shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange blossom/traub ring?

Jsltrie

Rough_Rock
0AE51464-B798-4BCC-986F-D31537F2C15A.jpeg Hello! Trying to get some info on a ring I inherited. On the inside if the band it’s stamped Orange Blossom, 14k and has the pi looking symbol for Traub and what looks like ‘43’, but is stamped in a different way. I tried to photograph but it didn’t work. There’s not a ton of info online about this brand unfortunately. Does anyone know if this coming stamped years on their jewelry? I’ve also included a picture - does this look like a 1940s style ring? 1943 doesn’t make sense as it was my great grandmothers, I’m not sure of the year of her engagement, but my grandmother herself is in her 80s. I suppose it could be a ring given later as a gift. I’d love to wear the ring, but I’m not a fan of the diagonal - would it be ruining the ring/it’s history if I got the band changed so it’s a straight ring?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring & that diamond is just lovely! I can't help re the hallmark, (when I think of Orange Blossom rings I think of floral carved wedding bands) but to me that ring looks older than 1940's - the diamond is definitely an OEC & the style of setting is more Art Deco. I say if you will love & wear it more by making changes, then make changes =)

Jsltrie

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I will do some research into the Art Deco style!

It's a beautiful ring & that diamond is just lovely! I can't help re the hallmark, (when I think of Orange Blossom rings I think of floral carved wedding bands) but to me that ring looks older than 1940's - the diamond is definitely an OEC & the style of setting is more Art Deco. I say if you will love & wear it more by making changes, then make changes =)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may well be 40s as that type of illusion setting was popular into the 50-60s. The two-tone is also more Retro than Deco in my limited experience.
Orange Blossom/Traub were (are?) a popular mid century jewellery company.
I’ve seen this sort of setting as a diagonal/bypass and also as a straight across so if you’ll enjoy it more as a straight across, it’s not sacrilege to change it. Better than scrapping it!
The cut looks somewhere between OEC and transitional to me. It’s not conclusive for age anyway as these were being cut for quite a while and it could be an earlier cut in a later setting.
I have to agree with @Alex T - it’s a beautiful ring. I’d love to see more pics especially profile of the centre stone and clearer faceting if possible?

Jsltrie

Rough_Rock
0628D257-DF06-4D21-B61D-7EA7715EB92C.jpeg 6A64B491-7A33-4F16-AC64-822D8070BC49.jpeg 067F73C8-0B59-418E-83E7-F792AD795C76.jpeg @foxinsox thanks for your comment! Man it’s really hard to take photos :shock: including a few, but not sure that they’ll be clear enough. I do have a camera that I can use later though.

Jsltrie

Rough_Rock
2BBB342A-AA1B-4705-A4E0-A2C33922A89D.jpeg This is maybe clearer

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and I love it on the diagonal, but it’s what you love that matters! I’m not an expert, but it looks like it’d be fairly simple to rotate to make the head straight.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is so pretty! The diamond is lovely! Definitely change the orientation if you want to & enjoy it.

Obviously @foxinsox has more information than I do & has her own beautiful antique pieces, but I wouldn't rule out it being older due to the two-tone metals. I inherited a ring that dates from 1885-1905 which is 18ct yellow gold & platinum, and also my grandmothers engagement ring from 1937 is the same - 18ct & platinum. So you just never know?!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T oh no I’m so far off being an expert so please don’t think I’m claiming it. You’re completely right of course. There were loads of two-tone settings earlier than the retro era. I’d love to see your pieces if you have pictures?
I love two-tone and illusion settings in particular so just love looking at as many as possible - this sorta feels Retro especially that gorgeous basket/profile.
The facet pattern has me flip flopping tho. It’s a fun puzzle to try and work out!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox I keep coming back to the diamond too! I could swear it's an OEC, but then I take another look & I can see an early tranny? Guess it needs an expert eye & a strong loupe. Hmmm....

Regarding my two inherited pieces, if you pop 'Your Most Favourite 5 Pieces' into the search bar at the top right, I am on page one of that thread with pictures of them together with my other treasures. I'm not techy & unsure how to link it to here!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the first face on pic it looks OEC but in the latest face on, I can swear I see fat arrows which make me think tranny! :mrgreen2: @Jsltrie what do you see when you look down at the face of the stone? And how big do you think the table is? Is it wee or bigger? The profile makes me think tranny as the table looks a bit bigger than I’d expect for an OEC.
@Alex T that thread always makes me smile, thank you for the reminder. And I LOVE your inherited pieces. They’re beautiful!

Jsltrie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I couldn’t wait so I took it in today for a price estimate on the band change. @foxinsox per the jeweler, looks like it is an OEC as it has the open culet at the bottom, more likely 1940s than 1920s, .5ct and a g color stone. I went ahead and left it to have the band straightened, but I now have the urge to put a colored stone in it and use the main diamond for something more my style. We shall see!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come back and show us when you get it back - it's a lovely very wearable ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results