shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this ruby ring

Gmx

Rough_Rock
A8C234CD-E2E5-4D0D-9BFC-4A56DFFCD6FD.jpeg Hi,
I bought this ruby ring a few days ago. I was at the local outlet mall and one jewelry store was closing, so we wanted to check it out. I found this pretty ring originally around $2700 but was on sale and with some negotiation we were able to get it for around $1400.
I chose it because it had the darkest red color in their tray. I asked if it was glass filled, but the sales guy looked confused and said it was a natural ruby. Not synthetic or lab created. The other sales guy also said it was a natural ruby, put it in the cleaning machine and completed the sale. What do you think? I haven’t technically used it. It is within the return period. I am having second thoughts not because I don’t like it, but because I feel I should have done my research first. Ruby jewelry is my weakness, and I found it within my budget.
By the way, it is marked QCD and 18k on the inside. The diamonds are about 0.3 ctw and the ruby is “oval 6x4”. Keep it? Return it? Get it appraised? Thanks

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I would almost guarantee it is glass filled.
The main reason being price, an untreated ruby of that size and colour would be thousands for just the ruby.
Real, natural rubies invariably come with certification to proudly confirm their provenance and justify their astronomical price.
A Mall jewellery shop having a “closing down sale” is not selling real, untreated natural rubies.
The sales guy was purposely obtuse, vendors consider glass filled rubies “natural” because somewhere in the gem is actually natural ruby except it has been bleached, super high heated and glass filled to turn an ugly hunk of rubbish “natural ruby” into something saleable.
Google “Macy rubies”. Macy’s was blithely selling glass filled rubies as “real natural rubies” until they got busted for misleading and deceptive selling.
Glass filled rubies are not durable, not able to be cleaned in ultrasonic cleaners or jewellers pickle and get some acid ie lemon juice on that gem and it will deteriorate.
Me, I’d return it.
If you can’t afford the thousands for a proper natural ruby, with certification, I’d buy a synthetic ruby. Synthetic rubies are the same chemical composition as natural rubies but without pretense or aggressive treatments to hide their “flaws” so are very robust, hard wearing gems that will last.

Gmx

Rough_Rock
FB193AED-AB80-4A07-8650-72361B779D28.png
The main reason being price, an untreated ruby of that size and colour would be thousands for just the ruby.
Real, natural rubies invariably come with certification to proudly confirm their provenance and justify their astronomical price.
A Mall jewellery shop having a “closing down sale” is not selling real, untreated natural rubies.
The sales guy was purposely obtuse, vendors consider glass filled rubies “natural” because somewhere in the gem is actually natural ruby except it has been bleached, super high heated and glass filled to turn an ugly hunk of rubbish “natural ruby” into something saleable.
Google “Macy rubies”. Macy’s was blithely selling glass filled rubies as “real natural rubies” until they got busted for misleading and deceptive selling.
Glass filled rubies are not durable, not able to be cleaned in ultrasonic cleaners or jewellers pickle and get some acid ie lemon juice on that gem and it will deteriorate.
Me, I’d return it.
If you can’t afford the thousands for a proper natural ruby, with certification, I’d buy a synthetic ruby. Synthetic rubies are the same chemical composition as natural rubies but without pretense or aggressive treatments to hide their “flaws” so are very robust, hard wearing gems that will last.
Thanks for the info. I found this other ring from the jewelry search here on price scope. They don’t mention treatment and the price is “reasonable “
Is it better quality?

Gmx

Rough_Rock
Me, I’d return it.
I have another question I forgot to ask. Could the ruby be heated but not glass filled? I checked out blue Nile rubies and they mention they are heated. Is that an acceptable treatment?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a look at B2C jewels and they only seem to have that ring style with sapphire.
First thing I noticed is that B2C seem to be using digitally produced photos ie that photo is not an actual ring. It’s a “created” image. So what you actually buy and get isn’t what you see in the photo.
They make no mention of treatment or even if the gemstones are natural. They could be manmade, they could be BE treated, they could be glass filled. They provide GIA certificates but only for diamonds.
With rubies, heating is to be expected BUT there’s heating and there’s “heating”. Low heat to dissolve some rutile inclusions is acceptable, high heat with flux and/or Beryllium diffusion is not. And if vendors can “pull the wool over your eyes” with vague and non specific descriptions, they will.
Because rubies are rare and valuable, it’s a jungle out there. Unless you are buying a ruby with a respectable lab report, who knows what you might be buying. And it matters because while a 1 carat glass filled, BE treated “natural” ruby looks to the casual observer the same as 1 carat untreated natural ruby the price difference is like 50 cents to between $3,000 and $6,000.
With a “proper lab report” H or H (a) is acceptable, but with H (b) and H (c) you are in flux / glass filled territory. And not all labs test for Beryillium diffusion, this is a process that enhances colour, it is permanent but it’s artifical interference and not acceptable unless disclosed and the price really low.
And just to make it even more difficult, people will sell gems with “fake” lab reports, these are everywhere on eBay and the “labs” are generally Indian or from other Asian areas. You can only trust reputable lab reports.

Gmx

Rough_Rock
I had a look at B2C jewels and they only seem to have that ring style with sapphire.
First thing I noticed is that B2C seem to be using digitally produced photos ie that photo is not an actual ring. It’s a “created” image. So what you actually buy and get isn’t what you see in the photo.
They make no mention of treatment or even if the gemstones are natural. They could be manmade, they could be BE treated, they could be glass filled. They provide GIA certificates but only for diamonds.
With rubies, heating is to be expected BUT there’s heating and there’s “heating”. Low heat to dissolve some rutile inclusions is acceptable, high heat with flux and/or Beryllium diffusion is not. And if vendors can “pull the wool over your eyes” with vague and non specific descriptions, they will.
Because rubies are rare and valuable, it’s a jungle out there. Unless you are buying a ruby with a respectable lab report, who knows what you might be buying. And it matters because while a 1 carat glass filled, BE treated “natural” ruby looks to the casual observer the same as 1 carat untreated natural ruby the price difference is like 50 cents to between $3,000 and $6,000.
With a “proper lab report” H or H (a) is acceptable, but with H (b) and H (c) you are in flux / glass filled territory. And not all labs test for Beryillium diffusion, this is a process that enhances colour, it is permanent but it’s artifical interference and not acceptable unless disclosed and the price really low.
And just to make it even more difficult, people will sell gems with “fake” lab reports, these are everywhere on eBay and the “labs” are generally Indian or from other Asian areas. You can only trust reputable lab reports.
WOW thank you so much! I greatly appreciate this info.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I would say return the ring and keep looking. With your budget you can find a natural ruby that hasn’t been glass-filled. Here’s one on Ivy & Rose.

https://ivyandrose.com/products/nat...ng-cocktail-yellow-gold-satin-finish-matte-ct

They have other ruby rings too, including GIA-carted loose stones. Here is a tip: they are on eBay as mydiamondzone. eBay has been running random one-day 15% sitewide sales this year. If you catch one, you’ll save up to $100.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go so far as to say you were intentionally misled as it's amazing how many jewelers don't know much more than the general public about colored stones - and that "natural" doesn't mean it hasn't gone through enhancements - even high end shops like Tiffany's don't make blanket guarantees.

On their web-site, B2C Jewels does state that their stones may be enhanced on their web-site
https://www.b2cjewels.com/education/gemstone-value-guide

It's a pretty ring but if you want a natural low heat-only ruby, I would keep looking.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go so far as to say you were intentionally misled as it's amazing how many jewelers don't know much more than the general public about colored stones - and that "natural" doesn't mean it hasn't gone through enhancements - even high end shops like Tiffany's don't make blanket guarantees.

On their web-site, B2C Jewels does state that their stones may be enhanced on their web-site
https://www.b2cjewels.com/education/gemstone-value-guide

It's a pretty ring but if you want a natural low heat-only ruby, I would keep looking.
Heavens, they are so “sly” aren’t they!
Using words like “Enhancement” and “Enrichment” to decribe altered “gems” as if it’s a good thing that total crap corundum is bleached, colour diffused and all the cracks filled up with lead glass!

Gmx

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for all your replies. I actually took a ring to an appraiser. Actually my husband did. I was expecting that I got a horrible quality ruby. The lady told my husband that this is a natural ruby. He asked her about heating and she said that I see no evidence of that. He mentioned about glass filled rubies, and she said no that is not it. Were we just lucky this time? I’m thinking of taking it to another appraiser to confirm what she said.

mina78

Rough_Rock
The only meaningful appraisal is a GIA or equivalent lab report. As mentioned by others everything else is simple speculation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results