shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on new diamond please!!!!

Heatherb18

Rough_Rock
E82BC55A-3991-4439-8C60-BCC3E26E0028.jpeg
I just recently purchased a solitaire of off blue Nile- and hate to say that when it arrived I was really disappointed. It performs beautifully, but I really expected a bit more finger coverage. Before going ahead with an exchange, I wanted to see what you all had to say about this stone. I have suspicions that it may be to deep? Here are the specs...

6.12 x 6.16 x 3.83 with a depth of 62.4%
E triple ex .90 carats

What do you think? Should I try for a stone that faces up larger?

Heatherb18

Rough_Rock
Generated breakdown of your diamond, based upon the dimensions.

https://www.diamdb.com/diamond/0.9ct-round-6.12x6.16x3.83/

Perhaps, stretching your budget for a larger spread will solve your DSS? Or...maybe a different setting? Halo? 3 stone?
Thank you! That is useful. I am pretty set on a soltaire, and don’t think I’d be willing to put too much more into it. I just feel like going crazy! I have had a 1 carat in the past, and I remember the finger coverage being more substantial! Thinking about exchanging for a stone with less depth, but not sure if the hassle will be worth it or if the difference would even be noticeable. At least it is a nice stone, even if it isn’t quite what I pictured.:confused:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
E82BC55A-3991-4439-8C60-BCC3E26E0028.jpeg
I just recently purchased a solitaire of off blue Nile- and hate to say that when it arrived I was really disappointed. It performs beautifully, but I really expected a bit more finger coverage. Before going ahead with an exchange, I wanted to see what you all had to say about this stone. I have suspicions that it may be to deep? Here are the specs...

6.12 x 6.16 x 3.83 with a depth of 62.4%
E triple ex .90 carats

What do you think? Should I try for a stone that faces up larger?

I absolutely adore solitaires ... but I think you would have to go quite a bit bigger, like closer to two carats. It could also just be the picture and/or that I am just crazy, but that is my thought when I look at your picture.

I think the spread for your 0.9 is just fine, as indicated on the diamb.

I really do get the love for a solitaire, but imo, a halo of some kind would look gorgeous on you.
Some can be quite subtle, like an illusion setting (not really a halo?) and add the extra mm you need while keeping the classic solitaire look and without you spending a lot more money. I would also suggest a wider band for your finger, but tapered toward the diamond to make it look bigger. I’m thinking something like this:

FBA4F6F5-30BE-4882-B498-EFBCFA39C8CE.jpeg

ETA ... you would not be the first person (me included) to dream of a certain setting only to find that it doesn’t look quite right on your finger. I remember shopping for a ring like yours once and ended up with a wide yellow gold band with kind of a sculpted twist that ended up looking great on my hand. Have you tried other settings on your hand? I think hands and rings have their own personalities and some work together much better than others.

:wavey:

Last edited:

Heatherb18

Rough_Rock
I absolutely adore solitaires ... but I think you would have to go quite a bit bigger, like closer to two carats. It could also just be the picture and/or that I am just crazy, but that is my thought when I look at your picture.

I think the spread for your 0.9 is just fine, as indicated on the diamb.

I really do get the love for a solitaire, but imo, a halo of some kind would look gorgeous on you.
Some can be quite subtle, like an illusion setting (not really a halo?) and add the extra mm you need while keeping the classic solitaire look and without you spending a lot more money. I would also suggest a wider band for your finger, but tapered toward the diamond to make it look bigger. I’m thinking something like this:

FBA4F6F5-30BE-4882-B498-EFBCFA39C8CE.jpeg

ETA ... you would not be the first person (me included) to dream of a certain setting only to find that it doesn’t look quite right on your finger. I remember shopping for a ring like yours once and ended up with a wide yellow gold band with kind of a sculpted twist that ended up looking great on my hand. Have you tried other settings on your hand? I think hands and rings have their own personalities and some work together much better than others.

:wavey:

That is excellent advice. I don’t exactly have the fingers of a piano player, lol which may be better suited for a soltaire of this size. Perhaps when we’re up in the 1.5 carat range, we’ll reconsider this style. Now the next challenge- finding a halo in the $1200 range for this stone! I do like the idea of the gold halo, but am hoping to find something with small melees around the diamond and down the shank. Nothing fancy- if I am going to go with a halo I’ll probably go simple. This is what I had before, (this new ring is an upgrade) and think that the double halo was too much and I think a straight shank as opposed to split is easier, for band matching purposes.
D7FE1044-BA09-4267-90B4-77A2547603AE.jpeg
Wish I wasn’t so darn picky! Lol. I’ll keep going until I’m happy though, we’ve put too much into this to settle!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it makes total sense that you're feeling like it's "too small" after having a double halo. Totally reasonable. I would either try a halo, or try getting an eternity band, since IMHO it adds more bling to the look of a solitaire. That's my favorite thing to pair with a solitaire, and adds an extra "something".

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
My setting is sort of how you describe ..
9ED63F9F-EE47-405B-B2C8-E2C30D643335.jpeg D166F6B5-9A12-487A-9AB1-1EDE20779A8A.jpeg
2702F389-A1FB-469D-82A3-99F698560CCF.jpeg

Attachments

• 07FC6A58-F3AC-4EF0-A93E-58FBDC88E1D9.jpeg
    07FC6A58-F3AC-4EF0-A93E-58FBDC88E1D9.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 7

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My setting is sort of how you describe ..
9ED63F9F-EE47-405B-B2C8-E2C30D643335.jpeg D166F6B5-9A12-487A-9AB1-1EDE20779A8A.jpeg
2702F389-A1FB-469D-82A3-99F698560CCF.jpeg

Your ring looks so pretty - can you please take some more pictures for us? Pretty please? And maybe start your own SMTB thread? Just haven't had good closure on your journey - lol!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring looks so pretty - can you please take some more pictures for us? Pretty please? And maybe start your own SMTB thread? Just haven't had good closure on your journey - lol!

Working on it! In the meantime ... thank you!!!

Heatherb18

Rough_Rock
1BF614B8-54B6-4F3B-951F-03D2C232ED5B.jpeg Thank you for your comments! I just wanted to post an update. My husband admitted that he actually like the halo style better, and suggested that I go back! Kicking myself for not considering the shock of going to a solitaire. I just don’t have the hands for that style! I sent my diamond back to blue Nile yesterday to be set in this setting. No I’m on the hunt to find more picture of this style irl!! ! All your suggestions were dead on- I am so much happier with this decision. Thank goodness for blue Nile’s exchange policy!!! Lesson learned!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
1BF614B8-54B6-4F3B-951F-03D2C232ED5B.jpeg Thank you for your comments! I just wanted to post an update. My husband admitted that he actually like the halo style better, and suggested that I go back! Kicking myself for not considering the shock of going to a solitaire. I just don’t have the hands for that style! I sent my diamond back to blue Nile yesterday to be set in this setting. No I’m on the hunt to find more picture of this style irl!! ! All your suggestions were dead on- I am so much happier with this decision. Thank goodness for blue Nile’s exchange policy!!! Lesson learned!

So pretty! I’m so happy for you!!! Please come back with pictures!!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results