shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Deco Cushion Halo Style Setting - Suggestions!

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Heartly, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Heartly
    Rough_Rock

by Heartly » Jul 2, 2012
    SO and I got engaged last week, but we're still working on the ring. We picked a stone from Adam at OWD last week, a 1.54 K antique cushion, about 6.75mmx6.75mm. The setting we're using as the inspiration is below, the jeweler will be making it with these modifications:

- Entire setting will be made for cushion (so the halo will be cushion too)
    - Simplified the side/band detail so it's much less feminine, should look like these: http://jewelry.1stdibs.com/jewelry_item_detail.php?id=35555
    - Removed 'cage' looking part underneath crown so that I can get a (mostly) flush fitting band

Here's the real question: The ring is still super fussy, which is cool, but I want to make sure I don't get tired of it. I'm thinking of having them eliminate the 'circle' details on the halo, so it's just plain halo all the way around. SO loves the setting because it's deco and looks steampunk-ish, but I need to make sure I can see myself in it forever. Thoughts?!?

Setting:

img_3155.jpg
    img_3153.jpg
    img_3154.jpg

Since it will be a cushion cut, I imagine it will overall look something like this:
    erstwhile_jewelry_vintage_engagement_ring-7928.jpg

Thoughts?? Should I leave the circle/dot details in the halo? Or simplify them like above? Thanks!

2. Mrs.W 514
    Brilliant_Rock

by Mrs.W 514 » Jul 2, 2012
    Re: Opinions on Deco Cushion Halo Style Setting - Suggestion

I really like the circle details. I think they add to the theme you are looking for. Since you are simplifying the shoulders and the basket of the ring I would leave the small bezel diamonds in the halo. If the circles are removed it will look more like most of the halos you see around, the circles are very unique.

3. webdiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by webdiva » Jul 2, 2012

I asked myself the same thing before adding the bezel details to my ring (which weren't on the original setting). It looked prominent on the photoshop I made, so I was a bit worried. However, in person - they blend in more. It's nice extra detail but doesn't overwhelm the ring. It gives it more of that art deco flair.

Have you thought about what wedding ring you'd like to put with it? I had asked the undergallery be angled more so a ring goes a smidge more flush, but it wasn't - so it's good that you're altering that part. However, in trying on rings I also found I don't like it too flush since the halo would overlap the wedding ring so I'm glad I have a little bit of a gap to showcase the wedding ring. Good luck! How exciting and glad you're happy with the stone! :)

4. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Jul 2, 2012

I love the circle details! I don't know if that is Beverley K or not, but there is a pendant setting like that that I just love!

5. Heartly
    Rough_Rock

by Heartly » Jul 2, 2012

Thanks Webdiva! Seeing your ring definitely pointed me in the right direction, can't wait to see those bands you get back. I think I'm ok with the band falling under the halo, but regardless, the cage-y thing (undergallery?) has never really been my thing, so I'd probably remove it anyway.

And thanks to everyone else! Everyone I talk to seems to like the details, so I'll probably keep them!

6. Heartly
    Rough_Rock

by Heartly » Jul 2, 2012

I have no idea if it's Beverly K either, I should ask!

7. webdiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by webdiva » Aug 24, 2012

I'm almost 100% sure that's Bev K since I tried on the same one at another store! :) The little side details give it away.

8. madelise
    Ideal_Rock

by madelise » Aug 24, 2012

I wouldn't get sick of that setting anytime soon :naughty:

I think classic vintage/antique style rings are as timeless as the 6-prong solitaire.. Especially since you're getting an old cut! It'll definitely be heirloom worthy!

9. JulieN
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by JulieN » Aug 24, 2012

Never heard steampunkish applied to jewelry, until now....

Anyway, I don't like those circle things either, but they are probably less noticeable in real life. I love cushion halos.