clarity

Opinion

gnc01

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I came across a diamond from a local jewerler and here are the specs:

Round
SI2 (eye clean)
D (definitely this colour because I compared to GIA G colour and it is much whiter).
XXX
7.09x7.00x4.21

It seems to be a wide diamond compared to similar carot sizes I have come across. I do not have any other info,
But in person it looks really good and comparible go GIA certified diamonds. What price seems fair for this?

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I'm assuming this isn't a GIA/AGS diamond based on what you are saying. The diamond has a big spread for 1.25 cts. Can you post the report?

I also find it interesting that you say it is "much" whiter than a GIA G color. I was looking at solitaires in Tiffany one day and the sales associate was pretty surprised that I could easily tell a D from a G when turned upside down. Face up I couldn't spot a difference, and I am color sensitive.

gnc01

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, there is no report since it is not certified by the GIA/AGS. The spread is nice because face up it looks much larger compared to other 1.25 carots.. I compared it to the GIA diamond that scored a 3 on the HCA and it performs the same under different lighting conditions. Wondering if the price is right if I should buy.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't (and I doubt anyone else on this forum would either). It's not certified by a reliable agency - you have no idea what you are actually getting. If this really was an excellent cut D/SI2, it would likely sell for thousands more if it were GIA certified. So why wouldn't the store or cutter send it to GIA for a cert? Likely because they know it would come back significantly different from how they are representing it currently.

It's pretty unusual for truly well cut stones to face up large for their carat weight. In addition, the variation from 7.00-7.09mm is a little bit of a red flag that the symmetry really isn't as good as they are telling you it is.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are they charging? They can't tell you what colour or XXX if it isn't even graded - that's all estimates. However, if you think it's a good price you can always buy it and send it to GIA/AGS. Maybe if it doesn't come up as they described you can get your $$ back?
It would have to be a REALLY good deal for an uncarted diamond IMO though. And it just makes me wonder, why wouldn't they just spend the few hundred bucks to have it certed and be able to charge more?

gnc01

Rough_Rock
It is cerified by a Canadian company and apparently that is where most Canadian diamonds get certified. All the numbers I posted are from that certification company, but nothing more. Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm in Canada.

Price is $9,000 CDN.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
There's no way to tell you if the price is fair, since there's not enough information to make that decision. There are 13 D/SI2 diamonds available on BlueNile for less than 7000 US (just over 9000 CAD) that are >1.2 carats. I looked through and there are a couple that I would consider based on cut (but I wouldn't want an SI2 diamond for an e-ring), but overall nothing that blew my socks off. I have a hard time believing that you are getting an amazing deal on this diamond whose specs aren't verified.

gnc01

Rough_Rock
They are certified by:

http://www.gslaboratories.com/

I would have to pay a nominal fee to get the depth, table etc. However to send this for certification by the GIA is not financially reasonable.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Canada as well. There is no way I'd pay 9k for that.

gnc01

Rough_Rock
What is a fair market price? The jewler has markup so I can't expect to pay his cost ..

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a fair market price to pay for a banana when they're telling you it's a chocolate chip cookie?

You cannot compare this GS Labs graded D SI2 against a GIA or AGS graded D SI2. That D could be a GIA/AGS G or H and not SI2 but I1 or I2.

You could however search online for an AGS ideal cut OR GIA 3X g/h si2 and get some comps that way. you might even find a more beautiful stone in your budget that way.

No one here can say what is fair for that stone because no one knows what it actually is.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gnc01|1459876355|4015738 said:
price seems fair for this?

... without a report from a reputable lab?
Hmm, I'd offer maybe 4 or 5 dollars.

Wait!
On second thought, I take that back.
I'd get better odds buying 4 or 5 lottery tickets than from anyone selling diamonds without lab reports you can believe.

gnc01

Rough_Rock
In all fairness I compared the D diamond to the GIA G diamond and there was a noticeable colour difference as the D diamond was much whiter. I think my eyes are more credible than the GIA in this regard. I'm not saying for sure it's a D diamond, but it's definitely in the colourless range since I compared it to a G diamond.

Personally, I prefer a GIA diamond, but he doesn't seem to have many on hand.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gnc01|1459902324|4015935 said:
I'm not saying for sure it's a D diamond, but it's definitely in the colourless range since I compared it to a G diamond.

This is the exact reason why we come here and shop for GIA/AGS diamonds. We don't want any uncertainty or any shady practice by the diamond industry. Around this carat weight, one color/clarity upgrade or downgrade equals a thousand dollar. That's why some cutters and vendors send their stones to non-reputable labs to rip off customers thousands of dollars. Premier vendors offer GIA/AGS stones only, because they are historically proven reliable and with good business ethics.

Cutters and vendors aren't fools. There is no reason to send a well cut D/SI2 to a non-reputable lab, making it an extremely hard sell and get dinged on profit in the process. Canadian vendors often say GIA/AGS is for Amercans, and Canadian diamonds are graded locally. A Complete BS. They are many CanadaMark diamonds that are GIA/AGS graded. Yes, I am from Canada as well and have been thru alot of BS that local vendors and jewellers throw at me. They are good vendors too.

If you accept such uncertainty and unanswered question and think the diamond is beautiful, go ahead. Seeing is believing and you saw the diamond.

Fair price for 1.25c D/SI2 with unknown proportions?? 7~8k canadian, because I can find similar stones with EGL certification (I am being very lenient). For me, even at 7k cad flat?? no way. There are plenty of beautiful stones that are also safer investment.

gnc01

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1459913396|4016012 said:
gnc01|1459902324|4015935 said:
I'm not saying for sure it's a D diamond, but it's definitely in the colourless range since I compared it to a G diamond.

This is the exact reason why we come here and shop for GIA/AGS diamonds. We don't want any uncertainty or any shady practice by the diamond industry. Around this carat weight, one color/clarity upgrade or downgrade equals a thousand dollar. That's why some cutters and vendors send their stones to non-reputable labs to rip off customers thousands of dollars. Premier vendors offer GIA/AGS stones only, because they are historically proven reliable and with good business ethics.

Cutters and vendors aren't fools. There is no reason to send a well cut D/SI2 to a non-reputable lab, making it an extremely hard sell and get dinged on profit in the process. Canadian vendors often say GIA/AGS is for Amercans, and Canadian diamonds are graded locally. A Complete BS. They are many CanadaMark diamonds that are GIA/AGS graded. Yes, I am from Canada as well and have been thru alot of BS that local vendors and jewellers throw at me. They are good vendors too.

If you accept such uncertainty and unanswered question and think the diamond is beautiful, go ahead. Seeing is believing and you saw the diamond.

Fair price for 1.25c D/SI2 with unknown proportions?? 7~8k canadian, because I can find similar stones with EGL certification (I am being very lenient). For me, even at 7k cad flat?? no way. There are plenty of beautiful stones that are also safer investment.

Can you steer me in the right direction for my budget? Thanks for your insight.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
R u from GTA?
What is your budget and minimum carat/color requirement?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results