shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Appreciated - 0.62ct K-VVS1 GIAXXX

pittin

Rough_Rock
This will be my first diamond purchase and I'm finding myself obsessing over all of the details and possibilities. It's pretty darn fun and entertaining to try to find the perfect balance of characteristics. This diamond will be used in a pendant in palladium, most likely.

My priorities in order:
Cost under $1,400
Cut - great cut, polish, and symmetry are very important
Carat - I thought this would be a lower priority but I know I won't be satisfied with less than .5ct
Clarity - VS2-SI1 were my plan, but this diamond I found just happened to be VVS1
Color - I think I will be perfectly fine with I-J-K
Fluorescence - I've exhaustively read the billion of threads on fluorescents. I LOVE the idea of fluorescents. How fascinating is it that the electrons begin emitting their own light under certain conditions? Love it. I think the hazy/milkiness thing is way overblown. If this is an issue when I receive the stone, I'll return it. I don't anticipate seeing any haziness/milkiness. Strong Blue fluorescence is a selling point for me.

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 0.62
COLOR: K
CLARITY: VVS1
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Strong
L/W/D (MM): 5.50*5.49*3.38

L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 61.50
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 57.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 34.00
CROWN %: 14.50
PAVILION ∠: 41.00
PAVILION %: 43.50

HCA SCORE: 1.4
Light Return - Excellent
Fire - Excellent
Scintillation - Very Good
Spread - Very Good

Price: $1,380

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.62-carat-k-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-689144

I may have impulsively already purchased the stone. But now the nagging thoughts are creeping in that maybe I compromised in the wrong areas. This stone wasn't in James Allen's physical inventory so they didn't have an ASET, Ideal Scope, or Sarin, etc. This is something I could look into once it arrives - at the very least I will use a H&A viewer.

As far as I can tell, everything looks good? I can clearly see the H&A in the images and all looks well to my untrained-eye. It's not too late to cancel my order before it ships.

Any tips, comments, or observations would be warmly welcomed.

Thank you!

snip20151119_12.png
snip20151119_15.png

pittin

Rough_Rock
The James Allen rep assures me there are no ill effects from the fluoroscence, but they don't have it in-house to inspect themselves? Should this be a concern?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's got all the right numbers. I'm pretty sure this would not be considered an H&A but you dont need an H&A for a pretty stone.
(btw, you can only see the arrows from the front, the hearts have to be seen from the back of the stone).

If I wanted to see anything on this stone it would be an idealscope just to double check the numbers.

All and all, this should be a pretty safe stone to buy.

pittin

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate the assurance. When I look at the image on James Allen's website, I can see arrows and they appear symmetrical when I move the diamond back and forth. What makes you think the diamond isn't a H&A stone?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I have the stone facing me as straight as I think possible there is no way I can make all the arrows line up nicely with
the arrow heads. I can turn it to make some line up but then others are not well aligned. This is in no way a way to define
H&A. You really need an H&A viewer.

H&A is usually a pretty strict definition of precision cutting. Not that many stones fall into this category and when they do, they
are usually branded as an H&A and will be priced higher.

If H&A is important to you, you can get them at Whiteflash, Good old Gold and Brian Gavin Diamonds...
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3577076.htm

pittin

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is hard to get all the arrows to darken at the same time in the video they have. I assumed that was an issue with the photography, rather than the actual stone. My thought is that the cut is intended to be a H&A stone, but perhaps it wasn't cut as precisely? But then the GIA report says it has an excellent cut and excellent symmetry and all the proportions seem to be in the right ballpark. I guess I'm unclear on the relationship between H&A, HCA scores, ideal proportion parameters, and the quality of the actual hearts and arrows. I will have a better understanding once I see the stone in person with a H&A viewer. I wish James Allen would send an ASET or Ideal scope imagine. Should I be concerned that they won't?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pittin|1448042466|3952149 said:
I wish James Allen would send an ASET or Ideal scope imagine. Should I be concerned that they won't?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.565-k-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104080115026
$1385
At the same price, for the maximum assurance, you sacrifice 0.06 carat and two grades of clarity. Light performance is guaranteed.

If you were to pick K 0.62 VS from a signature H&A line (I was not able to find any), I assume it would be around $1600~1700. So that's at least $200 premium for added "assurance"

How much assurance do you need? How much premium are you willing to pay? Only you know.

Based on proportions and GIA grading, the stone you picked may perform as good as other signature H&A; you hit a home run. At the worst, it is still GIA X and performs well (just not super ideal level).

If I were you, I would skip this stone if JA does not provide a light performance image. There are many stones out there that provide a better balance of color, clarity, carat, assurance and value.

For example. $1250
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.53-carat-j-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-720176
HCA: 0.9
All numbers in the ideal range (with deep table-shallow pav combo :love: )
It is a bit smaller but still above 0.5. (and priced accordingly, 130 dollar cheaper)
Visually looks better (at least according to the magnified image)
One color level upgrade to J
Canada diamond (more value added, if you care about the origin and how your diamond is processed)

That's just me.

pittin

Rough_Rock
I can't even express how thankful I am for your response. You are awesome. That is exactly the kind of guidance I needed. I think I will cancel my order and take your advice.

THANK YOU!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pittin|1448087686|3952386 said:
I can't even express how thankful I am for your response. You are awesome. That is exactly the kind of guidance I needed. I think I will cancel my order and take your advice.

THANK YOU!

In addition, if you own a H&M viewer (or other tools), there is no reason why you stick only with JA (perhaps because of the 360 magnified image???). BN should be considered, because they have more options and better pricing. All stores have a great return policy.

Here is an example.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06074676
HCA: 1.5

If you ask me J/VS1 vs K/VVS1, J/VS is a clear winner.

Good luck~~

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results