shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please! EC 2.01 K-VS2 EMERALD CUT DIAMOND

jminner

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I just purchased my first JA EC 2.01 ct. K color VS2. I think I got a good price on a 2ct VS2!

I purchased it loose with the intention of making sure it's love at first sight.

Can anyone please weigh in on the stats? I am not an expert, especially in EC diamonds. I am not adverse to the K color, but the one thing I am hesitant on is that it has an IGI cert. It's not as reputable as GIA and I am wondering if my K will end up being more like an N?

DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE:Emerald
CARAT WEIGHT:2.01
COLOR:K
CLARITY:VS2
POLISH:Very Good
SYMMETRY:Very Good
FLUORESCENCE:None
L/W (MM):8.59*6.13
L/W RATIO:1.40

I also have the ASET and link to the diamond below. I have no idea how to read them! What do you think?

And should i be worried that it has a "long" culet? The JA sales agent said it would just look like another step facet, but again, I don't have any experience ECs...

Any input would be appreciated!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-8474200

EC.png

ASET.png

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
At the end of the day, it depends on how you feel about the stone (vs. what the grading lab says). Do you love the color? Color and clarity are pretty important in EC stones. The clarity looks great in the photo! I'm not sure how quickly the GIA can grade and return a diamond, but you could also send it in for grading if you're curious (make sure they don't inscribe the GIA serial number if you might return it).

jminner

Rough_Rock
At the end of the day, it depends on how you feel about the stone (vs. what the grading lab says). Do you love the color? Color and clarity are pretty important in EC stones. The clarity looks great in the photo! I'm not sure how quickly the GIA can grade and return a diamond, but you could also send it in for grading if you're curious (make sure they don't inscribe the GIA serial number if you might return it).

Thank you for your suggestion! I would like to get it recertified by the GIA either way. I will look into this.

I was thinking of mounting it on a yellow gold setting to offset/compliment the warmth of the stone. But I don't know if it will backfire on me and actually heighten the yellowness?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your suggestion! I would like to get it recertified by the GIA either way. I will look into this.

I was thinking of mounting it on a yellow gold setting to offset/compliment the warmth of the stone. But I don't know if it will backfire on me and actually heighten the yellowness?
ASET looks ok. Video shows good performance. You shouldn’t have a dull stone, based upon the images in the video. VS2 clarity is safe; no obvious inclusions. The color should hide nicely set in YG.
Best way to know for sure if this stone doesn’t show too much color for your eyes is to examine it in variable lighting conditions.
otherwise, it’s quite lovely.

jminner

Rough_Rock
ASET looks ok. Video shows good performance. You shouldn’t have a dull stone, based upon the images in the video. VS2 clarity is safe; no obvious inclusions. The color should hide nicely set in YG.
Best way to know for sure if this stone doesn’t show too much color for your eyes is to examine it in variable lighting conditions.
otherwise, it’s quite lovely.

Thank you! Quite reassuring. :)
I have nothing but my imagination until it’s arrives later this week.

A jeweler I have no history with said they can do better on any stone that the internet sites had to offer. I wonder if it’s an offer I should look into. Is that typically true?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s a beautiful EC! I’d love to see it mounted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look for lots of flashing going on through out the stone (black/white) including down through the center.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful! I have an "L" OEC that usually looks white to me but on occasion I see the yellow tint. I am not color sensitive and like the warmth. When it came I had worn it for a week and never saw the tint once. It seems to be only on cloudy dreary days, but just make sure you love it in all light conditions, bight sunny, cloudy, inside, outside. Good luck!

jminner

Rough_Rock
Everyone is so encouraging. That's great! I will be receiving it on Friday morning and will be posting the diamond here for sure!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look for lots of flashing going on through out the stone (black/white) including down through the center.

Let me clarify my post. I'm trying to tell you what to look for when you see the stone in person. I'm not saying that your stone will have this...I'm
trying to tell you what you should be looking for and seeing in a well-cut emerald.

In other words, my comments were neutral and should not be categorized as "encouraging" or "discouraging".

jminner

Rough_Rock
Let me clarify my post. I'm trying to tell you what to look for when you see the stone in person. I'm not saying that your stone will have this...I'm
trying to tell you what you should be looking for and seeing in a well-cut emerald.

In other words, my comments were neutral and should not be categorized as "encouraging" or "discouraging".

Hi tyty333! Thank you for clarifying! I actually totally understood what you meant, it's just that I don't have the goods to test it yet. I was worried about the center being a black hole because of the "long" culet. But the people at JA assured me it would flash like another step. I am definitely going to be testing it out in all forms of lighting. thank you again for your kind advice. :D

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A culet can behave like a facet. I’d take JA’s word for it, until you are able to see how the stone behaves to YOUR eyes, IRL.
I trust JA. However, everyone sees the same things with different perception. Please keep us informed!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Quite reassuring. :)
I have nothing but my imagination until it’s arrives later this week.

A jeweler I have no history with said they can do better on any stone that the internet sites had to offer. I wonder if it’s an offer I should look into. Is that typically true?

Not necessarily, but, you never know what else is out there.
Start with the one from JA. See what you think.
If you want to challenge the jeweler to best your online find, go for it.
The vendors recommended by PSers are reputable, and trusted. They have a combined experience & expertise equal to hundreds of years in the trade.
I prefer to deal with local Jewelers I know & trust, as well as online vendors who have reputations that precede them. Remember: these vendors are not robots. Their stones are sourced, cut, certified & sold by people.
It’s the luck of the draw, and you should feel confident in, and trust who sources the stone that not only makes your heart sing, but ticks your boxes within your desired budget.

Last edited:

jminner

Rough_Rock
A culet can behave like a facet. I’d take JA’s word for it, until you are able to see how the stone behaves to YOUR eyes, IRL.
I trust JA. However, everyone sees the same things with different perception. Please keep us informed!

I was wondering if JA was just sales oriented and telling me what i wanted to hear about the culet. Good to hear a good word otherwise. I'll definitely keep you posted! Two days!

jminner

Rough_Rock
Not necessarily, but, you never know what else is out there.
Start with the one from JA. See what you think.
If you want to challenge the jeweler to best your online find, go for it.
The vendors recommended by PSers are reputable, and trusted. They have a combined experience & expertise equal to hundreds of years in the trade.
I prefer to deal with local Jewelers I know & trust, as well as online vendors who have reputations that precede them. Remember: these vendors are not robots. Their stones are sourced, cut, certified & sold by people.
It’s the luck of the draw, and you should feel confident in, and trust who sources the stone that not only makes your heart sing, but ticks your boxes within your desired budget.

Thank you. I've fallen in love with every diamond i've ever met. I hope this will be the one. I actually never heard of JA before this experience (always dealt locally) so purchasing a stone online felt very much like cheating on my local jeweler. I'm hoping I won't have to shop around after this.

Speaking of local jewelers, mine once told warned me against sites like BN and JA. He claimed they were where all the less desirable diamonds ended up to be sold at a deep discount. Like a TJ Maxx or Overstock of diamonds of sorts. Is that true?

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
Som
Thank you. I've fallen in love with every diamond i've ever met. I hope this will be the one. I actually never heard of JA before this experience (always dealt locally) so purchasing a stone online felt very much like cheating on my local jeweler. I'm hoping I won't have to shop around after this.

Speaking of local jewelers, mine once told warned me against sites like BN and JA. He claimed they were where all the less desirable diamonds ended up to be sold at a deep discount. Like a TJ Maxx or Overstock of diamonds of sorts. Is that true?

Someone else will fill in the details but until then, so you’re not worried, absolutely not!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely not.

jminner

Rough_Rock
it's friday now.. and it still hasn't shipped...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some stones are located outside the U.S. so they have to be shipped in to JA then shipped out again to you. When is it suppose to ship?
Have they said whether they have it or not?

jminner

Rough_Rock
Some stones are located outside the U.S. so they have to be shipped in to JA then shipped out again to you. When is it suppose to ship?
Have they said whether they have it or not?

you're dead on. that's what they JUST told me.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'm no expert but I just bought a 1 ct. K emerald cut after months of looking at imaging, and I think the JA video looks very good. It's when the keel is dead-looking that you should worry. And on Leon Mege's website he says these older cuts look best with a bit of warmth. JA has a return policy. You might really love it.

jminner

Rough_Rock
Well here it is! It’s definitely warm compared to my other colorless diamond rings so it gives me some cause for pause, but I love it? I don’t think I’ll get better carat bang for my buck either. My husband wants me to go look at other better color EC diamonds that are smaller, but I’m not sure that a few color bumps will swing me in another direction.

Sooo what do you think? Too warm? My friends are diamond snobs so I am afraid they’re going to ask about the color and I’d have to have some explanations... silly huh?

3C4D3A50-1C32-4EA9-A70D-5F35CA3AB266.jpeg 94DABCD3-5FED-4B94-B521-64FACA87BBF8.jpeg Just perched in one of my old pt settings... F8979C2C-661F-48BE-902F-24A72655471B.jpeg
77EEC202-30D7-4F1C-8246-EAD82480FB6C.jpeg

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s beautiful but is the color bothering you? It so, I’m not sure that will change. I also always marched to the beat of my own drum so I never felt my actions needed to be explained. My ER is a K. My friends have higher colors. To me I shouldn’t have to explain why I have a K, yk?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only thought to share is that it looks a little hazy to me, as though it needs cleaning in a degreaser like Dawn. I am actually a fan of warm diamonds, but they should look “crystal clear”.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I guess I'm really not color sensitive because I don't see the color in these pics. LOL. I totally know what you're saying, I have some "jewelry snobs" in my circle too and I have an "L" so they may be thinking it looks dirty or yellow or whatever, but at the end of the day, I love the size and I paid what i was comfortable paying. I really don't give a damn, I am with my diamond 24/7 and love it every minute. If i see someone for a dinner once a month and they look down on it, thats a reflection on them and their own insecurities or snobbery.

ALL that matters is YOU love it! So really make sure you look at it in all lights and make sure the color doesnt bother YOU and forget about everyone else!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I don't see yellow, even from the side I see ivory or antique. It's large and beautiful. If you love it, that's the last word.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK since this is Rocky Talky and you are asking here are my thoughts. And I am sorry to come here and burst anybody's bubble but you just cannot tell color from online photos. I mean, maybe if you have it next to a GIA graded stone that is whiter or warmer you can see the difference but to say one can tell the color from a photo it's very challenging.

This is what matters. Do you like it? Do you love it? Does anything about this stone bother you? Because very likely if it bothers you now that issue might just become magnified over time.
Do you see warmth in the stone that you do not care for? There is no right or wrong when it comes to color preferences.
It's just what you love and want to wear.

Some people notice a tint in even a G stone and some don't notice it in an L.

Some see the tint but like the warmth and some see it and do not like it.

It comes down to individual preferences. Always.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The color fits YG very well.

jminner

Rough_Rock
OK I am back. I did not realize I had so many replies! My apologies. Sooo... After a week or so with the stone, I have come to the conclusion that YES, I am not only okay with the rock, but I am in love with it. I really liked the description of it looking antique or ivory, vs yellow. So much more romantic!

Mostly, I am happy about how big the stone is for the cost. I don't need to pay extra for things I do not see (like clarity beyond a VS) and color. Whereas I definitely see size! Besides, my engagement ring is the crown jewel of my collection, so I feel like I already have a perfect stone.

HOORAY! I will post photos after I officially set it. I want to do a classic side baguette look in yellow gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results