shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Antique Cushion

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am looking for a 3to 4ct Antique Cushion, I prefer not to go any lower than J. I have attached a picture of the stone it is the one on the right. EGL calls it a J so do you think it is more like a k or lower? Should I be concerned about the fluorescence? Here are the specs: 4ct J VS1 10.01x10.00x6.5
Depth 65.2%
Table 45%
Crown 19.7
Pavillion 38.4
Cutlet medium
Polish and symetry good
girdle thin to medium
Fluorescence Faint Blue

Please let me know if this is worth pursing. Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    930.3 KB · Views: 525

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
We can't really discern color from pictures. I had an antique 2.73 K Si EGL stone. Had it appraised and it was indeed a K colored stone, but that was just my personal experience. Have you seen Js in this large of a carat size? Even in my current 1 carat J antique vintage cushion I can see the J color. I would ask Adam for his honest opinion.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you will not see faint fluorescence in any lighting.

as far as color...if you are concerned perhaps take it to an appraiser within the return period?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have an example of a stone that EGL graded I color.
GIA graded it Q-R light brown.
I am not kidding.

So if the actual grade is important to you, please don't trust anything but GIA

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1317928170|3034758 said:
I am not kidding.

David, was it EGL USA or another branch of EGL? We've had a few cases where the same stone was sent to both EGL USA and to GIA and have consistently experienced a 2-grade difference in color, and clarity has come back the same. But your example is shocking if it was indeed EGL USA, so I'm very curious! Thanks!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ericad said:
Rockdiamond|1317928170|3034758 said:
I am not kidding.

David, was it EGL USA or another branch of EGL? We've had a few cases where the same stone was sent to both EGL USA and to GIA and have consistently experienced a 2-grade difference in color, and clarity has come back the same. But your example is shocking if it was indeed EGL USA, so I'm very curious! Thanks!

Hi Erica!
It was not EGL USA..... however for me, there's a BIG issue with trying to "order" the various EGL's with the purpose of trying to justify grades. ie- EGL USA is two colors off so a J is actually an L. This kind of reasoning gets us nowhere good.
I would agree that EGL USA is better than foreign branches.......but that's kind of like saying poop smells better than vomit...I still prefer to smell neither:)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that you should have it sent to GIA if you're really interested in knowing its color.

That being said, I love this stone. But, that's probably because it looks a lot like a larger version of my own stone, and I love my stone!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
great point haven- problems with the lab, and resultant problems with sellers representing EGL grades they know to be false does not make the stone itself a bad stone.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing photos of antique diamonds and then seeing them in person there usually is a HUGE difference. I've seen many of JBEG's pieces in person after seeing them online (back in 2009/2010) and they certainly appear whiter in person than they do in photos. Same could be said of the antique cushion we had purchased from Adam previously. The photos of my K (EGL USA ) looked immensely tinted compared to the diamond in person. Granted, a larger J may show more tint and cushions certainly show more color than say a round brilliant would. But that's the charm with cushions and especially antique cushions.

The current 1.07 J august vintage cushion does show color to ME. To others it looks very white. I am color sensitive... so I would suggest seeing it in person and consulting your s/o in regards to color.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I can't offer you any more advice on the color of the stone than you have already gotten, but I will say that I think that the diamond is beautiful! I would love to rock that baby on my hand! :love:

FordFairlane

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond said:
great point haven- problems with the lab, and resultant problems with sellers representing EGL grades they know to be false does not make the stone itself a bad stone.

Problem is what is the true value and what should this customer pay for a 4.00CT J EGL stone? (Assuming this is the one for them)

For something so expensive the cost of a GIA report seems to be negligible as compared to how important it is for determining value so that a fair price can be reached.

The end seller isn't misrepresenting anything they are selling it as an EGL J, they routinely discount EGL stones over GIA (as the market does) but is the discount enough?
I have no idea and nor would any other consumer.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
FordFairlane|1318002392|3035348 said:
Rockdiamond said:
Problem is what is the true value and what should this customer pay for a 4.00CT J EGL stone? (Assuming this is the one for them)

For something so expensive the cost of a GIA report seems to be negligible as compared to how important it is for determining value so that a fair price can be reached.

The end seller isn't misrepresenting anything they are selling it as an EGL J, they routinely discount EGL stones over GIA (as the market does) but is the discount enough?
I have no idea and nor would any other consumer.
Right, and I think that's why it's important to obtain that GIA report on this stone if the OP plans to move forward and consider buying it.

My current stone was uncertified when my jeweler obtained it, so he sent it to GIA upon my request. That was the only way I was going to be comfortable purchasing the stone, because that GIA report is the standard I needed to determine its worth.

I agree with others that you really have to see an antique stone in person to judge its color and performance. Videos are great, I have about 20 videos of my own ring, but they don't even come close to showing the stone's true appearance.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good point Ford- there are indeed sellers offering EGL graded diamonds in a fair and transparent manner.
I do find a common problem is that many sellers offer EGL graded diamonds in such a way that uninformed consumers are left in the dark.

I agree wholeheartedly that getting any a GIA report on any large stone is a great idea- for the long run as well as at time of purchase.
We get many calls from people wanting to sell diamonds nowadays consumers with a GIA report are in a far stronger position if they need to sell the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results