shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this OEC?

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I know this post is worth nothing without pictures :angryfire: , but would still like opinions please.

1.67 OEC
I2
G
64.6% D
53% T
7.36 X 7.31

The stone has lovely color and sparkle and is eye clean to me. The inclusions are crystals & feathers.

My only concern is that for 1.67 carats, the measurements seem a bit on the small side.

The seller is asking $4200.
Seem like a good price?

Additional info:
My ring size is 5. Actually it’s more my knuckle that’s a 5. :rolleyes: The finger itself is more like a 4.
I have a variety of cz’s to try out different sizes and cuts and dug out one that’s 7.4 mm--it looks quite nice on my finger. The stone is set in a vintage setting (which I sadly don’t care for) that has double prongs on the corners and side stones, so it was a little hard to get a feeling for the exact look, but it did seem nice/large.

He had a variety of OECs G-L at least, so I was able to look at different colors. The stone was warm, but I preferred it over an E he showed me. It had better faceting, in my opinion, and nicer flashes of color.

I went through about 4 other stores and saw at the low end a .90ish with an eye visible feather-$2500 and a 2+ ct, G, SI1 at the higher end, but I am really kind of stuck on this 1.67.

Not making a decision today. Am going to sleep on it for a day or two and would value and appreciate your opinions.

Thank you so much!
:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The depth on a lot of OEC's makes them face up smaller than well cut modern round brilliants, so that sort of comes with the territory. I'd be pretty wary of an I2 personally. I'd want an appraiser to look at it to be sure there aren't structural issues with feathers.

Does it have a grading report and which lab? Price is too high if ungraded or EGL, and even GIA.

But I don't think anyone can really give an opinion without pictures. That's the only way we can judge them at all.

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Yes! Certification from PGL. I think they're respectable?

Thank you! =) That's so helpful! I was looking through old threads and Enerchi has practically the same carat weight, but hers is 7.59 x 7.46, so that made me think twice.

If I go back I'll get pictures.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zlata|1363232084|3404514 said:
Yes! Certification from PGL. I think they're respectable?

No. They're not. What is PGL? I have never heard of it. The only respectable grading labs are GIA and AGS. However, it has become a standard that old cuts be certified through EGL, too.. though the color and clarity combo on EGL certificates should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Honestly, I don't care about certs on old cuts. These are the types of cuts that really your eyes have much say over it. But I would want to compare the price to *similar* status stones… and find out what the TRUE color and clarity grades would be, as if they were graded by GIA. Is this G really a G? Not likely. Which is fine. The popular color for old cuts tends to be L/M anyway. But don't pay the price as if it were a G. Also, the clarity freaks me out a bit. Whatever PGL is probably grades very loosely, and if they consider it a I2, it is probably very very included. I have nothing against inclusions at all, and am very fond of my own I1 Freckles OEC… but for something to be worn on a ring, it has to be structurally safe. If any of the inclusions would make it easier to break, it should be avoided.

But yes, photos please.

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to post, Madelise. =)

Although I only registered this past December, I found this board months before that and have been reading and learning so much. I know GIA is preferred (but not for old cuts) and EGL US is a distant second, but I searched old threads for PGL (Pacific Gem Lab) and it gets very nice reviews from at least one other appraiser on this board.

Yes, we discussed structural issues, but I will confirm and actually take or borrow a loupe to view more closely.

It is very pretty, but don't want to overpay and, again, wondering if it isn't a little small for the carat weight.

Pictures. CHECK. ;)) Soo appreciate the feedback even without the requisite pictures!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
An OEC in G color? Can be rare!

I'd be leery of the grading for color unless it's GIA. I'd assume it's more like I/J color, and I2... well if they are lenient on color what about the I2 grading? Is it eye clean?

The table/depth can be typical for OEC's and they do face up smaller, the price is fine IMO for that size but not sure about the I2 grading. However if you like the way it looks and it fits your bill then your eyes are the most important. It's hard to say much from just #'s.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would ask them to point out the inclusions to you. An I2 is most likely not going to be eye clean and you may not have been able to see inclusions in those lighting conditions. I'd hate for you to find them later and fixate on it.

I'm alway curious as to whether appraisers (like this seems to be) use the GIA scale or an EGl type scale.

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Mara Totally understand what you and Madelise are saying regarding the sliding scale for color & clarity. I did actually hold it by its side up to a white sheet of paper and it was a tinge yellow from the side, IMO. Hard to get a great view as it was in the setting. The E was whitewhite and this one was not. Thank you for responding to my question regarding cost.

heraanderson Good point about possibly fixating on inclusions later. I did pull it out of the bright light and shaded it with my hand and it was still very pretty.

If I pay it another visit will ask to have inclusions pointed out and verify no structural issues-feathers extending to table, etc.

...aaaannd get pictures!

*Edit: Oh, that's right. PGL doesn't provide a certification. It only provides an appraisal. Important difference. Thanks for reminding me of that, heraanderson.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has it been clarity enhanced?

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Wow. Good question. Honestly, that did not occur to me and I mostly just scanned the appraisal for the depth/table. I don't think it has been, but that will definitely be one of my first questions & will look at the appraisal to verify. Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it is a treatment that needs to be disclosed. I guess I'm just suspicious of eye-clean I2s. Also, check for haziness in several different lighting environments, lots of little little inclusions can sometimes look hazy.

Zlata

Rough_Rock
It seriously didn't occur to me that an older stone would be clarity enhanced. Duh. I would definitely check under a loupe and different light, natural light to look for cloudiness and find out exactly why it's I2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results