shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on My 1.7 L Oval Stone

hannahpandah

Rough_Rock
Hey all!

I was recently engaged on the 30th! My newly minted fiancé and I were hoping for some opinions/advice on the stone (mostly him as he knows how much I value pricesope’s opinion). He’d like to know if he did a good job. He felt this one was the one in his heart and picked it on sight vs specs. He said it sparkled gorgeously in the store and outside. He knows I’m more numbers oriented so requested I posted here LOL.

I personally think my stone is beautiful. I was surprised that it was a L (we were looking at K minimum) but I honestly thought it was a J when I first saw it because I’m no expert. According to him, the color was not discernible from the K we looked at together (and liked). So no biggie! I also quite like warmer stones.

Two concerns I had were a) Is there a bow tie, and is the length by width suitable for its weight?

here are the specs:

OVAL BRILLIANT​

Measurements9.11 x 6.63 x 4.21 mm
Carat Weight1.7 carat
Color GradeL
Clarity GradeSI1

PROPORTIONS​

Depth63.5%
Table61%
GirdleMedium to Thick, Faceted
CuletNone

IMAGES.GIA.EDU

FINISH​

PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent

FLUORESCENCE​

FluorescenceFaint

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS​

Clarity CharacteristicsCrystal, Feather

I had inputted the specs into a website and it said that the face up size was more suitable for a 1.6. I think some of this is lost in the depth at 63.5%. I’m curious to know if this is normal/ adequate. I’m very happy with the size of it means that the stone is cut well. Which leads me to my next question...

What are your thoughts on the bow tie? I know nearly every fancy cut has a bowtie. In several lighting conditions, I can hardly see it and it’s faint. It’s only in direct phone flash it seems to show up badly (as in dark color & size) but reading other threads has lead me to possibly believe it’s a reflection of the phone back . In direct sunlight, it has moderate bow tie (in color). I’ve attached videos & pics in varied lightings. Regardless, it does sparkle beautifully in all lightings with or without bowtie IMO. I think he did a great job but he’d love your expert opinion :)

https://streamable.com/sc058e (Direct sunlight)
https://streamable.com/27oknp (Car lighting)
https://streamable.com/kixhoj (Grocery Store)
https://streamable.com/60h8if (Direct Lamp Light)

Please excuse the obnoxious amount of media. I really wanted to give an accurate idea of what the ring looks like in person without being able to see it. 1E1FF41B-440F-4023-BBDE-DC3CA7BFC9D8.jpeg 369BD813-2431-48F6-B8CA-5351A4F14A5D.jpeg 841D8BBB-8ABF-4DD6-9840-000E1B323716.jpeg 26BCB042-A297-4F08-884B-FA84A96EB92E.jpeg 3720061D-E11A-4896-A500-D7821D129599.jpeg C7959E74-57B2-4234-9A9F-E6025B519DDA.jpeg BBF18BF5-EB76-4A94-9F84-E3906D0AEFD3.jpeg 1B15A177-D8AF-47D9-8896-B7A59D5AF7B7.jpeg
Thank you all dearly! Your help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 259B0EC6-0377-4CC8-B068-2FB8DCAE1173.jpeg
    259B0EC6-0377-4CC8-B068-2FB8DCAE1173.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your engagement!

I see that you said it is beautiful and the color is better than expected. That is great! R u thinking of returning it if it doesn't meet a certain criteria? For me, a bow tie is a big no no, so I will go for SIC oval.

No stone is perfect, and I strongly believe that at the end of the day, how you feel about the stone is most important. Every one has different criteria.

For instance personally, I prefer a stone with highest light performance. So I prefer a SIC Oval. I am not color sensitive and can go as low as K, clarity vs2 to keep within a budget...

However, for my bro on the other hand, he is looking at min a G with the highest SIC cut and clarity. So he frowns on whatever I choose... :lol:

hannahpandah

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your engagement!

I see that you said it is beautiful and the color is better than expected. That is great! R u thinking of returning it if it doesn't meet a certain criteria? For me, a bow tie is a big no no, so I will go for SIC oval.

No stone is perfect, and I strongly believe that at the end of the day, how you feel about the stone is most important. Every one has different criteria.

For instance personally, I prefer a stone with highest light performance. So I prefer a SIC Oval. I am not color sensitive and can go as low as K, clarity vs2 to keep within a budget...

However, for my bro on the other hand, he is looking at min a G with the highest SIC cut and clarity. So he frowns on whatever I choose... :lol:

Thanks for the congrats & reassurance. I think that’s ultimately what he and I are looking for. We’re both first time diamond buyers and don’t know much. We also are not too stringent when it comes to the specs, I’m not particularly color sensitive, and I don’t mind bow ties as long as it performs nicely in most lighting. I do see both things on occasion with this stone but it doesn’t bother me much.

also, I’m a mildly neurotic person so though I do love the stone, information on these issues would help me understand it & reassure us more!

However, if the stone poses any serious issues, it is something we’d consider exchanging. While I do appreciate its beauty, we also don’t want to be throwing money on a “bad” stone. I hope that’s not the case. So as long as the stone is subjectively passable (ie. The color is decent for an L/faint color, the bow tie is mild, the dimensions are within range for its size), I’m happy. I believe this is where it falls but I wanted to double check with you guys!

I’m looking more for issues that are more objectively problematic: major or dark bow tie (Is the one on mine severe? Hopefully not & Above average?), diamond is too deep to the point it’s affecting performance/ does not look size appropriate, the stone looks a few shades darker than it’s color grade )
It’s sometimes hard to remember that there really is no perfect perfect stone. Or if there is, it’s $$$$$.

I recognize that diamonds are hugely subjective but there are a few things I think that are just objectively terrible. I wanna make sure this stone doesn’t fall in one of those categories. I don’t think it does? But I am a diamond noob haha :) I’m also curious if these are common issues with diamonds. If so, I can live with it.

also maybe some education on bow ties. I keep finding conflicting definitions. It’s generally classified as a dark dull spot but with mine, it only exists in certain lighting. And even then disappears when the angle of viewing shifts. Otherwise, it completely disappears or makes the stone look more white? sometimes? Is this classified as a bow tie? I’ve heard variable answers. There is a significant surface area in the center that is cut differently which you can see best in pics 3 & 7. It looks like the X-men logo kind of. I am concerned about that as well. Please educate me

I hope this provides more insight into my post and thoughts! Thank you so much!
I appreciate the response & help! PS. What is a SIC oval?! I tried to google to no avail

Last edited:
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is lovely!

I’m not an expert but I’ll give my opinion anyway as a layperson. The L/W ratio of your stone comes out at around 1.37ish, which is a bit squatter than I prefer (I like elongated ovals more) but that’s personal preference. The depth is a touch higher than I like, and the table a bit big, but if it sparkles beautifully it doesn’t matter. I do think the colour is even and not as yellow as I’d expect from an L. I can’t open the videos for some reason but your description makes the bow tie sound not bad at all - to my eye in the pictures it looks fine. (Almost) All ovals will have a bow tie to some degree, and as long as it’s only blacking out / there at certain angles I think it’s fine. Fancy shapes really have to be bought by eye, so if you like how it looks - it’s the right one! To me there’s nothing overly wrong or bad with the stone. Yes things could be a bit different and you might like that more but that’s something that’s so hard to tell with fancy shapes since they can differ so widely. It’s all about what flavour of diamond you like. Also the setting is gorgeous :D

If you really want to check out different ovals perhaps take a look at the distinctive gems elyque ovals which are apparently cut for light return and are supposed to be “the best performing / no bow tie” and see what you think then. Elyque are cut quite a bit deeper than your stone as well so they will face up smaller than yours does, but they won’t have a bow tie. If you can see them in person you’ll know what you’re willing to “sacrifice” to get the look that you want and if the bow tie is really that bad.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring looks beautiful. Can you still return it? If you aren't 100% in love with it I wouldn't hesistate to return it.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
The stone looks lovely and the setting is very pretty. You can't avoid a bow-tie of some sort unless you buy a stone that's been cut not to have one (like the Elyque by Distinctive Gems). Depending on what colour it's reflecting, you'll notice a bowtie more or less. If it isn't obvious to you in real life in most lighting situations then it's a keeper.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I understand your come from now. I must say that your significant other has done an excellent job! I honestly say that the color faces up very white for a L. *thumbs up*

SIC = super ideal cut... It's basically a well cut oval. Elyque by Distinctive Gems is also a sic oval that is very well cut.

Check out the link here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhino-does-it-again-elyque-oval-the-only-oval.251039/

Here is a video of the sic Hearts and diamond oval that I took when I was shopping for a fancy shaped diamond at JannPaul. It's a different cut from the traditional oval.

I am not well versed in the tradition oval cut.. All I am aware is to avoid the bow tie effect as much as possible.. And the bow tie doesn't seem to be very apparent in your photos. The more experienced PSers will be in a better position to advise. :)

Last edited:

hannahpandah

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is lovely!

I’m not an expert but I’ll give my opinion anyway as a layperson. The L/W ratio of your stone comes out at around 1.37ish, which is a bit squatter than I prefer (I like elongated ovals more) but that’s personal preference. The depth is a touch higher than I like, and the table a bit big, but if it sparkles beautifully it doesn’t matter. I do think the colour is even and not as yellow as I’d expect from an L. I can’t open the videos for some reason but your description makes the bow tie sound not bad at all - to my eye in the pictures it looks fine. (Almost) All ovals will have a bow tie to some degree, and as long as it’s only blacking out / there at certain angles I think it’s fine. Fancy shapes really have to be bought by eye, so if you like how it looks - it’s the right one! To me there’s nothing overly wrong or bad with the stone. Yes things could be a bit different and you might like that more but that’s something that’s so hard to tell with fancy shapes since they can differ so widely. It’s all about what flavour of diamond you like. Also the setting is gorgeous :D

If you really want to check out different ovals perhaps take a look at the distinctive gems elyque ovals which are apparently cut for light return and are supposed to be “the best performing / no bow tie” and see what you think then. Elyque are cut quite a bit deeper than your stone as well so they will face up smaller than yours does, but they won’t have a bow tie. If you can see them in person you’ll know what you’re willing to “sacrifice” to get the look that you want and if the bow tie is really that bad.

Thank you so much for your response! It is very reassuring. The breakdown of the specs was incredibly helpful. I was thinking the same thing. These aren't the most optimal of optimal specs but I recognize that fancy shapes are something to be bought with the eye, not necessarily always with the numbers. And then add on the layer of fancy shapes being super subjective as well...

And thank you for the kind complements on the setting! It was custom made! He did a really great job picking it out. :)

I was intrigued by the elyque ovals. But one of my concerns was maximizing visual carat versus actual carat. If it does face up smaller, then I will have to pass, rather have the bowtie! Haha. It's funny how these things are at odds with each other sometimes.

hannahpandah

Rough_Rock
Your ring looks beautiful. Can you still return it? If you aren't 100% in love with it I wouldn't hesistate to return it.

I am fortunately within the return period for the next few days. I was thinking the same, I have my doubts but this is the diamond that my fiance picked & gave to me so I have an incredibly sentimental attachment to it (already lol). I was considering only returning if there was a serious issue with the stone. I did contact the jeweler and they did offer to show me a selection of stones for reassurance. I'm debating if I should take them up on the offer or not.

hannahpandah

Rough_Rock
The stone looks lovely and the setting is very pretty. You can't avoid a bow-tie of some sort unless you buy a stone that's been cut not to have one (like the Elyque by Distinctive Gems). Depending on what colour it's reflecting, you'll notice a bowtie more or less. If it isn't obvious to you in real life in most lighting situations then it's a keeper.

Thank you for your input! It's very reassuring! The "bowtie" was what concerned me the most! Glad to know it's completely normal. :)

hannahpandah

Rough_Rock
I understand your come from now. I must say that your significant other has done an excellent job! I honestly say that the color faces up very white for a L. *thumbs up*

SIC = super ideal cut... It's basically a well cut oval. Elyque by Distinctive Gems is also a sic oval that is very well cut.

Check out the link here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhino-does-it-again-elyque-oval-the-only-oval.251039/

Here is a video of the sic Hearts and diamond oval that I took when I was shopping for a fancy shaped diamond at JannPaul. It's a different cut from the traditional oval.

I am not well versed in the tradition oval cut.. All I am aware is to avoid the bow tie effect as much as possible.. And the bow tie doesn't seem to be very apparent in your photos. The more experienced PSers will be in a better position to advise. :)

Hey Lala2020!

Thanks for your responses! They're very reassuring! That SIC is indeed GORGEOUS. Maybe for an anniversary piece? hahaha. Not a shabby bowtie looks like that's the general opinion! I'm very thankful to you all for your help! It's been incredibly helpful <3

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! I'm no expert, but I think your ring looks lovely!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
That setting is what would worry me. It's pretty but it looks extremely delicate in places. I could see it breaking and possibly causing you to lose the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surprise diamonds generally aren't a great idea, especially in a fancy cut. This won't help since you can't go back in time, but you two should have looked at a lot of ovals together before buying, and that way he would have known which one you liked best. I think if you LOVE it, you should forget this thread and enjoy your ring! If you'd feel better comparing it to other ovals while you are in the return period, you certainly should. Ovals aren't always great in low colors because sometimes the yellowish tint will be greater in one place than another in the stone. I really can't tell from the videos. I think since you are here asking for reassurance, though, you might want to look at as many ovals as you can before the return period is over. That's the only way you can be sure...using your own eyes.

I do like the shape and proportions of it a lot. I wouldn't worry about that...it's almost perfect in length/width.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
your ring is lovely and as far as "super ideal cut" ovals go, I'm not sure there are any given that description except perhaps the Elyque which would be cut deeper and therefore face up smaller for the same carat weight. If you are happy with your stone don't go looking for something wrong with it. Many will have their own preferences and tell you what those are, but it really isn't important. There is nothing wrong with your diamond. Don't look for others to pick it apart if you are happy with it. It will just make you question it for no real reason. Enjoy it and congratulations on your engagement.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring looks lovely. Congrats. I do think since YOU called the store that it means you DO want to compare it to some other ovals; that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t end up choosing the same one - I think it would give you peace of mind though.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
And I would throw out any sentimental Attachments. YOU have to be delighted looking at your stone. Any other feeling and the diamond isn’t worth it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think your ring looks lovely. Congrats. I do think since YOU called the store that it means you DO want to compare it to some other ovals; that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t end up choosing the same one - I think it would give you peace of mind though.

This!

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I agree. I doubt you’d come on here if you were 100% happy with it. Personally, I’d much prefer much higher colour and higher clarity at the expense of carat weight but, as others have pointed out, it’s about what works for you and makes you happy.

I would also say that the ovals cut with hearts are arrows to mimic the performance of rounds aren’t to everyone’s liking either. To me the shape ends up looking like a wonky round rather than a beautiful oval + you can get better fire in a well cut more traditional oval.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results