shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this 2.42ct Rd - or sim if poss

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schrum

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Anyone have an opinion on this Round ?

WEIGHT: 2.42 Crts
Measurements: 8.79-8.75-5.19
Total Depth: 59.20%
Table Width: 60.00%
Crown Height: 12.00%
Pavilion Depth: 43.00%
Girdle Thickness: SLIGHTLY THICK FACETED
Polish: VERY GOOD
Symmetry: VERY GOOD
Culet: NONE
CLARITY GRADE: SI1
COLOR GRADE:** G
Fluorescence: SLIGHT
EGL

I am thinking this is a 1.9 HCA and reasonably priced for a large rock ... ca31 and pa40.7 (I think).

Thinking of buying shortly.
Thanks.
Michael
read.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
How much per carat is the dealer charging you ?

I sure think this is a great stone. Are you going to set it in platium or gold ? Because it may easily look yellow with platium.

schrum

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Thanks for the reply - the price is $12.5k total.

I was going to set it in Plat, but thought that with a G with some flour I should be safe, even for an EGL - this is a difficult area for me, because so many people have different opinions on what they think is 'yellowish' or not....

Thanks.
Michael
read.gif
confused.gif

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Isn't the stone a G?

It shouldn't look yellow in a platinum or white gold setting, unless the grading is way way off.

A friend has an H diamond in a white gold setting, and it faces up pretty white to me.

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Hi Michael

Just saw your post, we must have been typing at the same time!

I think you'll be fine with a G. Have you seen the stone or requested magnified pics of the stone? Make sure it's eye-clean.
1.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Oh I personally think it's a good price !

I know this issue about "yellowish" - some say if you get the classic Tiffany 6 point setting (I refer to the latest setting), it's less obvious to see the yellow when view from the sides.

Anyway, make your decision from the viewpoint of the owner, will the person who is going to get this diamond mind the color ?

For example, color is more important to me, at least, than hearts and arrows and all the stuff about H&A. I realise the thing about diamond is, UNLESS you sit down and match with other stones with exact color and size, and under daylight, nearly all cutting with International Fine Trade Cut or above look the same to my naked eye......
love.gif

schrum

Rough_Rock
All,

Thanks for the replies sofar - I have asked some follow up questions before I decide to buy this.

Thank you for your comments about the G - I am getting very worried about these things, now that I actually have to put cash on the table....

If it had not been for this forum I would have bought something really really bad ! Thank you all ...

Michael

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Be VERY careful of EGL grading... Is this stone eye-clean??

Also, can you provide me the cert #??

schrum

Rough_Rock
Hello again,

This is the EGL cert#9302220

Thanks.
Michael

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Yupiland made a good point about the choice of setting. You might want to pay more attention to the color if you choose a ring setting which exposes the pavillion area of the stone, e.g. D'Vatche's Royal Crown setting. But seriously, IF it's a true G, you should be fine in ANY setting!
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Strange number... Sounds old... Is it?? Are there any letters other than numbers ??Can you describe me the report... Is it blue, white, laminated?? I'm asking you this because some EGLs are better than others and vice versa. With the cert # I can tell you which EGL issued the report...

schrum

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

I attach the info from the cert - it is from 'diamondcutters.com' - maybe this will help.

Thanks again - look forward to some more insights ...
Michael

Laboratory Report
Certificate No : 9302220

WEIGHT: 2.42 Crts

Shape and Cut: ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements: 8.79-8.75-5.19

PROPORTIONS
Total Depth: 59.20%
Table Width: 60.00%
Crown Height: 12.00%
Pavilion Depth: 43.00%
Girdle Thickness: SLIGHTLY THICK FACETED

FINISH
Polish: VERY GOOD
Symmetry: VERY GOOD
Culet: NONE

CLARITY GRADE: SI1

COLOR GRADE:** G

Fluorescence: SLIGHT

Date: Sep 05 2002
read.gif
read.gif

9302220.jpg

schrum

Rough_Rock
Hi again - this looks like EGL New York, if anyone knows anything about this ?

Thanks.
Michael
read.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO WAY will a true G face up yellow in platinum, I know because I have one and it faces up pure snowy white. We just saw a J superbcert in the pic section of Pscope and it looks darn white to me too! Some people can tell minimal differences between E/F/G etc but it isn't until you at least get a I that you have more people noticing color than less. I can almost guarantee that 90% of the general public will not notice any color in even an H or I. Depends on the cut of the stone also. But if this is a true graded G then you are much more than fine.

If the cert is a US EGL then you shoudl be fine, as they are much more strict than the Europe or Antwerp divisons, etc.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
A G color is NEAR COLORLESS - don't worry about it being yellow at ALL! I had an "I" color stone for awhile set in white gold and it was so well cut that it sparkled very white! Now I have a "H" color stone (unset yet) and it's very white too! Do not worry about it being in platinum - it will look AWESOME! That is my plan
2.gif

10.gif

~ Dancin Girl

schrum

Rough_Rock
All,

Thank you very much for setting the colour thing straight (and the tips on the lab) - I obviously do not want the girlfriend (wife to be) to have a less than sparkly face when she opens the box...

Any opinions on the cut/value out there ?

Thanks again.
Michael
read.gif
read.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's EGL Antwerp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Be EXTREMELY careful... Usually they're 3 grades off on color and at least 2 on clarity!!!!! Also, they do not plot all the inclusions... Sometimes the grade-setter characteristic isn't even plotted!!
eek.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,

Out of curiousity, I checked out the site and found the one (I think) that you are considering. I am very amazed at the price, especially as compared to smaller lower grade stones on their site. Which immediately made me suspicious. If you do decide on this rock, just make sure that it can be returned if you are not happy with the appraisal. If it does check out okay, then you will have gotten a very good deal indeed!

Just my 2 cents, as one who searched for 2 years, and checked out a lot of dogs that looked okay on paper at jewelry stores.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just curious,..... But did you use %'s for the crown and pavilion in the HCA to get the 1.9, or do you have a Sarin on this diamond. I made that mistake with my first query on the PS forum and was told to use actual angle degrees. The HCA score came out much higher using degrees instead of %'s. Try and get the Sarin from the dealer and redo the HCA if the 1.9 was figured using %'s.

EGL has a rep for being much looser than AGS and GIA. And, EGL USA (preferably LA) is supposed to be much better the other branches. You could get lucky and have an accurate grade, but it's a bit risky for such a large purchase. Please do check the preview/return policy carefully prior to purchase.

You might want to try a PS search on the home page, right hand side. I just tried 1.9 to 2.05, G & H colors, VS2 to SI1, AGS and GIA only. There were several listings with a variety PS vendors (White Flash, USA Certed, Trade Shop, Affordable Diamonds, etc.) in the 2 carat range for about the same price you stated. Several will ship direct to Rock Doc (Dave Atlas) for verification without you having to pay in advance.

PS Just noticed you were looking 2.4 ct. Sorry about that!

Good Luck in your search!

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results