shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this diamond?

diamondringlady

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I recently purchased a diamond from Whiteflash for about $36k. Still have not received it and would like your opinions on it. I am a bit concerned about the color as it is I color. However, from the videos I have seen, it did not seem too different to me than the H colored ones (initially, H was the lowest color I wanted). Any thoughts? Below are the videos of the diamond and a side-by-side with two H colors.

Diamond, I color, SI1, ACA, 2.9 carat https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4429335.htm
Side-by-side with two H, VS2 ACA diamonds

Thank you!

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Whether the I color is going to be a concern for you depends on your color sensitivity and if your dislike for tint in a diamond (some people see if and don't dislike it).

Well cut diamonds tend to face up white because of their sparkle, the side profile view is actually where you would see the tint the most.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You will have to see it in person and decide what you like!

It almost appears to have a brownish tint as opposed to yellow, so I actually prefer it to the H to the right which almost looks like a "low" H and is larger so is showing more body color to me compared to the far left

the H on the far left to me looks the whitest for sure, but it may not be a meaningful difference to you

I'd rather brown leaning than yellow, but I am not a fan of yellow personally (not that ANY of these stones are yellow or brown...I am talking about hue)

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I color is going to be an I color no matter what cut. It will face up less bright than an H color, especially in this size of almost 3ct. Only you know if you are going to be ok with it. In the actual brilliance picture on WF site, it looks as if it had a brown-ish tint to it. I wish we could see the color upside down compared to similarly sized H stones.

diamondringlady

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I had not noticed the brown tint/hue and am a bit worried. I have asked WF for a video of them upside down and will share when I get it.

Also, someone had mentioned that this diamond looks more like a J color. Anyone here gets that?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I had not noticed the brown tint/hue and am a bit worried. I have asked WF for a video of them upside down and will share when I get it.

Also, someone had mentioned that this diamond looks more like a J color. Anyone here gets that?

I wouldn't worry. I really think you should see it in person before you decide. It is the only way to know. I think the diamond looks its color grade, no more, no less. For instance, I was in the opposite scenario and thought I would love lower-colored diamonds and after living with one, realized...nope. Not for me.

I know people talk about how diamonds can look shades lighter or darker depending on cut and whatnot, but I just don't think that is true.

A well-cut diamond will simply have more beautiful light return - it has no impact on the literal color of the diamond. And this diamond has an outstanding cut and may just knock your socks off.

I think brown versus yellow is a good thing personally. I have seen very few diamonds with a brown tint in person and they were all antique cuts, but I actually think they look less "ivory" than yellowish-toned diamonds like the H on the right. It is just an undertone, this is not a brown diamond.

There is an interesting piece on the Victor Canera website about this very phenomenon and the benefit of a brown undertone: https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/diamond-color-undertones

Now if you detest anything even slightly brown and would prefer a yellow undertone, it is a totally personal preference. But I would much prefer brown. The tint will bother you, or it won't.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above that the I stone has a more brownish leaning tint as opposed to yellow. In the face up video, if you focus more towards the edge of the diamond and compare the it with the two H stones beside it, you may notice this. Once you get the video of the stones upside down it should be easier to tell.

I agree with @Cerulean that brown vs yellow tint is not necessarily better or worse but rather a personal preference.

If someone is very color sensitive and bothered by any tint, it is probably best to go for a colorless diamond. However, this isn't always practical as many would prefer to have a larger well cut diamond than a smaller colorless diamond. Some people who are color sensitive may be ok with sacrificing size a bit for a higher color (I'm in this camp). There is no right or wrong though, it is really about personal preference.

In the meantime, here is a video comparing diamond color that you might find useful:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If there is one thing that I would classify as a negative against AGS, then it would be their close but not quite as strict and consistent on color grading as GIA. Not saying that AGS is terrible at grading color by any stretch, just saying that they seem to come close (and probably closer than any other grading lab) to GIA, but they have their moments...I'm saying this while keeping in mind that even the same grading lab could grade the same diamond differently, depending on the set(s) of eyes on it the day it was put through the wringer.

Here are the side views of all three diamonds in the video:

2.547 H VS2 (appears to lean yellow)
2547 H VS2.png

2.916 I SI1 (appears to lean brown/yellow-brown; "champagne" if it were more saturated to be a fancy color grade, perhaps)
2916 I SI1.png

3.092 H VS2 (appears to lean yellow)
3092 H VS2.png

diamondringlady

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't worry. I really think you should see it in person before you decide. It is the only way to know. I think the diamond looks its color grade, no more, no less. For instance, I was in the opposite scenario and thought I would love lower-colored diamonds and after living with one, realized...nope. Not for me.

I know people talk about how diamonds can look shades lighter or darker depending on cut and whatnot, but I just don't think that is true.

A well-cut diamond will simply have more beautiful light return - it has no impact on the literal color of the diamond. And this diamond has an outstanding cut and may just knock your socks off.

I think brown versus yellow is a good thing personally. I have seen very few diamonds with a brown tint in person and they were all antique cuts, but I actually think they look less "ivory" than yellowish-toned diamonds like the H on the right. It is just an undertone, this is not a brown diamond.

There is an interesting piece on the Victor Canera website about this very phenomenon and the benefit of a brown undertone: https://www.victorcanera.com/blog/diamond-color-undertones

Now if you detest anything even slightly brown and would prefer a yellow undertone, it is a totally personal preference. But I would much prefer brown. The tint will bother you, or it won't.

Thanks a bunch!

I do really like it in the video and I hope it is better in person. I had an H before but really wanted to get a bigger and nicer cut while staying under $40k. As long as it does not appear much less white than the H I will be fine. I also have my rings dipped in lotion several times a day as I like to mostirize my hands quite a bit, so I think it will be well-coated in lotion to see much of a color from the side :).

My plan is to upgrade to at least a G in a few years, so there's that to look forward to :).

diamondringlady

Rough_Rock
One more question since this group seems to be highly informed... The diamond will be set on a six prong, solitaire, platinum setting. The person who assisted me said that it should not be a problem, unless I am wearing a higher color side-by-side. What are your thoughts on it?

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
One more question since this group seems to be highly informed... The diamond will be set on a six prong, solitaire, platinum setting. The person who assisted me said that it should not be a problem, unless I am wearing a higher color side-by-side. What are your thoughts on it?

in my opinion platinum is a fine choice. ive owned both H and I and can barely tell the difference, in person and on the hand they look quite white.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have my rings dipped in lotion several times a day as I like to mostirize my hands quite a bit, so I think it will be well-coated in lotion to see much of a color from the side :).

Ooh that hurts my heart. :(

diamondringlady

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I recently purchased a diamond from Whiteflash for about $36k. Still have not received it and would like your opinions on it. I am a bit concerned about the color as it is I color. However, from the videos I have seen, it did not seem too different to me than the H colored ones (initially, H was the lowest color I wanted). Any thoughts? Below are the videos of the diamond and a side-by-side with two H colors.

Diamond, I color, SI1, ACA, 2.9 carat https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4429335.htm
Side-by-side with two H, VS2 ACA diamonds

Thank you!

Update: I finally received the ring and love it! I think my husband likes it more than me :). Thanks to all for the advice. Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product (2.9 carat, I, SI2, ACA on a size 6 finger). 20211116_142446.jpg 20211117_094904.jpg

Searchingforering

Rough_Rock
WOW! I love your ring and the ratio of the diamond is perfect on your finger! Congratulations! Do you see the tint of the 'I' in the diamond? How is the I color working for you?

diamondringlady

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I love the ring. The pictures do not do it justice. I do not notice any tint, brown or yellow. I do like the slightly warmer color as I think I enjoy the depth of it. Could be that I am not sensitive to color, though I am super picky and have seen at least one ring with really yellow tint that bothered me.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have had a K and a L set in white gold and it was fine

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results