shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this ring

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
It's from an etsy seller. Pristine jewellery. I just fell in love with the colour of the sapphire combined with the rose gold. YUM!

This is the specs on the stone:
Main Stone: Beautiful and bright, 7x5.5 oval, 1.14cts, eye clean, peach/apricot sapphire with slight color change.
Setting: 14k rose gold accented with SI2/SI3, GH diamonds.

I will have to ask the seller about treatment on the stone as I am sure it has some, but does not say on the specs.

What do you guys think about the setting? Do you feel it will lasts
Life time? What about the colour of the stone?

Thanks again guys

imageuploadedbytapatalk1389811786.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1389811802.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1389811832.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1389811841.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a little confused; I thought this is the actual ring for sale but at the end of the page, it states that the ring is made to order. What does that mean? Will you get the same 1.14 ct 7 x 5.5 mm sapphire as pictured or will there be a different one set in it? I would follow up to ask whether the SI2/SI3 diamond melees are white and clean to the naked eye (not black peppered or frozen spit looking).

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
Thanks I will for sure ask him those questions. Good catch, because I probably would not have noticed that.

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
So I talked to the store owners. And they have been amazing, they suggested to me a different setting as they feel the setting would be to delicate and not hold up since I am so active in the outdoors. I don't have time to baby my engagement rings. So she is walking me through doing a different setting, that encased the melees instead of claws,
But with the stone i like and the rose gold. It's all so complicated ha ha. Hold my hand please.

Oh and the sapphire is heat treated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HayleyMarie|1389828216|3593605 said:
So I talked to the store owners. And they have been amazing, they suggested to me a different setting as they feel the setting would be to delicate and not hold up since I am so active in the outdoors. I don't have time to baby my engagement rings. So she is walking me through doing a different setting, that encased the melees instead of claws,
But with the stone i like and the rose gold. It's all so complicated ha ha. Hold my hand please.

Oh and the sapphire is heat treated.

Heat treatment could mean the stone is diffused as well, which would make it far less valuable. It may also look browner in person too.

Truth be told, you can find untreated spinels that color, and they're affordable.

The setting looks like a Chinese made setting that you can find through many ebay dealers for fair prices.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thiiiiink PrecisionGems/PrecisionJewelry (two ebay stores, same people) disclose diffusion treatment... when known, at any rate. They don't have as much info on their gems as I personally would want, but they do cut most of them themselves I believe so they should be able to answer questions.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1389848860|3593841 said:
Heat treatment could mean the stone is diffused as well, which would make it far less valuable. It may also look browner in person too.

Truth be told, you can find untreated spinels that color, and they're affordable.

The setting looks like a Chinese made setting that you can find through many ebay dealers for fair prices.
Upon seeing the face shot, l too thought it could be a Chinese made setting... but the 2nd, profile pic doesn't look like any of the Chinese mountings I remember seeing & Pristine Jewelry pages say their accent diamonds are US purchases; that they either use "blank mountings from a U.S. manufacturer of quality pre-made settings" or will do custom work using CADs; and that the rings can be made up in platinum or palladium, not just gold metals.

Side question since I've not purchased a semi-mount or ring from one of the Chinese vendors like LOGR: does China, or some other indicator of the country of manufacture, appear on the inside of the band?

Pristine Gemstone Jewelry does also offer peach spinels in lieu of a heated sapphire (or morganite):
http://www.pristinegemstonejewelry....right-peach-oval-spinel-morganite-alternative

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would be surprised at how many premade settings are made in China, quite a bit. However, some are better than others, and just because its made in China, doesn't mean it's poor quality. I was just trying to give the OP other options if she likes that setting, because it is quite common. The diamond melee don't have to be sourced in China either, but they usually are.

I have a few settings very similar to that one by LOGR, and with the surprise diamond on the side too.

In any case, my biggest issue is with the stone. It's a really a very inexpensive sapphire if its that color, and if its diffused to, you're really paying mostly for the setting. It's a fair price for the setting, but I think she can do better for a stone. I would personally prefer a spinel that color. I like sapphires, but that color is not something I would buy in a sapphire, too brownish. JMO.

If treatment is something that really matters to the OP, I would just get a spinel and source my own premade setting for it. She may save a bit of money too.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1389885331|3593996 said:
You would be surprised at how many premade settings are made in China, quite a bit. However, some are better than others, and just because its made in China, doesn't mean it's poor quality.
I'm sorry if my post came across as casting aspersions upon China-made mountings/semi-mounts; I didn't intend that (it's because of the positive reviews here -- and the reasonable prices -- that I'm considering using one of them for my next project), rather, that Pristine Gemstone Jewelry isn't trying to pass off all of their merchandise as made in-house "from scratch", like sometimes seen.

Hayley Marie, I noticed that Pristine is based in Canada; are you a Canadian resident who would prefer to deal with fellow Canadians?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1389902518|3594170 said:
TL|1389885331|3593996 said:
You would be surprised at how many premade settings are made in China, quite a bit. However, some are better than others, and just because its made in China, doesn't mean it's poor quality.
I'm sorry if my post came across as casting aspersions upon China-made mountings/semi-mounts; I didn't intend that (it's because of the positive reviews here -- and the reasonable prices -- that I'm considering using one of them for my next project), rather, that Pristine Gemstone Jewelry isn't trying to pass off all of their merchandise as made in-house "from scratch", like sometimes seen.

Hayley Marie, I noticed that Pristine is based in Canada; are you a Canadian resident who would prefer to deal with fellow Canadians?

Molly,
No need to apologize. I was just providing an FYI. Thanks. :))

A bright malaya garnet would also have a similar look to the peach sapphire. Just a thought.

Here's a supernova oval malaya garnet sitting atop a rose gold setting similar to the one in this thread.
TLLOGRMalaya3.JPG

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for all your help. My one issue with using a spinel is the durability of the stone. This is going to be an e ring. Worn mostly every day.

Molly- I would prefer dealing with other Canadians yes.

Originally I wanted a ruby, but u am having a really hard time finding what I want in the price I like.

P.s if I go with pristine they will be custom making me a ring with CAD. Design a band more durable with less prongs and bezel the stone instead of prongs and there will be no melees going down the band.

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
They do have this ruby. But it is beryllium treated. I have no issues with treated stones as long as they last. I also have no issues upgrading a stone later down the line.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HayleyMarie|1389915589|3594277 said:
Thanks guys for all your help. My one issue with using a spinel is the durability of the stone. This is going to be an e ring. Worn mostly every day.

Molly- I would prefer dealing with other Canadians yes.

Originally I wanted a ruby, but u am having a really hard time finding what I want in the price I like.

P.s if I go with pristine they will be custom making me a ring with CAD. Design a band more durable with less prongs and bezel the stone instead of prongs and there will be no melees going down the band.

Spinel is a very durable stone. While not as hard as sapphire, even sapphire will chip if you're not careful with it. I wear a spinel every single day and it looks great. I don't wear it while I'm sleeping, doing housework or chores that make me tend to bang my hands, but other than that, it's a great gem. I would do the same with a sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HayleyMarie|1389915912|3594282 said:
They do have this ruby. But it is beryllium treated. I have no issues with treated stones as long as they last. I also have no issues upgrading a stone later down the line.

I heard that sapphires and rubies that are heated to the high temps necessary for be-treatment are not as durable as their untreated cousins. The good thing is that if it does chip, you can easily replace it with another, since they're not too expensive.

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
T L said:
HayleyMarie|1389915912|3594282 said:

I heard that sapphires and rubies that are heated to the high temps necessary for be-treatment are not as durable as their untreated cousins. The good thing is that if it does chip, you can easily replace it with another, since they're not too expensive.

That's the plan. I am hoping that later down the line I can upgrade to an untreated ruby.

I have decided to go with pristine jewellers They have been nothing but helpful and their reviews and awesome. They will be custom making me a ring to fit the ruby I have chosen and make it fit my style and make it more durable. Eekk I am super excited and then the proposal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results