shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please? Matched pair for rings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Hello gemstone buffs!

I am doing my best to learn more about colored gems, and you are all so very helpful here. I am trying to find a matching pair of under 1 ct each warm-colored stones that would make matching rings. My main concern other than beauty is durability, as I''d like the rings to be for everyday wear. Right now this is sort of experimental, and I am thinking it would be fun to set them in plain matching solitaire settings for my girlfriend and I [we are both women].

PRIMARY GOALS:

Each stone from between .5-1ct
A warm color- red, orange, yellow, or combinations of those. Sunset colors!
2 matched or very similar stones, preferring rounds, but open to any shape that might fir the bill- I''m flexible!
Durable enough for everyday wear.
Preferably under $100 [I don''t know if this is possible, I am just playing with options at this point.]

I would love any suggestions of types of gems that would be appropriate, places [specifically internet sources] to look for stones, or specific stones themselves. My priority is cost over size, I would like to be able to keep this under-budget, as I am a student with limited funds. The current budget for the stones is $100, which is VERY contingent upon whether this is possible with that budget. I am open to suggestions!

I don''t know a lot about this type of stone, but perhaps someone can give some input on this pair of Rhodolite Garnets and whether they''re suitable for everyday wear in terms of durability and if they look promising at all. I won''t be offended if the response is negative! As I said before, I am very new to this, and willing to learn.
http://www.ajsgems.com/product/486f3b61-3df9-4600-aec3-32e8fc123975.aspx
9.gif

Thanks in advance, everyone!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a great idea! In your price range, for a saturated, sparkly stone, I would definitely stick with either garnets or zircons. Pink tourmaline may be a good choice too. All are about 7.5 on the Mohs scale, so pretty hard. They will probably start to show some wear after a few years if you wear them every day, though. I''m not an expert, but that pair at ajsgems looks good to me. Multicolor.com is also very inexpensive.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
If you are not concerned about treatments in gemstones. Those Be treated sapphires seem like they will fit the description you seek. Vivid sunset colors, durable and can be had at very reasonble prices.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your helpful reply! The garnets are definitely my first choice, as they are my Love''s birthstone. I wrote an inquiry to the owners of ajsgems asking if the stones in question have any windowing [I think that''s what it''s called- I''m still learning] or anything else that would make them unsuitable for a ring. If they give me the thumbs up on that, I think I will be purchasing them.

Any other opinions are greatly welcomed!

Date: 12/23/2007 3:28:05 AM
Author: urseberry
Sounds like a great idea! In your price range, for a saturated, sparkly stone, I would definitely stick with either garnets or zircons. Pink tourmaline may be a good choice too. All are about 7.5 on the Mohs scale, so pretty hard. They will probably start to show some wear after a few years if you wear them every day, though. I''m not an expert, but that pair at ajsgems looks good to me. Multicolor.com is also very inexpensive.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I would prefer non-treated gemstones. Just a personal "mindclean" thing, I guess. Normally I wouldn''t care either way, I am definitely not that picky when it comes to lovely shiny things! However, this project is going to be something very special. Thank you for the suggestion, though. Any help is appreciated!

Date: 12/23/2007 4:36:52 AM
Author: colormyworld
If you are not concerned about treatments in gemstones. Those Be treated sapphires seem like they will fit the description you seek. Vivid sunset colors, durable and can be had at very reasonble prices.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I went ahead and made the purchase after receiving an email back from ajs saying the gems have no windowing and are a very nice cut. I''ll post some pictures when I receive them! :)

Thanks for all your help.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets are a great choice. They are very pretty, sparkly and will stand up to daily wear. I can''t wait to see the finished project.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/24/2007 6:57:41 PM
Author: marcyc
Garnets are a great choice. They are very pretty, sparkly and will stand up to daily wear. I can''t wait to see the finished project.

Thanks for the affirmation! I will probably be holding onto them for quite some time before setting them. The project is a really big deal to us- a sort of placeholder "temp" e-ring that has a ton of significance for us both. I put temp in quotes just because it''s probably going to be more like a 7 year thing. Until we finally make things extra official, at a time in our lives when we have significantly better finances [or so we hope]!

I am so nervous and excited about this product.
Does anyone have recommendations for setting these stones? I am looking for something not *too* expensive [we''re students!], but still beautiful. Preferably something with a bit of sparkle on the side, as my girlfriend is not a fan of solitaires. We both prefer white metals.
Any help with settings, suggestions, or a point in the right direction would be great!
16.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
A good local jeweler should be able to provide you with lots of options for setting your stones. A good yet inexpensive choice would be to ask your jeweler to order settings from Stuller. These settings are high quality cast pieces. This one comes in a size appropriate to your center stone, and has a bit of sparkle on the side. Here is a link to the rest of the colored round gemstone category at Stuller.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your help with the setting! That setting is lovely, as are many others on that website. I don''t mean to bother you further, since you''ve already been so helpful, but do you have any idea of approximate prices for Stuller pieces? I hope that isn''t a rude question, but I''m curious and don''t have access to a local jewler until probably a few weeks from now. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone else has suggestions or info it would also be welcome! You are all so nice.
37.gif

Date: 12/25/2007 9:01:44 PM
A good local jeweler should be able to provide you with lots of options for setting your stones. A good yet inexpensive choice would be to ask your jeweler to order settings from Stuller. These settings are high quality cast pieces. This one comes in a size appropriate to your center stone, and has a bit of sparkle on the side. Here is a link to the rest of the colored round gemstone category at Stuller.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Asking a question is never a bother! Unfortunately, I have no idea how much Stuller pieces cost. I only know that they are often suggested on this board when people ask for inexpensive setting suggestions. I would very much like to know how much they cost too! Perhaps you could phone your jeweler? Or since you have your stones, start a new thread in Rocky Talky asking about the cost of Stuller settings. Try searching Pricescope too, as perhaps this topic has been discussed before.

I also did a quick Google search for "stuller" and "price" and found this page: Stellar Jewelry. These 14K basic solitaires seem to run just over $200, so I would hope that the setting I linked above would be no more than $500.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you again for your response. I will check with a local jeweler when I am able, which might not be for another few weeks. When I do receive the stones I will definitely post some pictures here, and perhaps start a threat in RT as well- I know a lot of people frequent that forum, so I might get some really awesome replies! When I have more time I''ll do a site search as well.

Thanks again for being a sweetie and answering my questions. :)

Date: 12/27/2007 5:38:27 PM
Asking a question is never a bother! Unfortunately, I have no idea how much Stuller pieces cost. I only know that they are often suggested on this board when people ask for inexpensive setting suggestions. I would very much like to know how much they cost too! Perhaps you could phone your jeweler? Or since you have your stones, start a new thread in Rocky Talky asking about the cost of Stuller settings. Try searching Pricescope too, as perhaps this topic has been discussed before.

I also did a quick Google search for ''stuller'' and ''price'' and found this page: Stellar Jewelry. These 14K basic solitaires seem to run just over $200, so I would hope that the setting I linked above would be no more than $500.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had rings made very close in style to the one you like and it can run anywhere from $150 up. I think the diamond accents really add a lot to a ring as well. You can ask for estimates from local jewelers as their prices can vary quite a bit.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
That is so heartening to hear. I want the ring to be beautiful, but my budget is limited. Settings in the $150-$200 range would be perfect. I''ll definitely check with local jewelers for price quotes when I get the stones. I''m so excited! Thanks for your help.

Date: 12/28/2007 7:50:41 PM
Author: marcyc
I''ve had rings made very close in style to the one you like and it can run anywhere from $150 up. I think the diamond accents really add a lot to a ring as well. You can ask for estimates from local jewelers as their prices can vary quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results