shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions appreciated! 1.83, H, AGS 3x0, HCA 2.3, VVS2

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm a new poster but have been lurking around gleaning all the great information you guys have provided on this forum. Really helpful stuff. Many thanks to all of you.

So I've got this rock on hold at JA for 1 or 2 more days, and am hoping you guys can provide some helpful feedback. Any feedback you guys have is absolutely welcomed (i.e., on any/all of the diamond's features, especially its cut, its light performance, etc.).

Also, let me know what you guys think of the price, which will be $23,260 after the pricescope discount. Possibly further discount upon wire payment, right?

I've attached the AGS chart (hopefully it works), and have requested an idealscope image from JA, which I will post when I receive it.

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 706

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks promising.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks like a great stone!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a stone w/ a 53 table :sun:

Thritto - looks like it'll be nice, IS will confirm.

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
many thanks everyone for the input.. i'm looking forward to the idealscope image..

that 2.03 vs2 looks like a great find, as well. HCA 1.3. i may definitely look into it if i don't pick up the 1.83. with the vs2, i won't be able to see any of the inclusions with the naked eye, right? i can spot a few of them in the macro-picture on the james allen website. those aren't otherwise visible though, yeah?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still, blown up photos are really not a good way to judge whether a stone will be eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are, IRL. Call in and ask JA - but yes, if you have "normal" vision and a "normal" definition of eyeclean, VS2 should be fine in this size!

First decide what *you* mean by eyeclean - totally clean face up w/ 20/20 vision in most lights from 5"? 15"? from the sides as well? then have them vet the stone to those requirements

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bridecat|1308850367|2953039 said:
Personally I would always like to go down just a bit in carat to get a better color and GIA grading. I wouldn't invest in a diamond these days without a GIA certificate.

Like this one for example...around the same price, better color, clarity, GIA graded but just a bit smaller. All worth it in my book!

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1356812.asp

AGS is reputable. AGS0 with the Platinum report w/ light performance analysis premium commands a slight premium over GIA EX cut of the same ct/clarity/colour.

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
i understand the AGS0 is a bit more prestigious than the GIA EX grading, correct?

is what i posted a platinum report?

thanks everyone for the thoughts! also, i noticed the 2.02 stone linked above has a 3.5% girdle, whereas the 1.83 has a thin to medium girdle. does this mean the 2.02 stone won't appear as large as other 2 carat stones?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
butdamnbrian|1308853356|2953086 said:
i understand the AGS0 is a bit more prestigious than the GIA EX grading, correct? is what i posted a platinum report?
yes

thanks everyone for the thoughts! also, i noticed the 2.02 stone linked above has a 3.5% girdle, whereas the 1.83 has a thin to medium girdle. does this mean the 2.02 stone won't appear as large as other 2 carat stones?
GIA grades girdle differently from AGS - GIA considers thickness in the valleys only, AGS considers all-over min/max. the 3.5% is the max thickness through the valleys, it's fine. The 2ct is facing up just fine for the ct weight, not to worry - the diametre spread is directly listed on the report in mm - 8.1-8.13mm. A shallower 2ct will face-up larger, a much shallower 2ct might face up visibly larger, a much deeper 2ct will face up smaller, but of course these different proportion types will result in stones that return light differently

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Adore the small table :appl: Could you go down in clarity and get a bigger stone ?

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info yssie!

@chamois: that's a v. good question; i could def. trade off clarity (eg. from vvs2 to vs2) for carat (from 1.83 to 2). i may call in about the 2c JA stone linked above... both are close to the same price.

what do you think? worth dropping down in clarity for the extra 0.2c?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I would check with JA that the 2.03ct H VS2 is eye clean to your standards. Also, would you be happy with strong fluorescence ? It is larger than the 1.83ct, I don't think the size difference will be that much of a difference. I would request to see both side by side if it were me making this choice. It might help you decide.

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
Okay, just received the idealscope image! what do you guys think? below par? above par? i'm not too sure how to read this:

be critical !

1306892id.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
looks great!

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
thanks @slg!

anyone else have thoughts about the idealscope image? i have until tomorrow to decide whether to purchase this one! thanks so much everyone!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
butdamnbrian|1308983553|2954657 said:
thanks @slg!

anyone else have thoughts about the idealscope image? i have until tomorrow to decide whether to purchase this one! thanks so much everyone!
Its a little painted which helps with those proportions - so I like it, and HCA would if I had that level of data in the look up files.

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
sorry.. that's sort of Greek to me... what do you mean by painted? and what level of data would help?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
butdamnbrian|1308985649|2954668 said:
sorry.. that's sort of Greek to me... what do you mean by painted? and what level of data would help?

You can search and learn here, or take my word for it - it is a well cut stone - not H&A's level, but few would be able to pick it from one. The slightly high HCA score would be bought down if I had have incorporated a varaible for painting in it.

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry!

I've been told AGS color grading is less strict than GIA; is there any chance this AGS H is more yellow than a typical GIA H?

butdamnbrian

Rough_Rock
just pulled the trigger on the 1.83c. thanks everyone for the great advice and feedback!

JA was great to work with, and the PS + wire discount is REALLY GREAT... great stuff! hopefully it will look as great in person as the IS and paperwork suggest!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results