shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this diamond

parkour

Rough_Rock
Hi PS crew,

Can I get opinion on this diamond? It's out of the PS ideal proportions, but HCA = 0.9, and wondering if it's worth considering with these proportions. No ASET image, but H&A look good.
printimages.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post images you have and/or video?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Likely to be returning more white light than fire given depth and table are close to 60/60

Not true hearts and arrows given large clefts in the hearts, but otherwise not too shabby for a run of the mill GIA XXX

parkour

Rough_Rock
Likely to be returning more white light than fire given depth and table are close to 60/60

Not true hearts and arrows given large clefts in the hearts, but otherwise not too shabby for a run of the mill GIA XXX

Thanks for the feedback, which hearts are you referring to that are clefted?
Is return of white light bad or does returning fire make it look more brilliant?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback, which hearts are you referring to that are clefted?
Is return of white light bad or does returning fire make it look more brilliant?

C9513F36-1453-4034-ABB5-FCACEF7BCF14.jpeg

Re white light return, that’s what I term brilliance. Fire is the multi coloured flashes you get as you move the stone around in the light.

I’m not saying that more brilliance is bad, it’s a different look. That’s all. Some people like more white light return, others prefer a balance between fire and brilliance and others prefer more fire.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi @parkour

You’ve received some excellent advice here.
I think what would make a difference here is whether this diamond is being marketed to you as a true hearts and arrows cut diamond? If it is then, a deeper analysis into the optical symmetry scope images is warranted.
It takes a deliberate strategy in the planning stages of a rough diamond and super cut precision to get a true hearts and arrows stone. This stone doesn’t seem like it was planned to be a h&a cut.

Technically, a diamond can still have a very high level of optical symmetry, (just not hearts and arrows optical symmetry) while having clefts in the hearts. The clefts could be due to high lower girdle half facets. I can show how this can happen to an otherwise perfect diamond on DiamondCalc.

A bigger area of concern to me s the huge variance in the thickness of the hearts. This tells you that there is pavilion facet asymmetry and variance. We can tell that there is assymetry here and not due to the tilt of the diamond facing the camera because the hearts at the 4:30 position marked in pink are even while the rest are off. A tilt would cause all the hearts, not just a single one, to be slightly off in one direction. You have to keep in mind that it takes four pavilion main facets, six pavilion half facets and two crown facets to create ONE complete heart pattern. If these aren’t tuned to each other something will be off in the scope image…
1.jpg

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results