shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this diamond?

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm new to Pricescope and looking for opinions on a diamond I'm thinking of purchasing. The specs are as follows:

Lab: GIA
Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 9.48 - 9.57 x 5.99 mm
Carats: 3.4
Color: J
Clarity: VS
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue

A photo of the proportions is below. Is this a good diamond? I previously had an AGS000 and am a little nervous about the GIA XXX rating since I know it can be less stringent. Thank you for any and all insight!!!

upload_2019-9-10_17-15-25.png

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
The angles are complementary, but it’ a bit over the recommended depth percentage. If you can tell us your budget, color and clarity preferences people will be happy to make some recommendations. Are you wanting SBF?

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, mwilliamanderson. My budget is approximately $36k. In terms of color/clarity, I don't want to go below a J/VS2. My last diamond was an SI1 and I found my eyes going straight to the inclusion as time passed. This VS2 has one crystal inclusion under the table which I was able to see with a microscope, but not with the naked eye. Its other inclusion is next to the girdle and is invisible to me both with and without a microscope.

The fluorescence is not preferable to me, but I examined the diamond in person in both artificial and natural light and didn't find it to be particularly bothersome (I was concerned about the milky/oily effect some people describe with strong fluorescence.) Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input, mwilliamanderson. My budget is approximately $36k. In terms of color/clarity, I don't want to go below a J/VS2. My last diamond was an SI1 and I found my eyes going straight to the inclusion as time passed. This VS2 has one crystal inclusion under the table which I was able to see with a microscope, but not with the naked eye. Its other inclusion is next to the girdle and is invisible to me both with and without a microscope.

The fluorescence is not preferable to me, but I examined the diamond in person in both artificial and natural light and didn't find it to be particularly bothersome (I was concerned about the milky/oily effect some people describe with strong fluorescence.) Thank you!
I agree, it's overly deep. Let's see if we can find you something better :)

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
First of all, welcome to PS! I had the same personal dilemma of going from an AGS000 to a GIAXXX (albeit much smaller ct) with similar specs per the pic. Both of mine exhibited fluorescence, which I desired.

Most of the specs are within PS-recommended ranges. My potential concern though is the 62.8% depth.

Also, as you’re probably aware, AGS grades light performance whereas GIA doesn’t (besides GIA rounding). So, I’d highly recommend requesting an ideal scope at a minimum, although an ASET would be ideal to review for potential light leakage. Otherwise, photos of the diamond may provide some insight (though a bit more speculation). Others here will also recommend running through the HCA as a rejection tool. HCA can also tell you how “big” your diamond will face up relative to others with same ct weight. And an H&A scope can help identify minor issues with optical symmetry, but these get a bit more technical and not everyone is looking for perfection (personal preference). Most importantly you’ll need to see the stone IRL under different lighting (not just jewelry store lights that make even the worst specimen look great). In the end, the diamond has to speak to you.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What size is your current diamond? Is the only reason you are changing because of the inclusion you see in your SI1?

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
If you’re open to suggestions, are you upgrading with a particular vendor (and locked to them) or can the search be expanded?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does depth affect the sparkle, how large it faces up, or both?
How large it faces up. It also means you'll be paying for size you can't see, which feels useless.

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock
What size is your current diamond? Is the only reason you are changing because of the inclusion you see in your SI1?
My last diamond was 2.66 carats. Due to multiple issues with the setting over the two years we’ve had it, we decided to return the entire ring to our jeweler. Our jeweler is now allowing us to pick out an entirely new stone and setting for an equivalent price. I had quite an expensive setting before, so I’m able to increase the price of the center stone and go with a simple six-prong platinum setting.

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock
If you’re open to suggestions, are you upgrading with a particular vendor (and locked to them) or can the search be expanded?
I’m locked to my jeweler since we have a return-and-exchange agreement with them. We returned my original ring due to some serious issues with the integrity of the setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful!! To make sure I understand, does that mean I am getting an extra .1 mm in the face-up presentation for the same carat weight?
Not exactly. It means that the stone your jeweler is trying to sell you doesn't actually "look" it's weight. It looks smaller (like a 3.3 rather than a 3.4) because it's cut too deep. The one I linked looks it's size. The one you posted does not,so you will be paying for size you cannot see.

But if you are attached to your current jeweler then unfortunately the one I linked isn't an option.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m locked to my jeweler since we have a return-and-exchange agreement with them. We returned my original ring due to some serious issues with the integrity of the setting.
Do you really want to buy something so expensive from a jeweler who was unable to excecute a setting correctly? That seems risky.

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock
Do you really want to buy something so expensive from a jeweler who was unable to excecute a setting correctly? That seems risky.
Unfortunately I don’t really have another option. The good news is the jeweler does stand behind their sales and has given us a lifetime warranty and full-value upgrade agreement on anything we get there, so if I want to upgrade in the future I will have full credit from whichever stone I choose.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I don’t really have another option. The good news is the jeweler does stand behind their sales and has given us a lifetime warranty and full-value upgrade agreement on anything we get there, so if I want to upgrade in the future I will have full credit from whichever stone I choose.
Gotcha. I'd get that in writing if I were you! Ask the jeweler to stick within the following parameters:
Table 54-57
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown: 34-35 (sometimes 35.5 can work with 40.6 pavillion)
Pavillion: 40.6-40.9 (40.9 is best with 34 crown)

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock
Gotcha. I'd get that in writing if I were you! Ask the jeweler to stick within the following parameters:
Table 54-57
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown: 34-35 (sometimes 35.5 can work with 40.6 pavillion)
Pavillion: 40.6-40.9 (40.9 is best with 34 crown)
Thank you! This is so helpful! I knew PriceScope was the right place to go for advice:)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, I'm new to Pricescope and looking for opinions on a diamond I'm thinking of purchasing. The specs are as follows:

Lab: GIA
Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 9.48 - 9.57 x 5.99 mm
Carats: 3.4
Color: J
Clarity: VS
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Should be closer to 9.68mm for a well cut stone.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
My last diamond was 2.66 carats. Due to multiple issues with the setting over the two years we’ve had it, we decided to return the entire ring to our jeweler. Our jeweler is now allowing us to pick out an entirely new stone and setting for an equivalent price. I had quite an expensive setting before, so I’m able to increase the price of the center stone and go with a simple six-prong platinum setting.
That’s really fortunate that you are able to do this!

LauraJandLudlow

Rough_Rock
That’s really fortunate that you are able to do this!
It is fortunate! The situation with the original ring was pretty upsetting, but we are lucky that the jeweler is committed to fixing it and is allowing us to switch out both the setting and the stone.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m in a predicament over my diamond and am not sure what to do and how to approach it, but you are inspiring me to try :)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you SO much. Your kindness brings tears to my eyes!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results