shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions requested...emerald?

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all...I am having this appraised after the new year. In the meantime, I would love to hear your opinions.

I purchased this recently at a pawn shop where I am a regular customer. It was in a case with a lot of what I would call cheaper jewelry where it just really stood out among the crowd. I am attaching photos showing different lighting. It has Jardin but really glows and the diamonds most have low fluorescence and the price I paid for the ring was reasonable for the diamonds alone. I love the green color. This is (if it’s really real) my first emerald.
Any thoughts you may have are appreciated.

There is one photo where you may notice a line at the bottom...that would be fur from my golden retriever. I did try the fog test on it and the evaporation was immediate.

Attachments

• 2FF40599-BA4D-4364-B544-6AAAFB78143E.jpeg
    2FF40599-BA4D-4364-B544-6AAAFB78143E.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 98A440E4-549E-41D7-945A-1AB3A49C4D2A.jpeg
    98A440E4-549E-41D7-945A-1AB3A49C4D2A.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 4967B640-8D98-404A-B972-E5582B4D5DF6.jpeg
    4967B640-8D98-404A-B972-E5582B4D5DF6.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 45383E4D-9D3F-4301-AF32-00FBFA326662.jpeg
    45383E4D-9D3F-4301-AF32-00FBFA326662.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 74B15653-DEE2-4C3B-9EDA-E968580295EA.jpeg
    74B15653-DEE2-4C3B-9EDA-E968580295EA.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 38

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not much of an expert on emeralds, but I like it! If you have a concern for treatments, of course you'd have to unmount it and send to a lab, but otherwise, I think its extremely lovely.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely. I'm not sure what the fog test is supposed to test when it comes to emerald? I don't think you can rule out the possibility it's a synthetic emerald without going to a lab, but it does look beautiful!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
AGL and GIA do test mounted gems at an extra fee if you want a lab report. They might not be able to specify the carat weight if mounted.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not much of an expert on emeralds, but I like it! If you have a concern for treatments, of course you'd have to unmount it and send to a lab, but otherwise, I think its extremely lovely.

Thank you! I always buy what I like!!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely. I'm not sure what the fog test is supposed to test when it comes to emerald? I don't think you can rule out the possibility it's a synthetic emerald without going to a lab, but it does look beautiful!

The fog teat is how your breath evaporates on the stone. Instant dissipation leans toward it being a real emerald. I really do love it. When I bought it they suggested it would also also make a gorgeous pendant and I agree.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGL and GIA do test mounted gems at an extra fee if you want a lab report. They might not be able to specify the carat weight if mounted.

Do you have a preference/advice on which one to use??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a preference/advice on which one to use??

AGL tends to be more stringent and conservative about emerald clarity enhancement.

If you don’t care much about how much clarity enhancement the stone has, go with the cheaper lab. I think an AGL gem brief is inexpensive, but you should compare prices.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
AGL tends to be more stringent and conservative about emerald clarity enhancement.

If you don’t care much about how much clarity enhancement the stone has, go with the cheaper lab. I think an AGL gem brief is inexpensive, but you should compare prices.

I think the gem brief is inexpensive, but for ruby, emerald, demantoid and alexandrite you can only go up to 2.99 ct for the gem brief.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is there any markings on the setting indicating what type of metal?

Unfortunately since emerald value/price changes so radically with treatment level it really isnt possible to say much about the emerald without ascertaining the level and type of treatment.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is there any markings on the setting indicating what type of metal?

Unfortunately since emerald value/price changes so radically with treatment level it really isnt possible to say much about the emerald without ascertaining the level and type of treatment.

It’s 14kt white gold. And while I am not going to be disappointed if it’s not an emerald, I would still like to know what exactly the kind of stone it is.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It’s 14kt white gold. And while I am not going to be disappointed if it’s not an emerald, I would still like to know what exactly the kind of stone it is.

Emerald can be filled with synthetic polymer substances which act like glue. In the case of mmoderate to significant levels of treatment, a very significant fraction of the stone is this filler substance. Most emeralds are moderately treated. So to put it very crudely it could be mostly a sophisticated synthetic glue cobbled together with some natural emerald. The only way you are going to reliably tell is by sending it to a lab -- I think GIA gives the type of treatment as well as the level, but AGL will give you a good idea as well. Which is why everyone is telling you to send it for a proper lab report. I am personally of the opinion that it does not matter if it is pretty, and you paid a fair (insignificant) price. But if you really do need to know then the advice above is spot on, you should send it to a lab. Given it is 14 k I would be expecting some level of treatment -- this is normal, the question is how much and what type.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Emerald can be filled with synthetic polymer substances which act like glue. In the case of mmoderate to significant levels of treatment, a very significant fraction of the stone is this filler substance. Most emeralds are moderately treated. So to put it very crudely it could be mostly a sophisticated synthetic glue cobbled together with some natural emerald. The only way you are going to reliably tell is by sending it to a lab -- I think GIA gives the type of treatment as well as the level, but AGL will give you a good idea as well. Which is why everyone is telling you to send it for a proper lab report. I am personally of the opinion that it does not matter if it is pretty, and you paid a fair (insignificant) price. But if you really do need to know then the advice above is spot on, you should send it to a lab. Given it is 14 k I would be expecting some level of treatment -- this is normal, the question is how much and what type.

Thank you for your answer. It is more curiosity on my part. I love to learn about jewelry and value the education the experienced members of the Pricescope community provide. I’ll keep everyone posted on what I find out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results