shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed: stone AND ideal scope

roz07042

Rough_Rock
First and foremost, I just want to thank all of the members of this forum. It really has been such an invaluable wealth of information. With that said, I would love to gather some feedback in regards to 2 things.

1. Thoughts on this diamond from JA

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.26-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-232625

True H&A 1.26 G VS1
table: 56
crown: 34.5
pavilion: 40.8
depth: 62.3
Ideal scope attached (any ideas on that dark squiggly line between 9 and 10 o'clock?)

2. Being unsure about buying a diamond site-unseen, even with a return policy, I met with a very reputable jeweler. We quickly narrowed it down to 2 stones. Both were borderline steep/deep, yet looked great to my eye. What left me uneasy was my experience using the ideal scope. He didn't have a light dock so I was told to use it like I would looking through a regular loupe, up in the air close to my eye. There was a tremendous amount of light leakage in both. I'm clearly not an expert, but from the videos I've seen since my appointment, the ideal scope completely encapsulates the diamond. Could the light leakage be a result of the way I was using it?

Thanks in advance!

ideal_0.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
The JA stone looks great! :)) I think that the squiggly line that you are seeing is a piece of dust or thread or something that was on the stone during the photograph. There isn't anything on the report to indicate otherwise.

As to what you were seeing trying to use the IS at the jewelers....Idk. :(( I don't have any first hand experience using them however I've read that it's much easier to use when using the light box. I've heard others say that they have used their cell phones as a light source as well. My thought is that you were using inappropriately, it's not a loupe and isn't intended to to be used like one. I'm sure that someone else with more first hand knowledge will chime in though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results