shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this emerald ring

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm new to PS and I love so much information can be found here.
I would like to ask your opinions on this ring and I hope I could learn a bit from you. First, about a ring itself, I feel a bit selfcouncious, I usually wear halo ovals, and this is my first and only ring in half hoop style. Second, I don't know how to understand quality of those emeralds. I've read a bit on PS, but I just don't know how to use this knowledge in practice now. I can't even answer to myself very simple questios, like do they glow or are flat? Are there inclusions? How to describe the color? And are those black areas windowing/extinctions? Do they take away from the ring?

Photos I'm posting are quite representative how the stones look IRL. In some lightings color is deeper and sometimes just a bit lighter (watery?). Also, when I look carefully, I can see each stone has a bit different size, thickness and also color, outside stones are more blue, and inside ones bigger and more yellowish. The tcw of emeralds is 1ct, I have no information of their origin.

So if you could give your opinions, I would greatly appreciate.
20180321_160314.jpg 20180321_164420.jpg 20180321_154519.jpg 20180321_155204.jpg 20180321_155236.jpg 20180321_155748.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, and hope they would come along soon to post.

However, based on the photos alone, here's my view on the piece and stones.

I like their green with noticeable blue colour.

The stones appear to be rather too clear without much inclusions, and this caused me to be concerned that they could be synthetic stones.

I like the ring because it is in white metal and for their crisp blue green colour.

DK :))

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you dk168. I hope they are not synthetic, as I paid a lot (in my view) and they are from a very reputable jeweler that doesn't do synthetic, also they do not have many gemstone jewelry, mostly diamonds. They told me emeralds are not treated, I'm not sure about oil. Thanks for your input!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most emeralds are oiled as soon as they come out of the ground. So likely they are treated with something.

Nothing wrong with treatments as long as they are stable and disclosed.

You would not know unless the stones had some sort of report with them. The dealer is IMO just trying to make the sale and telling you what you want to hear. Maybe he really believes they're not treated. But he likely didn't bother checking either, but he believes whatever his supply chain told him.

Trust but verify is something you'll hear around here a lot.

So, here's what I will say. The ring is very nice. The stones are nice. If you really want to the truth about the stones, send to a highly respected lab that will take rings, and ask for a report on the stones.

Also FWIW, I've seen synthetics paired with real diamonds and real gold. Nothing wrong with that if thats the look you're after and, its disclosed. In your case make sure you take action if you're withing a limited return period. I won't even pretend that I can tell you much else based on images without extreme magnification.

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you Arcadian. I agree with your observations. The reason I'm quite sure those are real emeralds, I got this ring from Chow Tai Fook, and with their reputation in Hong Kong I doubt they would be trying to sell syntethics for the price of genuine stones.
However, I'm quite green about stones in general, so I was wondering if their prices represent top quality stones or some lower grades and the rest is design/margin.
I bought rings (tanzanite, prehnite, tourmaline) there on birthday/anniversary occasions (the emerald one is combined birthday and 4 year anniversary gift) and although I love them each time, I wish I knew more about them.
This site helps a lot. I like your advice "trust but verify", I will look into possibilities to have it tested.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think the ring is very pretty. I would send the ring to a reputable lab, but I always do that for purchases over $1K.

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
I was a bit hesitant about sending to the lab, since I have never done that before amd somehow assumed would need to send to US, but now I found that there is GIA branch in Hong Kong, would that be a good place to send it to? And since this is a 4 stone ring, do I better get a report for all the stones (4 x the cost) or 1 would be enough?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I am not an expert, but I have seen a lot of emeralds in gem shows and jewelry stores. I agree with the above posts. The emeralds almost look too good to be true as they are super clear and almost all emeralds have some type of inclusions. Second, the dealer told you they are natural. Almost all emeralds are oiled, and some are even filled with resin or other synthetics.

If you are happy with the ring, then keep it. But if you paid a lot for it, I would definitely ask the dealer more information about the stone and the return policy.

Where is it from? Colombia? Zambia? Brazil?
Has it been treated? He says no, but how does he know that? Saying an emerald is natural is bold statement. Is it AGL certified?
As for treatment, I would not worry about lightly oiled, but if it was filled with a synthetic to make it clearer, I would not be happy if I paid "natural emerald" pricing for a filled emerald.

In my search for emeralds, some dealers used the word "natural" when they compare it to "synthetic", so while he may be saying it's a natural "real" emerald, the trade uses the word "natural" to mean no oil, no dye (to make it greener), no resin, nothing. Is this what the dealer meant?

Again, I am not expert, but as a buyer, if a dealer was selling me four natural, perfectly matched emeralds... I would be a little cautious and want more documentation. If they are indeed all natural and so clear, you have some very nice stones.

I do not mean to worry you, as I am sure you have a great ring. For me, if I paid a lot for a stone, I would get more information. If this was not a super expensive purchase, then you should just enjoy the ring. The problem is to get each stone certified will cost about $200 USD, so it depends on how much you paid for the ring.

Good luck to you!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By the way, I wanted to respond to your comment about feeling self conscious as you normally wear halos. I think your ring is gorgeous and has a lot of bling factor. I love emeralds as they have that glow and just light up. To me, no other stone catches my eye more than an emerald.

So don't be self conscious, it is a beautiful setting, very classic and elegant!

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words! I'm less self consious now, kept wearing it this week and managed to forget it's there on my finger.

I do not have any certificate, the jeweler said they only provide them for larger diamonds and if I want one I need to get it myself. I only have a receipt where the weight, kind and number of stones are described (in Chinese). At that time I ignored it, but after reading this PS thread and each person urges me to get one, I will definitely send it. I was looking at GIA because they have a local branch and I can even deliver/pick it up it in person. But then you mention AGL, and I compared sample reports online, they do provide more information on enhancement and I think also better grading for clarity. But AGL is much more expensive and I would need to either send it by post or wait for them to do onsite testing during Hong Kong International Jewelry Show next year. I'm thinking to go to GIA this week and put my mind at ease as to the stone being "natural" and then if I still want to find out more, take it to the show next year.

It was expensive, very expensive to me, but then I'm not really sure what expensive for good quality emerald means. I paid about 4k USD equivalent for the whole ring (18k gold with 6 accent diamonds), and the store is known here for good value/quality ratio, meaning they don't charge much for branding, design, etc. So if they were synthetic I would take action. Otherwise I want to keep it for sentimental value.

As for them being "natural", I do not speak Chinese, jeweler didn't speak English well (me too for that matter), so I just kept asking "is it real emerald, is the color natural, was anything injected", I do not remember details, but along those lines, could not use technical vocabulary, just descriptions using simple words. The jeweler was a seller, not an owner, it' a huge chain of stores, they have over 20 branches on the main street plus much more all over Hong Kong. I'm sure I'm too naive too just trust them with a purchase like that, I thought they wouldn't risk their reputation selling synthetics. But I do still have doubts to them being not treated as that was discussed in quite vague terms due to the language barrier. I wouldn't mind some kind of treatments (although hope for minor ones), but I would be upset if they turn out glass or lab grown (I don't mind either if sold at the right price point).

So I understand my first step is to verify and only then worry if those black areas mean windowing/extinctions, how.to see the inclusions, etc.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Me again... you mentioned you purchased this at Chow Tai Fook, and I said to myself... why do I recognize this name? Where have I read about them?

Then I remembered and even googled to be sure..they are a very very reputable dealer in HK. I recognize the name because they are now the owners of Hearts On Fire (a brand that I love), but also last year, they purchased the humongous 59ct Pink Star diamond at auction (I wonder if they are displaying that diamond at one of their HK stores, like the Tiffany diamond). They also sell high jewellery/one of a kind pieces.

So I would bet to say you have genuine emeralds. At the range of $4k per carat, that price is also for fine emeralds.

My opinion has changed... I do think you have genuine emeralds. They are very reputable.

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi Miki Moto. I do not know if they display Pink Star in any of their stores, I will ask next time I'm nearby. And the information you gave me about pricing is very helpful. Thank you for your help!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By the way, call before you go to GIA. I recall AGL will not certify origin of stones less than 0.5ct each (they only verify the type of stone) and you said your door stones totaled 1ct (or 0.25ct each). Just check first what they will do to avoid wasting a trip.

Good luck to you! Buying jewelry is always so exciting!

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tip Miki Moto!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The emeralds are a beautiful colour - Chow Tia Fook is a large diamond and jewellery vendor that as far as I'm aware doesn't sell synthetic stones unless they tell you so. The stones might have a minor or medium level of oiling as is typical of emeralds, but the inclusions I can see in them in your pics also suggest they are real not synthetic. The only true way to know the level of treatment would be to take them to a reliable lab or appraiser.

I'm not sure if you could contact where you purchase the ring and ask the level of treatment if any in the emeralds and the origin, they would have been the first two questions I would have asked.

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Good idea to go back to the store, thanks. I have checked the receipt and asked a friend to translate, it says round natural emeralds 4 pieces, round natural diamonds 6 pieces. Before purchase, I asked about treatment, but forgot to ask about origin. He said, no dyeing, but was not very clear about oiling. I also asked if he could see inclusions, he said there are some, but I'm so inexperienced I couldn't find them even with loupe. I will find out if they have more information in their system in the store. SmartSelectImage_2018-03-25-20-08-45.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately a "natural" emerald can mean anything, in general most of them are oiled. Some of them are filled with other things like Opticon and some are filled with coloured oil which is the dye he was referring too. But you can get lucky with smaller ones because it's easier IMHO to find ones without oil in smaller sizes that are untreated.

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WOW! Your ring is GORGEOUS! That is most definitely worth $4k, and to someone who has looked at a ton of emeralds, they look absolutely real to me. They are clean for emeralds and a beautiful color, but synthetics are pretty obvious, IMO. At least all the ones I've seen. And it's true that most emeralds are oiled to some degree, as are most all emeralds. Enjoy your ring!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beyond stunning. Those emeralds are breathtaking, so beautifully perfect :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Let us know what GIA says!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love it! The proportions between the shapes, the size, the spacing, the color! All work together so well. Truly fresh and just stunning.

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you all very much! I finally got used to wearing it. I think I will keep it for holidays and then send to GIA, I will post results once I have them.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a lovely, simple and classy emerald ring and yes, Chow Tai Fook over this side of the Asian world is an old, established brand. When my relatives get married, the si dian jin (4 pieces of gold) are usually bought at Chow Tai Fook.

I never realised there are 2 Chinese names for emerald, until I read the tag you posted. 祖母绿, 绿宝石. The former translates literally as grandmother green. The 2nd is green precious stone :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring. I also thought, too good to be true. But it sounds like the dealer is reputable. It is up to you to do further digging. For not knowing much about gemstones you did well!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stunner!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all very much! I finally got used to wearing it. I think I will keep it for holidays and then send to GIA, I will post results once I have them.

Beautiful ring.:love: Love the color and love the proportions. So happy you are enjoying it and congratulations! Would love to see more pics if you felt like sharing more.:appl:

Allgems

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks again!

I will still get it tested, I'm quite interested to find out origin of the stones. And thank you for the confirmation that it's a good place to buy jewelry.

I did take some more photos last night, as I noticed that in a restaurant light it looked very similar to when I saw it for the first time in a jewelry store. The color was a bit deeper, and those black areas not that visible. But still, had difficulties to capture the color I saw (tried several ways) and my hand was shaky, I never took pictures of a ring before.

Also, in the first photo, the bottom stone has 2 white lines inside visible, is it the a photo issue or inclusions?

20180326_190730.jpg 20180326_191458_006_01.jpg 20180326_191645.jpg 20180326_191932.jpg

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know how long you plan to wait before taking it to GIA. But I am sure waiting to knowing if it's a true natural emerald and the origin is killing you! (it would be killing me!)

In the meantime, you may want to purchase a loupe and look at each stone. You will be able to see all the inclusions. Every emerald will have some inclusions. It is very rare for an emerald to be clear like a diamond, so don't be alarmed if you do see inclusions. They are acceptable. On the contrary, I would be alarmed if all four of the emeralds were perfectly clear and look exactly the same which I am sure they are not.

Since you have purchased other stones, I would highiy recommend purchasing a 10x loupe if not only for fun to stare at your stones.

Enjoy your ring... it's beautiful! I love the glow and it looks great on you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh the new pics are lovely. Beautiful!

Diiiiis

Rough_Rock
those emerald looks a bit too clean to me. Also saturation and hue are a little off too (maybe because of the light when picture were taken)

Diiiiis

Rough_Rock
Btw, chow tai fook (周大福) is a very famous Chinese brand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results