shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please! 0.96 ct RB

RockChucker30

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for an E-Ring for my GF and think I've found a stone.

The link:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8255/

Price: $5,680

Specs:

Carat Weight: 0.96ct
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Premium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 2121834078
In House: Yes
Width: 6.34mm
Length: 6.30mm
Depth: 3.93mm
Table Percentage: 56.00%
Depth Percentage: 62.20%
Policy: lifetime guarantee

The HCA is 1.6.

GOG is NOT listing this as a H&A stone b/c one of the hearts is too small. I called GOG and they confirmed that it is eye clean.

My likes:

- Fits my budget
- Just under a carat
- LOOKS like a H&A (close enough for me anyway)
- H, SI1 (eye clean)
All this should add up to excellent value.

My concerns:
- I'm a total newbie and scared to death to spend this much money on something I've never seen and know basically nothing about.
- I THINK it's a good value, but what do I know? Is it???
- Will she like it?

My final concern is whether this stone will look good in the setting she likes. She wears a size 5.25 to 5.5 and this is her favorite so far, a Cathedral Pave from A. Jaffe:

Will an H stone look yellow on a white gold ring?

Guys, please set my mind at ease!

Pic1.jpg

107093.jpg

107093_oth1.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great and would look really nice in that setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you must be doing something right because you have lucked right into a fantastic stone! It is almost a carat and will appear to be a carat yet you won't be paying the price increase that comes with 1.0. H SI1 is an excellent choice when eyeclean. My diamond ring is also H color and I am completely satisifed with it.

Congrats on a terrific buy! :appl: :appl: :appl: I love the diamond!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and as far as the setting is concerned, ask GOG what they have very similar. That is a pretty common style and they might be able to find you one without paying for that brand name. Come back and show us pics, though, and we'll give you more opinions! ;))

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I agree with diamondseeker. You should ask GOG about the setting, I'm sure they have something very similar so you can get everything done in one place and save on it as well =)

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
That looks nice. I can barely make out the inclusion. I had to look at them pic that pointed them out. How much is it? You may have found a good bargain!

RockChucker30

Rough_Rock
I didn't realize that putting it on reserve removed the price on GOG's website. I've added it to my OP.

It was $5680 with a slight discount for bank wire. Is this a good deal?

Do the ASET and DiamXRay look OK? I have NO experience with those.

Thanks!!!

Pecel

Rough_Rock
This stone has crown angle 35 and 40.8 pavilion angle and total depth 62.2% Isn't it slightly out of ideal proportions (34.5 and 40.75, 60-62%)? If so, could it have any noticeable impact on light performance of that stone?

RockChucker30

Rough_Rock
Pecel|1304455234|2911452 said:
This stone has crown angle 35 and 40.8 pavilion angle and total depth 62.2% Isn't it slightly out of ideal proportions (34.5 and 40.75, 60-62%)? If so, could it have any noticeable impact on light performance of that stone?

I'm definitely no expert, but here's my take on your question. The HCA is 1.6 on this stone.

Link to the HCA calculator:

http://www.ideal-scope.com/hca.asp

Here's the HCA analysis:

The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good

I believe that means that this stone is slightly steep and deep, but would still be a good performer.

Anyone else better with the HCA than me please chime in.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
definitely not steep and deep. the ASET shows no leakage. I wouldn't worry too much about extremely narrow ranges, the HCA/ASET confirm that these angles work well together.

RockChucker30

Rough_Rock
Sweet! Thanks Sig.

Can anyone set my mind at ease as to the value at $5680? If I'm right about this being a good value then it'll be off reserve and sold by tomorrow!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only reason I usually say 60-62.0 for depth is that sometimes a deeper stone can make the stone's diameter a little less, but there are other factors involved in this such as the girdle size, etc. But the measurements on that stone are just fine! Price is excellent! I think if it had that .04 more, it would be around $1000 more!

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
the depth is on the longer end, but it is still fine.

GOG is not the cheapest (in terms of e-tailers), but you are paying for their service, which is outstanding. Also, GOG filters their stones, so they will not blindly you sell you something bad. However, if you were to add .04 ct to the weight, there would be around $500 price increase, no mater where you buy it.

Seeing as how supply seems to be dwindling for some unknown reason (well...we know why), if this is within your budget, buy it.

RockChucker30

Rough_Rock
That's awesome news! I'm buying it tomorrow.

Thanks so much! Price Scpoe ROCKS.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! And do ask them about settings!

RockChucker30

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone. I'll be buying today.

I feel really blessed to find this diamond because it has EVERY aspect I was hoping for.

- just under a carat = price break
- looks like H&A but isn't priced like it
- H, SI eye clean = value price point
- GIA certified
- Excellent HCA
- reputable company with a great return policy and lifetime trade in/up and buy back policy.

I've already sent them pics of the setting she likes to see if they can find something similar.

Thanks again to all.....without PS I would've been lost. With everything I've learned from this site I feel like I'm getting a diamond that's one in a million and truly is the most diamond for my dollar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results