shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions/help on round 1.01 D VVS2 lab diamond

Jacob123

Rough_Rock
Hi. First time poster here. I know little about diamonds except the basics I've read recently and could use your expert opinions.

Diamond: IGI 468109487, 1.01 carat, D, VVS2, ideal cut

It has a Holloway cut advisor score of 1.5 with three of the factors listed as very good and one excellent. Since this is below 2, the guidance is that this is good. Are very good factors distinguishable from excellent factors?

This diamond was suggested as the center stone for a ring for $2150. Compared to similar stones on adiamor, it seems to have a ~$400 markup. Since the ring is being custom made, I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of ordering and sending a center stone to the jeweler and then incurring a setting fee anyway. I'm willing to accept the markup for the convenience.

Besides the markup, I would like opinions on whether this is a good diamond for an ~reasonable price. Any negatives that anyone could point out which a novice would miss?

Thank you.

Attachments

• igi468109487.pdf
    657.2 KB · Views: 6

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PriceScope, Jacob123!
The proportions aren't very good for a ring, in my opinion.
Pavilion angle too steep and crown angle too shallow along with a wider 58.5% table.

Pre-existing laser inscription on the girdle, so who knows where this diamond came from, how many hands its changed, or how old it is.

Screenshot_20220511-173445.png

We can help you find an amazing diamond, if you can provide us with a bit of info:
1. Budget cap
2. Max color grade
3. Max clarity grade
4. Are you in a locale that has shipping/import/customs taxes and fees that need to be factored in to the final price?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ideally, try to find a diamond with the following proportions and angles:

Crown angle: 34-35°
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9°
Table width: 54-58°
There is an inverse relationship to keep in mind...when the pavilion angle is a little shallower (say 40.6°), then stick with a crown angle of around 35° (up to 35.5-36.0° may be OK, depending on some other factors).
If the PA is slightly steeper (say 40.8-40.9°), then try to stick with a CA of 34-35°.

Jacob123

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PriceScope, Jacob123!
The proportions aren't very good for a ring, in my opinion.
Pavilion angle too steep and crown angle too shallow along with a wider 58.5% table.

Pre-existing laser inscription on the girdle, so who knows where this diamond came from, how many hands its changed, or how old it is.

Screenshot_20220511-173445.png

We can help you find an amazing diamond, if you can provide us with a bit of info:
1. Budget cap
2. Max color grade
3. Max clarity grade
4. Are you in a locale that has shipping/import/customs taxes and fees that need to be factored in to the final price?

Thank you very much for the quick reply and information. I see that I overlooked the recommended proportions table. Shouldn't that be reflected in a lower HCA score though?

If you could recommend a 1-1.5 ct diamond:
1. Budget: $2800
2. Color: E-D
3. VVS preferred (maybe VS1)
4. Locale with no taxes/customs/fees
I would very much appreciate it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much for the quick reply and information. I see that I overlooked the recommended proportions table. Shouldn't that be reflected in a lower HCA score though?

Found a few that you may want to take a closer look at.
Ask for pictures/video of the first one.

Jacob123

Rough_Rock
Ideally, try to find a diamond with the following proportions and angles:

Crown angle: 34-35°
Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9°
Table width: 54-58°
There is an inverse relationship to keep in mind...when the pavilion angle is a little shallower (say 40.6°), then stick with a crown angle of around 35° (up to 35.5-36.0° may be OK, depending on some other factors).
If the PA is slightly steeper (say 40.8-40.9°), then try to stick with a CA of 34-35°.

This one seem to fit the criteria for $2100. Would you recommend it?

Attachments

• igi502149468.pdf
    624 KB · Views: 2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That one is much nicer than the first one you posted. Do you have a vendor photo or video?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Based on the proportions and angles, very likely, Do you have a link to a photo/video portfolio of this one? The grading report is only one piece of the puzzle - assessing it visually (and taking it a step further with ASET and/or Ideal-Scope images) is crucial to ensure there's nothing wonky going on.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We usually like to see Excellent for Light Return, Fire, and Scintillation, and Very Good for Spread.

Take a look at these.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jacob, if you find one you really like, I highly recommend you put it on hold so that it doesn't get bought out from under you.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you prefer to stick with James Allen for convenience and are okay with the premium, then here are a few to peruse.

Jacob123

Rough_Rock
Jacob, if you find one you really like, I highly recommend you put it on hold so that it doesn't get bought out from under you.

Thank you Kim and DejaWiz. You have made great recommendations. I really like the 1.38 D VS1 with the GCAL 8X cert .

I don't see an option to place it on hold on the Adiamor website. Is that something a representative will do if I call?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kim and DejaWiz. You have made great recommendations. I really like the 1.38 D VS1 with the GCAL 8X cert .

I don't see an option to place it on hold on the Adiamor website. Is that something a representative will do if I call?

You're very welcome! Yes, I'm sure a rep can do that if you call or chat.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N said it best...You can call, email, or chat with them to put it on hold/reserve:

Not sure what their operating hours are, but try the chat and, if that doesn't go through at this hour, then sent an email and follow up with a chat first thing in the morning.
Diligence and speed are crucial for securing a diamond since you are potentially competing with hundreds to thousands of anonymous visitors looking for diamonds both here and at their website. Diamond sniping happens all too often!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results