shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange engagement ring

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I'm sorry to be just another user looking for help, but I want to be very careful before making my purchase(s).

I'd like to get an engagement ring for my GF. Nothing exorbitant, and I would like it to be unique. Interesting note about her: she doesn't wear jewelry at all. This would be her first piece of jewelry. I am searching for an orange colored stone. Spessartite garnet is what first caught my attention. However, I am wary of its hardness (for a gem that I'm hoping will be worn for the rest of our foreseeable lives). So now I'm taking a look at orange sapphires, and they are stunning. Are there any recommendations on reputable vendors/dealers and what else I should be looking at/for?

If you'd like to throw out another gem in a different color I am open to that as well. I'd like to have everything ready by December (is this a realistic timeline?).

I haven't given much thought to the ring itself (the setting?). Any help here would be great as well.

Thank you for your time. The guides I've gone over so far on here have been fantastic!

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Hi, and congratulations on your pending engagement.
Just wondering (because I am sure this will help overall with your search):
1. Is orange a color your girlfriend is fond of? As this is her first piece of jewelry, do you have a sense of her style and what she would enjoy wearing on a daily basis?
2. What is your overall budget? (Stone, setting)
3. Do you have any particular size stone or style in mind? Perhaps you can post an example of what type of ring you have in mind?
4.lastly, what is your timeframe?
I am sure that everyone here will find something wonderful.

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
Sorry- just saw you had posted your time frame. Not sure about feasibility. It may be worth it to also look at complete rings.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Kellyashley16|1476294736|4086214 said:
Hi, and congratulations on your pending engagement.
Just wondering (because I am sure this will help overall with your search):
1. Is orange a color your girlfriend is fond of? As this is her first piece of jewelry, do you have a sense of her style and what she would enjoy wearing on a daily basis?
2. What is your overall budget? (Stone, setting)
3. Do you have any particular size stone or style in mind? Perhaps you can post an example of what type of ring you have in mind?
4.lastly, what is your timeframe?
I am sure that everyone here will find something wonderful.

1. It is her favorite color. I am certain that she would prefer something very simple. No unnecessarily additional gems, as small a band and gem as possible, nothing gaudy, and the less expensive the better (she loves a good deal, and is very practical about costs).
2. As close to $1000 as possible. Less is preferable, more is possible with a definite hard cap of $2000. Gems can be switched out, right? I could get a nice setting with a fairly inexpensive stone and change out the stone at a later date?
3. I think I'd like something symmetrical, and I lean towards rounded shapes (circles, oval, teardrop) over squared shapes. This isn't set in stone. I am afraid I don't know what you mean by style.
4. Ideally mid-December.

I appreciate your help so far in guiding my answers. I hope this helps out whoever might be trying to assist.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is that $1k for the stone and setting combined?

How about the color on either of these to get started:

9x5.5 oval, 1.87 ct, $510
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...n_Yellow_Sapphire_1_87_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

6.8x5 oval, 1.2 ct, $270 (BE treated)
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ..._Padpradscha_Color_1_20_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1

You might also keep an eye out under yellow sapphires, as sometimes the "golden" ones will lean pretty orange

On the Spess front.. :drool:
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...mandarin-spessartite-garnet-cut-by-jeff-white

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
chroman|1476298184|4086258 said:
Is that $1k for the stone and setting combined?

How about the color on either of these to get started:

9x5.5 oval, 1.87 ct, $510
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...n_Yellow_Sapphire_1_87_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

6.8x5 oval, 1.2 ct, $270 (BE treated)
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ..._Padpradscha_Color_1_20_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1

You might also keep an eye out under yellow sapphires, as sometimes the "golden" ones will lean pretty orange

I prefer the more vibrant color of the first one.

How much would a setting cost? I suppose I should research that on my own though.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Kellyashley16|1476299432|4086275 said:
I don't know if this is too yellow for you, but from the same site, claimed heat only, and seems pretty bright. It is very close to a 6mm round which should fit into a stock setting (which may be more budget-friendly) provided the depth is appropriate.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-301-ANAGEE_Sri_Lanka_Gems/7721-Sri_Lanka_Natural_Orange_Sapphire_0_93_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

chroman|1476299525|4086276 said:
And a few more from the same vendor:

5.93 round, 0.93 ct, $440.
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...Orange_Sapphire_0_93_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

1.22 ct heart, $200. Looks like has a big window, and its a heart which might not be your/her thing :)
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...en_Sapphire_Heart_1_22_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

Of those, I think my favorites are the first oval and this round.

I like that you both recommended the same gem. I quite like it myself, too!

SparkliesLuver|1476299779|4086278 said:
Okay. Play along with me for a minute (as it won't leave much for a setting), but this is possibly totally worth it. Jeff just posted this sapphire and I immediately thought of you. The color is crazy for an unheated Montana - rare, intense and gorgeous.

1.48ct
6.8 x 5.8 x 4.6mm
Untreated
$1,480
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-48-carat-intense-orange-montana-sapphire/

Ahh, I saw this one earlier. It's absolutely beautiful. Can I contact Jeff for additional photos? I was thinking about a flush setting (or close to flush) so that it doesn't get caught as she's doing things.

S

SparkliesLuver

fishfrenzy said:
Ahh, I saw this one earlier. It's absolutely beautiful. Can I contact Jeff for additional photos? I was thinking about a flush setting (or close to flush) so that it doesn't get caught as she's doing things.

I'd definitely contact Jeff and probably do it as soon as you can. ;-)

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
S

SparkliesLuver

There are some standard sizes for stock settings, yes. It doesn't have as much to do with shape as it does measurements (depth included!). Take a look at Stuller.com and search the rings. You'll see the standard sizes in the drop down menus.

ETA: I'd definitely also contact someone like David Klass to see what a simple, classic setting would run (for whatever stone you decide). Obviously you'll have to describe your vision to him (and give him a ring size), but he's really good to work with. And it can't hurt to at least get a quote! I'm sure all of us here would be more than happy to help you through the CAD stage if you need it. :)

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
I've just reached out to Jeff and have begun to peruse the settings. Thank you all for your help so far. I'll try not to make any impulse buys. I also have to think whether I want to guess the ring size.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So orange in sapphires, particularly bright orange, is a rare enough color that it often means that its been helped along with some more invasive treatments. But in case you want the intense and bright orange, check out ATG. They do disclose all treatments:

http://atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire3.htm

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you reached out to Jeff! But just to give some other options (of course I have no idea what type of setting you are looking for), but just a few choices.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/267300535/2-carat-vietnamese-peachy-pink-spinel-in?ref=shop_home_active_32
*a bit over budget, but JuliaB is great, and spinel is a hard gemstone that holds up relatively well.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/449664602/1-carat-natural-mandarin-orange-sapphire?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=orange%20sapphire&ref=sr_gallery_40
*a totally different color of orange here, but just in case it appeals

https://www.etsy.com/listing/63095166/aaa-round-natural-orange-sapphire-700mm?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=orange%20sapphire&ref=sr_gallery_29
*this is a great price for a set. I've spoken to this vendor multiple times and find him honest and straightforward.

EDIT: just realized that Mastergold craft has multiple options for orange sapphires, so here's the link to all of those: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mastergoldcraft?ref=l2-shopheader-name&search_query=orange+sapphire

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you stated whether you were open to 'treated' gems, but noticed that the AAA gem above is treated. Usually that is BE treatment which makes gems affordable but takes away from the value-- BE is not the same as heat treatment which is recognized as a common treatment for sapphires............if you have a preference keep this in mind. Vendors will state 'natural' but that does not mean that it isn't treated, just that it is not a synthetic stone.........laying all the cards on the table here. If you covered this already.....I missed it, but it's an important consideration.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good for you that you reached out to Jeff at Earth Treasury, that is one special 'unheated' Montana sapphire-- one of a kind and intense color. (Good job Sparkliesluver) ALthough this stone may be more than you have intended to spend, I think the rarity and uniqueness of this color should be considered. I hope you'll purchase it. Meanwhile.. consider purchasing the gemstone first and then after proposing with the stone, go together and pick out a setting that would best suit her,her lifestyle, and skin color! Yes, I said skin color after all it is an orange color gemstone, would she like platinum, yellow or rose gold? What looks good on one person, may not look so great on another! You then can save up more money for a special setting if you need to. And by waiting, you won't be guessing her ring size! Just don't go to a 'mall' store to get the setting..come back here and show us what you decide with her...

Well,just keep us informed on whatever you decide!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That ET sapphire looks spectacular! However, with a total budget of $2k, i'd be a bit nervous about the setting. Others have a better grasp on how much a setting might cost, but since its a bit of a oddball size (and non-traditional shape) it looks like it would require some amout of custom work, and that will add to the setting cost.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1476299779|4086278 said:

Really REALLY like this one for the colour, the fact that it is an untreated sapphire, and the superb cutting. Please ask for the L x D x W dimensions but I think it will fit a standard or calibrated 4 prong setting. I would upgrade the plain solitaire setting to something nicer around the 1st anniversary mark. This should help ease the budget strain, yet get you a fabulous stone.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the replies and the suggestions!

I was speaking to her about this and she wants it to be "cheap and small." As such, I'm going to try to stick with the smaller gems. The beauty of the larger, untreated sapphires is unparalleled, but outside what I think she would want.

I'll keep looking at everything though. Don't want to make an impulse buy (or miss out on something good!).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fishfrenzy|1476362018|4086580 said:
I was speaking to her about this and she wants it to be "cheap and small."
I think she's just being modest, which is a wonderful attribute. For me, the ET sapphire remains my top choice as I do not consider it large at all and the price is phenomenal. :devil: :bigsmile:

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1476362363|4086582 said:
fishfrenzy|1476362018|4086580 said:
I was speaking to her about this and she wants it to be "cheap and small."
I think she's just being modest, which is a wonderful attribute. For me, the ET sapphire remains my top choice as I do not consider it large at all and the price is phenomenal. :devil: :bigsmile:

She's the type of girl who will find a pair of shoes on sale, further coupon it, end up buying it for $5 (I'm not kidding; her most expensive pair was $6) and wear it forever. :lol:

Edit: What's the consensus on gemselect.com? It wasn't on the vendor list.

Edit 2: Something like this - http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-398413.php

Acceptable clarity, a nice, bright orange color thanks to the BE treatment, and a very nice size (maybe too big, actually, I'll have to find a ruler).

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In that case, keep an eye on that mastercut .93 ct round if you like the color.

IMHO a 5-6mm round wont't look "big", though going <5mm might start to feel very small. In a simple solitare setting it would look elegant in its simplicity without being overpowering for someone who doesnt want to wear a lot of bling.

Also, MC claims they are starting a site-wide sale on 10/23. Since that stone is already marked as 'on sale', I'm not sure if they would discount it further, but maybe... I bet they would tell you if you asked :)

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
and a very nice size (maybe too big, actually, I'll have to find a ruler).
10.4 x 8.8 is going to be a big stone for a ring, even by PS standards :)

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
chroman|1476366818|4086618 said:
and a very nice size (maybe too big, actually, I'll have to find a ruler).
10.4 x 8.8 is going to be a big stone for a ring, even by PS standards :)

I will keep looking. XD

Now there is this sapphire that was recommended to me from MC by you guys - link 1

But there's also this sapphire from gem select that, as far as I can tell, is nearly identical in size, carat, clarity - link 2

The main difference is treatment. Does BE heating really diminish the price by that much? I personally find the colors to be more profound and appealing in the BE one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fishfrenzy|1476367090|4086620 said:
Now there is this sapphire that was recommended to me from MC by you guys - link 1
A bit of a "roval" and as stated, skewered towards yellow.

But there's also this sapphire from gem select that, as far as I can tell, is nearly identical in size, carat, clarity - link 2

The main difference is treatment. Does BE heating really diminish the price by that much? I personally find the colors to be more profound and appealing in the BE one.
Yes, that's why we don't recommend it for an e-ring stone but if it is mind clean for both of you and you are well aware of its value, then BE diffused could be a good choice for a buyer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results