.8ct, no lattice diffusion, only heat, I think it is Sri Lankan. Feast your eyes and advise me

orangenolattice.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Proof of heat only treatment from a reputable lab and verification of stats (ct weight, measurements, etc).
2. How accurate is the colouration?
3. Stone only or is the setting part of the sale?

I don't think the picture you posted is a good one. The stone is flooded with very strong light and thus appears brighter, lighter and flashier that it might in person.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color are the diamonds surrounding the stone - are they white?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
You are right, it was pretty bright( the color is quite accurate, no editing except cropping) It is certified, but I have yet seen the cert.
The diamonds are g colors (but i am just inquiring stone price, since i assume that setting with 18k gold and diamonds will add approx $2500~).
The measurements are 15.52x10.74x6.0

Silverbackmp

Rough_Rock
Not all labs (even reputable ones) can test for BE treatment. I would request GIA or AGL pending final sale. AIGS was implementing better BE testing as well; I'm not sure where they are at with this.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Assuming it is not BE treated at what price is fair?
Chrono, this is another picture.

Thank you all for the responses.

orangesapph.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not assume. Seeing the lab memo is imperative before we start talking numbers.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't realize you we're in the trade chrono. An odd turn on pricescope when we start guessing prices.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soberguy|1374602538|3488579 said:
I didn't realize you we're in the trade chrono. An odd turn on pricescope when we start guessing prices.

I am not in the trade, never was, is, nor will be. Re-reading my post again, I can see how this can easily be misunderstood. The stone in question is not mine. To clarify, I would not discuss pricing with the vendor until he/she is able to prove to me that the stone is exactly as advertised due to the potentially very high monetary value, meaning that it is indeed a 8 ct heat only orange sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soberguy|1374602538|3488579 said:

I'm just curious - what gave you the idea she was in the trade?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this thread is on the edge of what PS'er's can provide......people turn to this forum for feedback on stones they are looking for, or have found with more information than this orange sapphire ring. The OP appears to be asking for an appraisal which cannot be done with this forum. IF the OP really wants to know a fair price then the ring should be appraised for the value of this stone and that can be done AFTER the stone has a certificate to identify what it is/clarity/origin (perhaps) etc. I've been reading this thread and thought that the first time I read the request, and still think it today.........just had to get some skin in the game! :cheeky:

cm366

Shiny_Rock
For the OP, one of the things people frequently recommend is looking for comparable stones. Maybe a few enquiries to dealers or jewelers would give you a ballpark of what similar stones are selling for? Bear in mind that, as Chrono says, the stone isn't proven to be BE free until you see the certification from one of the few labs that will test for it....

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your input. I had meant this thread to be a simple one really (it turns out not to be so simple after all). Since the stone is not mine (it belongs to a friend), it is rather inconvenient if I have to ask him to sight the cert (which of course upon purchase will be shown to me), bring to appraiser, etc unless I am serious in making an offer (when in reality I am unable to meet his asking price).
However from the thread by kenny and the postings there, I am getting the feeling that around US$1300-3000 per ct should be there for this type of stone(Heated and no BE).
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-good-orange-sapphire.186790/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-good-orange-sapphire.186790/[/URL]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eastjavaman,
You've got it backwards; you must see the lab memo (a certificate is useless unless you are calling a lab memo a cert) before purchase. Not only that, which lab it is from is very important. Yes, this is definitely not a simple task at all because everything matters - colour, treatment, and etc in getting an accurate price range. Without doing all that, how would you even know if his asking price is reasonable or in the realm of dreams? No matter though, it sounds as though he overpaid originally. $110K is much too high for a heated stone.

Here's why:
BE treated - low hundreds of dollars, possibly even less.
Heat only - depending on its colour, could range from $1000 /ct to $5000/ct

Say you make an offer and he accepts. Then you've agreed to the sale and since this is a private sale, it is considered final. Then he passes the lab report to you and it is from XYZ lab. Well, since it is an unknown lab and difficult to contact, how would you know it is truly diffusion free? You've forked over $10K (likely to be more) for a potentially diffused orange sapphire...

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Yes Chrono I hear you; What I meant was that I will ensure to see and study :read: the cert prior to buying but ready to make an offer, (which I am not by the way) , since there are many posts, including yours to hint that it is an overpriced :$$): stone. Thanks.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad that Chrono said that. With that much money at stake the seller should allow you to see cert and for you to compare it to stone or take it to someone who can measure and assure you it is same stone. If it is a friend he should understand that for anyone spending that kind of money it is reasonable and responsible to do your background work. And comparison is probably a good way to start determining value. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results