clarity

Opinions Wanted

Which would you prefer?

• 1+ carat, very good color/clarity, in a plain solitare setting

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MtnLiving

Rough_Rock
I''m getting an upgrade for our anniversary/xmas!
21.gif

My question is.....

(1) Would you go 1 carat, middle grade color and clarity, in a fancy (pave'' for instance) setting that brings the center diamond to life and makes it looks alittle bigger?

-or-

(2) Would you go larger than 1 carat, very good color and clarity, in a plain solitare setting?

I know everyone has their taste but I''m soooooo torn and can''t decide. Help!
33.gif

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
hmmmmmmm.... that''s a tough one! the upgrade I''m working on now will be solitaire because I like how clean and classic it looks but there is something to be said about a nice 1ct in a pave halo!!! They are totally 2 different looks! GL with your decision. Maybe post some pics of what you were thinking??

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. What is "middle grade"
2. Are we talking ideal cut diamonds in both situations? I''d compromise most anything else to get an ideally cut stone.

MtnLiving

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 2:40:23 PM
Author: Miss Fortune
hmmmmmmm.... that''s a tough one! the upgrade I''m working on now will be solitaire because I like how clean and classic it looks but there is something to be said about a nice 1ct in a pave halo!!! They are totally 2 different looks! GL with your decision. Maybe post some pics of what you were thinking??

Good idea.
1.gif

I will post what I''ve been looking at.

MtnLiving

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 2:41:47 PM
Author: neatfreak
1. What is ''middle grade''

2. Are we talking ideal cut diamonds in both situations? I''d compromise most anything else to get an ideally cut stone.

By "middle grade" I meant like an H or I in color and SI1 in clarity. For my budget, I can go F or G in color and VS1 in clarity but in a smaller stone. I''ve done a ton of reading and the general consensus seems to be that you can sacrifice alittle on color and clarity in the main diamond if it''s surrounded by smaller diamonds to play up both color, clarity and size. On the other end of the spectrum, if you''re going solitare in simple setting, color and clarity are alittle more important.

Regarding cut, definently looking for a great cut as I''m going with a cushion.

MtnLiving

Rough_Rock
I''ve been salivating
3.gif
over this setting from James Allen

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-2786_design.asp?module=setting

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 2:48:52 PM
Author: MtnLiving
Date: 11/30/2008 2:41:47 PM

Author: neatfreak

1. What is ''middle grade''

By ''middle grade'' I meant like an H or I in color and SI1 in clarity. For my budget, I can go F or G in color and VS1 in clarity but in a smaller stone. I''ve done a ton of reading and the general consensus seems to be that you can sacrifice alittle on color and clarity in the main diamond if it''s surrounded by smaller diamonds to play up both color, clarity and size. On the other end of the spectrum, if you''re going solitare in simple setting, color and clarity are alittle more important.

Regarding cut, definently looking for a great cut as I''m going with a cushion.

In a cushion I''d stay at H or above in that size and happily drop the clarity as long as it was eyeclean. I personally don''t put a premium on clarity as long as it''s eyeclean. And color is a personal preference, but I think G or H is a great spot to be in.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
middle to me would be G vs2

Im not sure what I would consider very good because eyeclean is eyeclean.

I/si eyeclean is my bang for the back combo in the just over 1ct-2ct range.

J/si eyeclean is my go for size selection.

Assuming all ideal cut RBs.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cushions

middle would again be G/VS

H/si eyeclean bang for the buck.
I/si go for size.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 2:55:00 PM
Author: MtnLiving
I''ve been salivating
3.gif
over this setting from James Allen

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-2786_design.asp?module=setting

that''s really pretty but since there is no halo around the diamond itself, it won''t look any bigger. This is just my opinion but I would not be happy an I/SI1 stone. I would jump to a G/VS2 - I think you''ll notice a difference. Get the nicest stone now. you can always change the setting in a couple years.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
yes for me in a cushion i would say h is the lowest i would go and just be eyeclean so SI2 if i found a good one...and i have to agree with Miss Fortune, that setting will not make the diamond look bigger but a halo would and also a 3 stone too

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i voted 1+ with simple setting because i think you will be happier with it. it sounds like you will be getting a better diamond with option 2. i dont know if this is an issue for you, but you might regret choosing a fancy setting with a diamond with so-so color and clarity when you could have gotten better clarirty and color. plus if you truly want something with a little more bling in the setting later you will have a great stone to start with.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My selection will be based on your plans for upgrade in the future. If you plan to stick with this diamond and ring for a longer time, I would try to strike the best balance between the setting and stone you want. That is a setting that is close to what you want (ex. pave) without scarficing too much on the diamond specs. An ugly diamond in a beautiful setting will still be an ugly e-ring.

If you plan to upgrade in the near future, then my strategy might be a little different. I would probably get a plain setting since I will likely need a different one if the stone will be significantly bigger. Also, if there is a chance that the setting can be upgraded in the near term, I will put the majority of the budget into the diamond and get a "temp" setting.

MtnLiving

Rough_Rock
Wow, look at the vote. Overwhelming for a better diamond in a plain solitare setting.

I am infact leaning towards that choice and really appreciate all the input.
1.gif

Whatever I end up getting is going to be my forever ring. No more upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results