shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please on BGD ring

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Last week my bf and I bought a 1.2 carat diamond from Brian Gavin and had it set in the 18k yellow gold classic half round solitaire. It arrived today and it is beautiful, but I would like some opinions on the proportions of the ring. I am not a huge fan of thin bands and I was hoping that 2mm would be thick enough, but now I am not sure that it looks as thick as I would like! I am now wondering if I should have gotten the classic knife edge solitaire.

Does anyone have the classic knife edge ring and can share pictures of it? For reference I like the proportions of the Tiffany setting, but I've never seen one on someones hand in person, only in pictures.

Here I've attached some pictures of the ring on my hand; along with a 2mm benchmark ring that to my eye looks thicker (it might be an illusion or just a margin of error in manufacturing)

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_113351.jpg
    IMG_20190308_113351.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20190308_113415.jpg
    IMG_20190308_113415.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190308_113527.jpg
    IMG_20190308_113527.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 47

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Additionally the diamond is set higher than I was expecting it to be from the images I saw on their site. I think if I were to have the setting modified I would have it set lower but I'm not sure how that would affect the overall look of the ring. Anyone have an opinion on how it looks or how a lower setting looks compared to a higher one?

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's classic and looks beautiful on your hand! The streamlined setting really showcases your lovely diamond. But ultimately you have to love it!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful. It looks proportionate to me. However you have to love it.

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
I am far from an expert. Agree with above that ultimately, you have to be satisfied. But I think the proportions are gorgeous and the thin band helps to allow your gorgeous stone to be the soloist in this piece. I like low profile settings based on how practical they are for my job and lifestyle. But I don’t know how that affects the performance of the stone itself (refer back to lack of expert qualifications).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks lovely. While low setting are great for safety, a higher setting does make the diamond look a little larger. In my opinion, there is a balance between the two, but each person has to find where that is for them. I like a little bit wider band as well, but since mine was 2mm, I just added a little wider eternity and that made it work for me. Congratulations, it is a lovely ring!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think it looks beautiful & I would leave it a stone it is, but you need to be happy with it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely perfect! And it looks smashing with your wedding band!

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Absolutely perfect! And it looks smashing with your wedding band!
Thank you! It actually isn't my wedding band, just a gold ring that I have that happens to be 2mm; I was just trying to compare how wide the engagement ring looked next to.
I think it looks lovely. While low setting are great for safety, a higher setting does make the diamond look a little larger. In my opinion, there is a balance between the two, but each person has to find where that is for them. I like a little bit wider band as well, but since mine was 2mm, I just added a little wider eternity and that made it work for me. Congratulations, it is a lovely ring!
Thank you! I am thinking of getting a thicker diamond wedding band to balance out the thinness of the engagement ring.
I talked to my boyfriend about his opinion on the setting and he likes the thin band and doesn't care for the knife edge so I think we are going to stick with this setting but I am going to see if I can have the head lowered; although maybe the height will grow on me in the next few days and I will change my mind! This entire engagement ring business has made me crazy with indecision lol but I am very glad I was able to pick my ring out since I am so picky.

Thank you to everyone for your positive replies!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is just perfect the way it is. The thinner band make the diamond look larger and pop more IMO! Beautiful diamond - congrats!

Can you tell us the specs of the stone?

peonyinlove

Rough_Rock
remember that soon you'll have a wedding band on that finger as well. i'm the other way -- love a thin band, so much so that i don't wear my wedding band on the same finger because i like how thin my band is on my engagement ring! but i imagine that once you add a wedding band, this will become a non issue. maybe go to a jeweller and try on some bands, see if it still bothers you.

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
I think it is just perfect the way it is. The thinner band make the diamond look larger and pop more IMO! Beautiful diamond - congrats!

Can you tell us the specs of the stone?

It is a 1.21 I Si1 from Brian Gavin's signature line!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's perfect! And it really makes your stone stand out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's gorgeous! I'd just eventually add a diamond wedding band to wear below the plain wedding band! That will give you a little more substance on the finger. The diamond is beautiful!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. I think it looks huge. Try it on with many diff wedding bands and decide. If it bugs you now, it will always bug you IMHO

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
I love it and wouldn’t change a thing.
I like the idea of an equally thin plain gold band and another thin diamond band, eventually. It would give you lots of variety and not distract too much from your gorgeous engagement ring.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to be happy with your ring so it really doesn’t matter what we think. I wouldn’t change a thing. It looks perfect in this setting and gorgeous on your hand.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!
The diamond is gorgeous and it looks beautiful on your finger.
I understand what you are thinking about in your initial observations, but I agree with the others in that you should wear it and enjoy being engaged and see if those things begin to fade away. Also, you can change things up if you decide when it comes time to select the wedding band. You wouldn’t want to go though a whole thing to make adjustments here when you ultimately may think differently when the band comes into play.
If you have never worn an engagement ring before it takes a little getting used to. What’s of concern to you today may not be in due time because you bedome accustomed to it.
While it may seem too high for you now, once paired with a band it may not seem so high (and you want it to clear the space for the band).
Also, same thing for the width of the shank... while it seems too narrow for you now, once you pair it with the band it may be just right, like others have already suggested.
It’s gorgeous... and you’re engaged!!! Enjoy!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think it's perfect. The thinner band and the higher setting both make the stone look larger!

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies; I think you are all right that I shouldn't change anything about it! It is a good thing I was forced to wear the ring as it is for a few days because I am loving it more and more every day. I no longer plan to change anything, and that decision was made easier because BGD has informed me that they set the diamond as low as they could have in this setting. Now for the adventure of picking a wedding band!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you have grown to love it as is. FWIW, I think it looks perfect! I'm quite jealous really, you have lovely hands, and I love the yellow gold too.

Enjoy :mrgreen2:

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I know you’ve already decided to keep as is—and I was happy to read that because I think it’s perfect!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results