shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this diamond?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by LauraJandLudlow, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:15 PM.

1. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    Hi everyone, I'm new to Pricescope and looking for opinions on a diamond I'm thinking of purchasing. The specs are as follows:

Lab: GIA
    Shape: Round Brilliant
    Measurements: 9.48 - 9.57 x 5.99 mm
    Carats: 3.4
    Color: J
    Clarity: VS
    Cut: Excellent
    Polish: Excellent
    Symmetry: Excellent
    Fluorescence: Strong Blue

A photo of the proportions is below. Is this a good diamond? I previously had an AGS000 and am a little nervous about the GIA XXX rating since I know it can be less stringent. Thank you for any and all insight!!!

upload_2019-9-10_17-15-25.png

2. mwilliamanderson
    Shiny_Rock

by mwilliamanderson » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    The angles are complementary, but it’ a bit over the recommended depth percentage. If you can tell us your budget, color and clarity preferences people will be happy to make some recommendations. Are you wanting SBF?

3. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    Thanks for the input, mwilliamanderson. My budget is approximately $36k. In terms of color/clarity, I don't want to go below a J/VS2. My last diamond was an SI1 and I found my eyes going straight to the inclusion as time passed. This VS2 has one crystal inclusion under the table which I was able to see with a microscope, but not with the naked eye. Its other inclusion is next to the girdle and is invisible to me both with and without a microscope.

The fluorescence is not preferable to me, but I examined the diamond in person in both artificial and natural light and didn't find it to be particularly bothersome (I was concerned about the milky/oily effect some people describe with strong fluorescence.) Thank you!

4. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    I agree, it's overly deep. Let's see if we can find you something better :)

5. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Does depth affect the sparkle, how large it faces up, or both?

6. Athena10X
    Shiny_Rock

by Athena10X » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM
    First of all, welcome to PS! I had the same personal dilemma of going from an AGS000 to a GIAXXX (albeit much smaller ct) with similar specs per the pic. Both of mine exhibited fluorescence, which I desired.

Most of the specs are within PS-recommended ranges. My potential concern though is the 62.8% depth.

Also, as you’re probably aware, AGS grades light performance whereas GIA doesn’t (besides GIA rounding). So, I’d highly recommend requesting an ideal scope at a minimum, although an ASET would be ideal to review for potential light leakage. Otherwise, photos of the diamond may provide some insight (though a bit more speculation). Others here will also recommend running through the HCA as a rejection tool. HCA can also tell you how “big” your diamond will face up relative to others with same ct weight. And an H&A scope can help identify minor issues with optical symmetry, but these get a bit more technical and not everyone is looking for perfection (personal preference). Most importantly you’ll need to see the stone IRL under different lighting (not just jewelry store lights that make even the worst specimen look great). In the end, the diamond has to speak to you.

LauraJandLudlow likes this.
  7. headlight
    Brilliant_Rock

by headlight » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    What size is your current diamond? Is the only reason you are changing because of the inclusion you see in your SI1?

8. Athena10X
    Shiny_Rock

by Athena10X » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:56 PM
    If you’re open to suggestions, are you upgrading with a particular vendor (and locked to them) or can the search be expanded?

9. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Sep 10, 2019 at 5:56 PM
    How large it faces up. It also means you'll be paying for size you can't see, which feels useless.

10. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

11. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    My last diamond was 2.66 carats. Due to multiple issues with the setting over the two years we’ve had it, we decided to return the entire ring to our jeweler. Our jeweler is now allowing us to pick out an entirely new stone and setting for an equivalent price. I had quite an expensive setting before, so I’m able to increase the price of the center stone and go with a simple six-prong platinum setting.

12. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    That is beautiful!! To make sure I understand, does that mean I am getting an extra .1 mm in the face-up presentation for the same carat weight?

13. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    I’m locked to my jeweler since we have a return-and-exchange agreement with them. We returned my original ring due to some serious issues with the integrity of the setting.

14. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:28 PM
    Not exactly. It means that the stone your jeweler is trying to sell you doesn't actually "look" it's weight. It looks smaller (like a 3.3 rather than a 3.4) because it's cut too deep. The one I linked looks it's size. The one you posted does not,so you will be paying for size you cannot see.

But if you are attached to your current jeweler then unfortunately the one I linked isn't an option.

15. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    Do you really want to buy something so expensive from a jeweler who was unable to excecute a setting correctly? That seems risky.

16. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    Unfortunately I don’t really have another option. The good news is the jeweler does stand behind their sales and has given us a lifetime warranty and full-value upgrade agreement on anything we get there, so if I want to upgrade in the future I will have full credit from whichever stone I choose.

17. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:49 PM
    Gotcha. I'd get that in writing if I were you! Ask the jeweler to stick within the following parameters:
    Table 54-57
    Depth: 60-62.4
    Crown: 34-35 (sometimes 35.5 can work with 40.6 pavillion)
    Pavillion: 40.6-40.9 (40.9 is best with 34 crown)

18. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 10, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    Thank you! This is so helpful! I knew PriceScope was the right place to go for advice:)

lovedogs likes this.
  19. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » Sep 10, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    Should be closer to 9.68mm for a well cut stone.

LauraJandLudlow and lovedogs like this.
  20. headlight
    Brilliant_Rock

by headlight » Sep 11, 2019 at 2:58 AM
    That’s really fortunate that you are able to do this!

21. LauraJandLudlow
    Rough_Rock

by LauraJandLudlow » Sep 11, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    It is fortunate! The situation with the original ring was pretty upsetting, but we are lucky that the jeweler is committed to fixing it and is allowing us to switch out both the setting and the stone.

22. headlight
    Brilliant_Rock

by headlight » Sep 11, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    I’m in a predicament over my diamond and am not sure what to do and how to approach it, but you are inspiring me to try :)

23. mwilliamanderson
    Shiny_Rock

by mwilliamanderson » Sep 11, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    We’re all rooting for you Headlight =)2

24. headlight
    Brilliant_Rock

by headlight » Sep 11, 2019 at 10:13 AM
    Thank you SO much. Your kindness brings tears to my eyes!

mwilliamanderson likes this.
  25. mwilliamanderson
    Shiny_Rock

by mwilliamanderson » Sep 11, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    Lovely, then you received my comment with the intention it was given with.

26. headlight
    Brilliant_Rock

by headlight » Sep 11, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    Absolutely :)