shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Gemfix Yellow Sapphire

ChelsNicole

Rough_Rock
Hi, all! Long time reader, first time poster! Thanks to the many experts at PS my boyfriend and I are shopping for a pale yellow/champagne colored sapphire for an e-ring. After drooling at this sapphire at GemFix, we decided to order it and see what it's like in person. It should be here soon, but I was hoping for some initial thoughts/opinions. When I called Andrew at GemFix, he said that the color is very light, which is what I'm looking for. I don't want a very saturated yellow - looking for more of a neutral pale yellow tone. Since I'll be wearing it every day, I don't want anything too bold or that I might tire of. I like sapphires over a diamond as I want something a little different, can't justify the cost of a diamond (esp. for the size I want), and it's also my boyfriend's birthstone :) I'll post the in-person pics once I get it, but let me know what you think in the meantime!

http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-yellow-541-portuguese-cushion-3-18cts

sapphire_yellow_541.jpg

sapphire_yellow_541_a.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFix is a reputable vendor, and they have a decent return period, so there's that.

If you want a pale yellow sapphire, I do think the one you linked to has the potential of being a very nice stone. At over 3 carats and with an AGL report stating untreated/unheated, the price is very reasonable.

Once you have the stone in hand, be sure to look at it in various lighting conditions to see if/how the color may shift, and gently rock it back and forth when it is sitting in-between your fingers to get a sense of the stone's performance.

Would you be setting the sapphire in yellow gold or another metal?

ChelsNicole

Rough_Rock
Thank you for responding marymm! This is the first time we have ever purchased something like this - hearing that you think the price is reasonable definitively makes me feel better :)

For settings, I would like to go with platinum. I'm not really a fan of yellow gold for everyday wear. I was thinking I might need a halo setting to add some more sparkle, since I know sapphires have a lower RI than your normal diamond e-ring - however, if it seems to give off enough sparkle on its own we may go with something a bit different.

It should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited! Hoping that Hurricane Matthew will allow me at least one sunny day in the next week so that I can test it out in different lighting!

ChelsNicole

Rough_Rock
It's here! I think the color is spot-on. I do see the small window that was referenced in the GemFix listing - I think you can see it in the pictures, the small area right at the bottom center of the stone. I guess I'm not really sure how 'big of deal' that is? Opinions welcome!

img_20161007_130232207.jpg

img_20161007_130501302.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the colour make you all excited when you see it?
How much does the window bother you? For some people, it matters. For other, it doesn't.
What sort of setting are you planning to get?

ChelsNicole

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1475862188|4084518 said:
Does the colour make you all excited when you see it?
How much does the window bother you? For some people, it matters. For other, it doesn't.
What sort of setting are you planning to get?

Definitely, yes. A couple weeks ago I bought this very cheap CZ ring since it was in the color I had in mind, so that I could wear it around for a while and be sure. I was still set on it after that. When I got the sapphire in, I was so surprised at how similar they are in color. It's exactly what I had in mind.

As to the window, it does bother me a little when it's sitting on my hand, but Andrew at GF mentioned that the window would likely close in a setting. Any thoughts on what type of setting we could look for that would 'close' the window? I was thinking I would want a platinum halo setting. I know halos are everywhere, but I do really like the look of them and I think it will help add some sparkle to the sapphire.

img_20161007_135933671.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The window may close up in a setting which has some metal underneath the basket (see 1st photo), as opposed to completely open below the basket (as in the 2nd photo):

more_closed_-_stuller.jpg

more_open_-_stuller.jpg

In some of your photos I seem to glimpse a hint of green in the pale yellow... is that what you see, or perhaps it is an artifact of photography?

ChelsNicole

Rough_Rock
I actually noticed the green tint as well, in very specific lighting. Crazy enough, this was one of the first pictures that caused me to fall in love with the whole sapphire idea - I think the stone in this pic definitely has a green tint. I decided to go with pale yellow instead, because I like the way it looks on my skin tone and I didn't want a color that was 'too different'. Never thought I'd be able to get the best of both worlds!

I'm pretty sure this sapphire is the one, but it's the first one we've ever purchased - guess I can't believe my luck! It's so helpful to be able to get unbiased opinions from others before making the final choice :)

_38408.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful pale yellow and the colour looks great on you. I can see the window in your pics but only you can decide whether it's bothering you. The hint of green looks like a treat!

ChelsNicole

Rough_Rock
Thank you Acinom! I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it, I think it would be really tough to find that color again and in the right cut/size.

marymm Thank you, that is very helpful!

Any suggestions on the best types of settings to be able to keep the stone clean? I've read that sapphires tend to show the dirt/grime more quickly than others. Would an open setting be best so that it can be cleaned easily, or a closed setting to try and keep the dirt/grime out?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light coloured stones tend to show dirt and grime more easily. As long as you have easy access to the underside, it's not to difficult to keep it clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results