shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Sapphire ring options please...

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
I've been browsing online and these are my favorites so far. Do any of these sapphires stand out to you? The last one is a custom setting/stone that I picked myself. They claim it is a very nice sapphire but who knows! I am mainly wanting a really really nice sapphire that is vivid and the typical sapphire navy blue color.

I also saw this new design at Tiffany. If anyone has Tiffany sapphire items, please let me know how they rank with others.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
The Natural Sapphire Co isn’t highly recommended by most PSers because the prices are on the high side and its hard to judge from their photos what it will look like in real life.
Sapphires are a dense gem so a 1 carat sapphire is about the same size as a .75 carat diamond. Depending on your finger size, 1 carat mightn’t give you the coverage you like.
Tiffany rings are beautiful but you pay a big premium for the name. Their website doesn’t mention whether or not the sapphires are heated (or not).

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I recently went into a Tiffany store to look at their sapphire rings. I didn't see that style, but the ones I saw, in their Soleste line, looked like beautiful stones. The prices were very high, and I'm sure you can find similar quality for much less, but if you can afford Tiffany's and don't like hunting for gemstones and dealing with jewelers, you might prefer that option.

According to the Tiffany literature linked to below, they "accept" heat treatment for their sapphires, so you can assume they're heated unless told otherwise. I did try on one of their larger sapphires, which the salesman had to go fetch for me from the vault. It came with a report describing its origin and stating that it was untreated. But the smaller ones probably are treated.

If you look at the pinned thread in this forum, you'll find colored-stone vendors who members have had good experiences with.

I recently bought a gorgeous (heated) blue sapphire from an Instagram seller based in Sri Lanka. The process was a bit harrowing--I had to trust that I would love the stone, since it would have been VERY hard to return it, and covid delayed shipping for weeks. Depending on how I decide to set the sapphire, the result could be a Tiffany lookalike for a fraction of the price, but the process of buying from distant sellers from Instagram photos is not for the faint of heart.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I looked at a few vendors on the list, but didn't have much luck so far. I did look at gem fix.com. They have some very nice looking sapphires but I guess you have to take it somewhere else to have it set. I am new to the whole picking a stone first idea haha.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@happilymarried, have you tried looking at some of the pre-loved vendors? Several lovely sapphire rings have come up recently.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
I think I would prefer it to be new, just since it is our 20th wedding anniversary and not sure how she would feel about that. Thanks though!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would prefer it to be new, just since it is our 20th wedding anniversary and not sure how she would feel about that. Thanks though!
Completely understood - I’m sure some of the more plugged in sapphire people can help you find a ring that will fit the bill.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Happy anniversary!
Diamonds by Lauren is well thought of by PSers (tho I have no personal experience with them myself) and seems to have some nice-looking options:

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the replies. Diamonds by Lauren does have some nice looking rings.

I had reached out to whiteflash in the meantime, and I have a new thread with 2 sapphires they sent me info on.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Gemfix may be your best bet with the variety of sapphires they have. Gary at Finewater Gems has some good options too and he's good about sending more videos if you need to get a better idea. I recently purchased a sapphire from Tandi (desert_rose on IG) and love it - she has a good eye and her prices are competitive but note that she does store credits rather than refunds.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently went into a Tiffany store to look at their sapphire rings. I didn't see that style, but the ones I saw, in their Soleste line, looked like beautiful stones. The prices were very high, and I'm sure you can find similar quality for much less, but if you can afford Tiffany's and don't like hunting for gemstones and dealing with jewelers, you might prefer that option.

According to the Tiffany literature linked to below, they "accept" heat treatment for their sapphires, so you can assume they're heated unless told otherwise. I did try on one of their larger sapphires, which the salesman had to go fetch for me from the vault. It came with a report describing its origin and stating that it was untreated. But the smaller ones probably are treated.

If you look at the pinned thread in this forum, you'll find colored-stone vendors who members have had good experiences with.

I recently bought a gorgeous (heated) blue sapphire from an Instagram seller based in Sri Lanka. The process was a bit harrowing--I had to trust that I would love the stone, since it would have been VERY hard to return it, and covid delayed shipping for weeks. Depending on how I decide to set the sapphire, the result could be a Tiffany lookalike for a fraction of the price, but the process of buying from distant sellers from Instagram photos is not for the faint of heart.

Just pointing out that Tiffany accepts heating AND diffusion treatments (that most PSers don't accept except in costume jewelry). That's what they mean by "Infused with colorless substances to improve color and clarity."

Thanks for the replies. I looked at a few vendors on the list, but didn't have much luck so far. I did look at gem fix.com. They have some very nice looking sapphires but I guess you have to take it somewhere else to have it set. I am new to the whole picking a stone first idea haha.

Picking a gem first and having it set elsewhere IS more complex, it's true, but you'll likely end up with a much higher quality piece for less than you would if you bought it ready-made. If ease of transaction is what you value most though and you're willing to pay for it, then you can get it all in one place.

This one by DBL looks nice: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/224ct-blue-oval-sapphire-ring-r9606

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I was in Tiffany's again today looking at their sapphire rings (for inspiration for setting mine, though it didn't help much, since their sapphire ring settings are pretty generic). The saleswoman told me all the sapphires under 4 carats (and maybe even higher) are heated. She said the larger sapphires sometimes come with "prestige reports" detailing their origin and (lack of) treatments.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results