shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on a small emerald (or help me find one)

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I never used to be an emerald person but this forum has changed my mind and now I can’t stop looking at them. I’m hoping to find a small emerald (any cut) around .35-.45ct that has amazing saturation and cut. I seem to gravitate towards the color of the ones from Muzo (as much as tried not to jump on that bandwagon). I found this one but I’m still new to emeralds and I don’t have an eye for it yet. I don’t mind inclusions, particularly if it’s in exchange for great color

What do you think? If you wanted THE emerald for your collection, would you pick this one? (Note - the pics are blurry because I took them from video.) If not, help me find one! :)

CF6857EF-3F45-4A3E-B882-5BCB404FB406.png A9E07958-FEFE-4452-A873-A8CF0114DD48.png 474A3D07-53BA-4738-8E94-A18C507FE91B.png F5EAD427-2700-4C93-9798-CA7BC762D59A.png F8108144-1BCE-4447-BD8A-2EA09290B8F2.png 8D2B29E5-FF30-4598-9E72-8FFB3BF592AE.png F4AD0FEE-DC26-4E44-996D-014AA059AF44.png 90F62239-8358-4DDD-A9FE-14643BEFBC20.png

Attachments

• 1D4B6755-7CE4-48B0-A365-09800766A421.jpeg
    1D4B6755-7CE4-48B0-A365-09800766A421.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 14

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you purchase any gemstone online, always get shots of it against a lighter background, and in various light sources if you can. Dark backgrounds can really skew the real color of the gem.

Emeralds should come with a reputable lab report as well. 99.9% are fracture filled, so you just need to know how much, as that can really affect the price.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I‘ve been keeping an eye out for my perfect emerald too. I follow these two vendors on Instagram. They both regularly post prices in their stories, which I love. Plus, lots of emerald videos.

https://instagram.com/colombianemeralds?igshid=ldgw780s1axz

https://instagram.com/muzoemeralds?igshid=105jccj2tals5

I would ask the level of clarity enhancement and if they have a reputable lab report stating that. Depending on what your budgeting, it may be worth paying for a report out of pocket to make sure you get what you are paying for.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know your budget but Inken at Enhoerning has sourced a few tiny (~ 0.5-ct) perfect untreated emeralds of top color. I know I'll never have a good-sized one that checks all those boxes but a tiny well cut, vivid green goes a long way in a pendant with a halo, etc.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I don't know your budget but Inken at Enhoerning has sourced a few tiny (~ 0.5-ct) perfect untreated emeralds of top color. I know I'll never have a good-sized one that checks all those boxes but a tiny well cut, vivid green goes a long way in a pendant with a halo, etc.

Does anyone have a general idea of what a budget for a "perfect little emerald" from Inken might cost -- just ballpark so I know what I can expect? I've been searching on Google but as expected, prices are all over the place!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a general idea of what a budget for a "perfect little emerald" from Inken might cost

Certainly four figures. I don't know about eye-clean and treated, though.

You can ask her -- she's pretty candid.

If it's small and very clean, I think it can be hard to establish origin. I don't know if that's important to you.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Certainly four figures. I don't know about eye-clean and treated, though.

You can ask her -- she's pretty candid.

If it's small and very clean, I think it can be hard to establish origin. I don't know if that's important to you.

I actually like the inclusions in emeralds, provided that it adds personality and doesn’t detract from the stone so I suppose “perfect“ is relative :)

I think I’m also realizing that I like a bit of a blue undertone. For green stones, I’m too dedicated to demantoid.

I’m ultimately looking to get and emerald and a ruby around .35-.45 carats each and I’m not in any rush necessarily. I’m debating if this stone has the glow I’m looking for...

I, too, hope to one day find a "small yet mighty" emerald. That being said, I'm not sure about this pear. There's something about the way the coloring is distributed that I'm not fond of. Maybe the tip is so much darker than the rest? That it looks like a bowtie or something in the middle? I'm not knowledgeable enough to describe it in better terms. But I remember reading that these are common issues with pears.

It's kinda like half-and-half extinction in ovals, I guess? I once bought an oval stone that had that. I got so annoyed with tilting the gem back and forth trying to get the color to show all the way around that I finally just returned the darn thing. I'm wary that pears might perform similarly if the ends are much more saturated than the rest of the stone. I could be totally wrong though!

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I, too, hope to one day find a "small yet mighty" emerald. That being said, I'm not sure about this pear. There's something about the way the coloring is distributed that I'm not fond of. Maybe the tip is so much darker than the rest? That it looks like a bowtie or something in the middle? I'm not knowledgeable enough to describe it in better terms. But I remember reading that these are common issues with pears.

It's kinda like half-and-half extinction in ovals, I guess? I once bought an oval stone that had that. I got so annoyed with tilting the gem back and forth trying to get the color to show all the way around that I finally just returned the darn thing. I'm wary that pears might perform similarly if the ends are much more saturated than the rest of the stone. I could be totally wrong though!

Ohhhh.... I see it now. There was something I couldn’t put my finger on about this but I think you’re right. It’s pretty inexpensive and I like the blue undertone so I might risk it. I haven‘t seen much emerald in person so could be a good “learner” stone to make sure I like it ;-)

Thanks so much to all of you of the opinions. I definitely welcome it as I’m learning!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one you're considering but would want pics on someone's hand.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Ps. I would ask muzo emeralds (on IG) to help source something. Their emeralds are gorgeous. I also love the blue green emeralds. Like this one :) https://www.instagram.com/p/BEYu8uDBNEH/?igshid=x5jrez6y98ej

Oh yes! His are simply gorgeous! What are your thoughts on this one? I notice it darkens on the right side. Is that normal -- thinking it's just lighting since the same shadow is in most of the picture. A few shots from the video:

1613503579572.png

1613503708847.png

1613503873668.png

Attachments

• 1613503763335.png
    1613503763335.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 18

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like both the pear and this one. I think the saturation had been turned up on the second one, and the darkness you're seeing is some extinction due to the cut or crystal.

For all the talk about emerald jardin, there is not much to be seen in either of these examples.

IMG_20200308_173455.jpg

Here is my own small but mighty Afghani emerald from Inken. She found it and offered it as a small buy at $250, which I had accepted as an opportunistic buy. I have it locked up and plan to set it with red spinels and rubies as pictured in a platinum pendant like the cobalt spinel and paraibas there. It's smaller than what you're looking for at only 3mm, but to me this is a tiny, perfect emerald.

I like both the pear and this one. I think the saturation had been turned up on the second one, and the darkness you're seeing is some extinction due to the cut or crystal.

For all the talk about emerald jardin, there is not much to be seen in either of these examples.

IMG_20200308_173455.jpg

Here is my own small but mighty Afghani emerald from Inken. She found it and offered it as a small buy at $250, which I had accepted as an opportunistic buy. I have it locked up and plan to set it with red spinels and rubies as pictured in a platinum pendant like the cobalt spinel and paraibas there. It's smaller than what you're looking for at only 3mm, but to me this is a tiny, perfect emerald.

:-o:-o:-o That's exactly the small yet mighty I'm talkin about! And at a steal of a deal to boot. My dream is to find a stone like that one day and set it in "sweet" little bezel or 3-stone ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results