Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Wedding Photographer Please

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
72
Hello,

I am new to the bridal forum, but found my engagement ring with help from PS!

Our wedding is September 14, 2013 and we have booked our venue. I am now beginning to look for a photographer. I really don't know much about photography, but have met with two photographer's and clicked with both of them. One came through a personal recommendation, and she has a package that better fits what we want and need.

Would you lovely ladies take a look at her portfolio and give me some feedback? http://www.whitneystanek.com/

Thank you! I am so excited to join the BWW forum :wavey:
 

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
72
Amys Bling|1332172320|3152023 said:
What area are you in?
Hi Amy,

The wedding will be in Sparta, NJ. Fiance and I live in Washington, DC but we are getting married near our hometown. We both grew up in Morris County, NJ.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
I got married in the neighboring own- Andover!! Which venue are you using?? I think the photographer you found is great... I can also get you names of others friends and I have used in that area if you are not totally sold yet..

:) yay Sussex county brides ;-)
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
SCDP|1332170178|3152004 said:
Hello,

I am new to the bridal forum, but found my engagement ring with help from PS!

Our wedding is September 14, 2013 and we have booked our venue. I am now beginning to look for a photographer. I really don't know much about photography, but have met with two photographer's and clicked with both of them. One came through a personal recommendation, and she has a package that better fits what we want and need.

Would you lovely ladies take a look at her portfolio and give me some feedback? http://www.whitneystanek.com/

Thank you! I am so excited to join the BWW forum :wavey:
Hi SCDP! Did you see an entire wedding from this photographer? Photography is really a matter of personal preference/style but I would ask the following questions

-How many photographs will I receive from the wedding?
-How long after the wedding will I receive the pictures? (also do you get a DVD? can you print your own?)
-Does she do her own editing? How many pictures are edited?

Also make sure to look at both posed portraits and candids to make sure you like both from this photographer!
 

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
72
Amys Bling|1332175060|3152076 said:
I got married in the neighboring own- Andover!! Which venue are you using?? I think the photographer you found is great... I can also get you names of others friends and I have used in that area if you are not totally sold yet..

:) yay Sussex county brides ;-)
Thank you! Our venue is the Lake Mohawk Country Club, we really fell in love the moment we walked in. It was the 5th venue we visited.

I would love some more recommendations. My hope is to keep it around $3,000 with an album included, and possibly an engagement session. Willing to go up to $3,500 but I really have to draw the line there.
 

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
72
slg47|1332175296|3152081 said:
SCDP|1332170178|3152004 said:
Hello,

I am new to the bridal forum, but found my engagement ring with help from PS!

Our wedding is September 14, 2013 and we have booked our venue. I am now beginning to look for a photographer. I really don't know much about photography, but have met with two photographer's and clicked with both of them. One came through a personal recommendation, and she has a package that better fits what we want and need.

Would you lovely ladies take a look at her portfolio and give me some feedback? http://www.whitneystanek.com/

Thank you! I am so excited to join the BWW forum :wavey:
Hi SCDP! Did you see an entire wedding from this photographer? Photography is really a matter of personal preference/style but I would ask the following questions

-How many photographs will I receive from the wedding?
-How long after the wedding will I receive the pictures? (also do you get a DVD? can you print your own?)
-Does she do her own editing? How many pictures are edited?

Also make sure to look at both posed portraits and candids to make sure you like both from this photographer!
Thanks, Slg. Yes, she shared a full album with us and with the package she is offering we get:
- 2 photographers for up to 8 hours
- engagement session and STD cards
- album
- 400-600 completely edited images on a DVD with full rights to print as we please
-online gallery of proof images
- turnaround is about 4-6 weeks
- she does her own editing

I think she provides a lot for a good price, and she is relatively new to the business (she works as an art teacher but hopes to do full time photography soon). I just wanted to make sure people thought that her work looked professional. My fiance and I both like it, but I'm trying to do due diligence.

Thanks for the suggestions! Great questions to keep in mind when comparing photographers and packages.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Love lake Mohawk- went To a wedding there last July. I'll ask my friends who they used for their wedding there...
 

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
889
Hi SCDP! Lake Mohawk is just beautiful. I spent many happy summer days at that country club with my grandmother, who had a house right on the lake. My other grandmother, as it happened, lived in Morris county. many happy memories in both places. Your wedding will be beautiful.

I agree that photography is very much a matter of personal taste, but I like the photographer you're considering from her website. The package sounds like it includes quite a bit, so if you're happy with the syle and the price, I think she's a good choice. Heck, I haven't chosen a photographer for my wedding yet, so I may look into her as well!
 

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
72
blacksand|1332180135|3152167 said:
Hi SCDP! Lake Mohawk is just beautiful. I spent many happy summer days at that country club with my grandmother, who had a house right on the lake. My other grandmother, as it happened, lived in Morris county. many happy memories in both places. Your wedding will be beautiful.

I agree that photography is very much a matter of personal taste, but I like the photographer you're considering from her website. The package sounds like it includes quite a bit, so if you're happy with the syle and the price, I think she's a good choice. Heck, I haven't chosen a photographer for my wedding yet, so I may look into her as well!
I had never been to the Lake Mohawk area, and what a beautiful surprise it was! I can only imagine how special those summers must have been.

You should contact her! Whitney is very sweet, she and I met over Skype since I live out of town. You all are helping me get closer to making a decision. (Plus, I checked your wedding date and it won't interfere with ours so go right ahead and book if you want. :naughty:) I think her package is great, although I plan to upgrade the album to one of the higher quality ones she offers in more expensive packages.
 

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
889
SCDP|1332180879|3152180 said:
You should contact her! Whitney is very sweet, she and I met over Skype since I live out of town. You all are helping me get closer to making a decision. (Plus, I checked your wedding date and it won't interfere with ours so go right ahead and book if you want. :naughty:) I think her package is great, although I plan to upgrade the album to one of the higher quality ones she offers in more expensive packages.
Oh, don't worry! I'd never steal your photographer away from you if it conflicted with your wedding date. Sorry, I should have made that clear! I hope you don't mind my using you as inspiration. I have to get my behind in gear with this wedding planning stuff, and I have no clue where to start with photographers!
 

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
72
blacksand|1332188659|3152279 said:
SCDP|1332180879|3152180 said:
You should contact her! Whitney is very sweet, she and I met over Skype since I live out of town. You all are helping me get closer to making a decision. (Plus, I checked your wedding date and it won't interfere with ours so go right ahead and book if you want. :naughty:) I think her package is great, although I plan to upgrade the album to one of the higher quality ones she offers in more expensive packages.
Oh, don't worry! I'd never steal your photographer away from you if it conflicted with your wedding date. Sorry, I should have made that clear! I hope you don't mind my using you as inspiration. I have to get my behind in gear with this wedding planning stuff, and I have no clue where to start with photographers!
Of course I don't mind! It would be so great if there were two of us on here using the same photographer. We could give each other pointers and check out one another's pics. I think it would be fantastic.

My planning so far has come in spurts, I know how it feels. I am not a detail person, so I am getting the big picture stuff done pretty easily but think that the little things will take more time. (Such as picking out invitations, deciding on flowers, that kind of thing). Good luck!
 

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
4,881
Given where you live I think thats a nice deal for the amount of stuff you get. Some people might want ALL of their photos edited but I only got 400 back from my wedding (didn't have a traditional reception, just a looooong dinner and cocktail hour) and that was *plenty* so I think 400-600 that she includes is nice.

8 hours should be plenty of time, especially with two photographers.

I like that she includes STD cards and an engagement session. I think doing a photoshoot together before the wedding is a great idea because you learn how to be comfortable together in front of the camera.

I like her style and perspective. I like her editing as well.

Overall, I'd say she's a great choice!

If you want some more ideas check out wpja.com for additional photojournalist-style photographers in your area. This is how I found my photograher and his style is fairly similar to the one mentioned in this thread.
 

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
72
Clairitek|1332197492|3152383 said:
Given where you live I think thats a nice deal for the amount of stuff you get. Some people might want ALL of their photos edited but I only got 400 back from my wedding (didn't have a traditional reception, just a looooong dinner and cocktail hour) and that was *plenty* so I think 400-600 that she includes is nice.

8 hours should be plenty of time, especially with two photographers.

I like that she includes STD cards and an engagement session. I think doing a photoshoot together before the wedding is a great idea because you learn how to be comfortable together in front of the camera.

I like her style and perspective. I like her editing as well.

Overall, I'd say she's a great choice!

If you want some more ideas check out wpja.com for additional photojournalist-style photographers in your area. This is how I found my photograher and his style is fairly similar to the one mentioned in this thread.
Thanks, Clairitek. I am now waiting for some references to check, and then I think we may move forward and book.

Does anyone think it's too soon to decide on a photographer? Our wedding is not until September of 2013, but I also know September is a busy wedding month.
 

Karen Gannon

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2009
Messages
39
I recognised the Nassau Inn in two of her pictures, which is where I was married in 1985!! I have spent the last week looking at hundres of photos, mostly from Style Me Pretty, etc and other sources. The photos are something I am really willing to splurge on and she seems like she has got a good eye and talent. One thing she has to be familiar with is the lighting in that location. That is so important. Would it me I would hire her!!!
 

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
4,881
I don't think its too soon to book if you are certain you want her! This way you can pay 2012 prices for a 2013 service.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    A 1.7ct Upgrade For A 17th Anniversary
    A 1.7ct Upgrade For A 17th Anniversary
    A Classic Solitaire
    A Classic Solitaire
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top