shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this ruby please :)

avidcollector

Rough_Rock
It is definitely a ruby (showing the typical blue/red spectrum when eye tested).

The piece it is set in is antique, and interesting in itself - the clasp is not mass-produced, so made for the item and stamped 10k. But the brooch itself tests as 14k - tested by family friend who is a retired jeweller.

The ruby is eye-clean, and redder when just looking at it against your skin in real life ...compared to how it looks in this photo (at least on my computer) where it is quite purple/pink. The photograph was taken with led lighting against a white backdrop.

With a 10x loupe there are some minor inclusions, but I can not see striae (which I know can be hard to spot). I have tried under 40x but honestly, I find it impossible to focus properly.

Apologies as I have posted to the forums twice with the same brooch - after looking around the site I realised other gem lovers may have opinions on whether it is worth getting the ruby itself valued (2 hr drive for me and about $80 au dollars).

I've had it for a number of years, and love it, but if it's only worth the gold weight I would wear it more often. However, I've always had a feeling this ruby might be worth more than I think, so I've kept it tucked away safe .. I haven't come across this design in a brooch since owning it, and it is clearly geared towards showing off the rubyView media item 122520View media item 122519.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Hmmm...Sounds to me like its sentimental value exceeds any potential intrinsic monetary value. I would have it tested just because it's something so precious to you. Learning about the heirloom family stones is what me into gems in the first place!

avidcollector

Rough_Rock
Hi Muhammad - not much sentimental value to be honest, but I do like it.
But I understand how your interest was piqued by the family gemstones - my grandmother was an avid collector, and also a fossicker, so we have some jewellery set with gems she found herself, and those I would never sell.

As far as this brooch goes, going by what I see in the loupe I lean towards thinking it's a natural stone .. but I haven't handled many rubies and most have been synthetic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results