shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed for New Cushion Cut Diamond Purchase for Engagement

J_kalifornia

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I just purchased a diamond from Blue Nile. It is for my future fiance and I am just worried it will not be brilliant.
The diamond has strong Fluorescence but I am not worried as I know she loves the blue color change.
I am more worried it wont shine. Each person I spoke with told me this will have great brilliance but I was hoping for more feedback if possible. I did go over my budget to still get her something bigger. I did get confirmation the diamond was eye clean for a SI2. Any help would be great. I tried choosing the rock with what the internet gave me a best measurements possible for depth and table for a cushion.

Cut: Very Good
Colour: F
Carat: 1.4
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 66%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick
Measurements: 6.99 x 6.52 x 4.03 mm

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

Much appreciated guys,

Joey

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @J_kalifornia - and welcome! :wavey:

So my opinion - and no reason you have to take this on board....

I'm not loving it. The faceting is messy and won't be clear enough on her hand. I think you won't see that nice, balanced, starburst pattern one looks for in a modern cushion very clearly - and that's what will make this diamond beautiful or not. The table is too large - giving it a flat, 'pancake' sort of appearance in profile and - while the shallow depth (for a cushion) will give you good spread, it won't aid you in getting great light return. It also looks a little cloudy to me, which makes me think that perhaps this is one of those strong fluorescent diamonds where the fluorescence is affecting the clarity of the stone. And - is it eye clean? Hmmmmm....

So for my money - nope.

Here is a WAY better diamond, still in your busget. It's smaller - there's no question. But it should sparkle like the very dickens - and will look bigger because of it. A smaller, bright, sparkly stone beats a larger, dead looking stone every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I looked at every color and clarity grade, in a wide sweep of sizes, extending your budget - and this is the best stone I found. It's a beauty:

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

If the smaller size is of bother to you, use the money you save on this stone towards setting it in a halo; that will effectively mask any drop in size and make the switch MORE than worth it! And I, personally, think cushions are MADE for halos.

I hope this is of some use to you, and best wishes on this important journey!

ETA Please don't get Blue Nile to set this for you. Their prong work is lumpy and below par. Contact David Klass Jewelry in LA; they'll give you a top notch setting for a far better price.

J_kalifornia

Rough_Rock
I greatly appreciate the feedback, I just wanted something that has great brilliance while maximizing on size. I receive the diamond this week and will look at it, if i do not like it under all lightings, I will return it back as I have 30 days to do so. I greatly appreciated your advice and will def save your recommendation :)
I love halos and was going to add one to this one as well hehe

Thanks,

J

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@J_kalifornia -

If you were going to add a halo anyway, then DEFINITELY go with the better diamond. It's highly unlikely you'll be able to tell the difference once it's set anyway. Here's a .64ct stone I own in a solitaire and in a floral halo. See what I mean?

AVR before and after.jpeg

Next, here's a comparison of my .64ct ring above, next to my 1.4ct solitaire. The .64ct ring has FAR more presence on the hand and completely masks the difference in size. it also gets way more compliments!

20190513_154310.jpg

20190513_161624.jpg

20190513_161610.jpg

I've done business with BN literally dozens and dozens of times on diamonds of all sizes and prices, and my position on their settings is an experienced one. Get some help here on a setting idea and you'll never notice the difference.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Re the stone that @mrs-b linked -- BEAUTIFUL CUSHION AND GREAT PRICE! I would buy that one in a heartbeat if I were in your shoes. I've toyed with the idea of cushion cut studs, and if I could I would totally get that cushion and then enlist @mrs-b to find me another -- she is the best when it comes to finding stones like this.

J_kalifornia

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all the feedback guys
You are all awesome!
:)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re the stone that @mrs-b linked -- BEAUTIFUL CUSHION AND GREAT PRICE! I would buy that one in a heartbeat if I were in your shoes. I've toyed with the idea of cushion cut studs, and if I could I would totally get that cushion and then enlist @mrs-b to find me another -- she is the best when it comes to finding stones like this.
same!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awww - why thank you, @SandyK! I love cushions and enjoy finding the best ones I can. What a great hobby to have!! :mrgreen:

J_kalifornia

Rough_Rock
Amazing thank you all for the feedback, I am going to call them and see if I can switch it :)

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Awww - why thank you, @SandyK! I love cushions and enjoy finding the best ones I can. What a great hobby to have!! :mrgreen:
Haha - you are a diamond hunter!

As a totally random side note (sorry for the threadjack!) - Blue Nile frequently sends me emails about price drops on 5 carat cushion cuts, because I clicked on that one you found awhile ago and did not buy, lol. If only I had the budget for a 5 carat cushion haha. . .

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, @mrs-b is a great resource for finding cushion cuts! It's almost like she beckons and they come find her.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LinSF -

That's my problem! THEY come find ME! I tell my husband this. Oddly, he doesn't believe me.... :twisted2:

@SandyK - I hear you on this! They email me also. But I think I've baffled them by looking at SO many different stones, they just send me "Please buy a diamond - here's a link to our site!" generic emails, about 5 times a day. Seriously. If I check my spam, I have an email from them every few hours. It's unreal.

One day we'll both get our 5 ct diamond. :) Actually, now that I think of it - I got mine...and then I sold it!! I seriously must have been out of my mind. I just couldn't get used to the OEC shape. This was years ago now, tho, when I wasn't as familiar with them as I am now. Nowadays, I don't think I'd have any problem at all! :mrgreen:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree! @mrs-b found my SI2 completely eye clean cushion diamond in my avatar. I had David Klass make a halo setting..It’s gorgeous and sparkles like crazy! I love it better than my VSI round brilliant that’s actually larger than the cushion. The halo gives me the finger coverage I was looking for! I would definitely think about the stone she recommended!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't look like OP is going to follow through on the stone I posted. Pity - he could have done a lot better.

I'm guessing he might also be setting with BN. Here's hoping his choice cuts the mustard for him.

OP, I wish you and your future fiancee every happiness. :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doesn't look like OP is going to follow through on the stone I posted. Pity - he could have done a lot better.

I'm guessing he might also be setting with BN. Here's hoping his choice cuts the mustard for him.

OP, I wish you and your future fiancee every happiness. :))
I just looked at that stone...It is gorgeous!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at that stone...It is gorgeous!

Yup. I'd buy it myself if I were looking in that range. It really is the best one in the BN inventory for that price range - and by quite a bit. They're carrying a lot of crushed ice cushions at the moment - all with poor symmetry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results