shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this diamond, please LVVS2

truong81

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Can I get some honest opinion on this diamond. I also have a video but i'm not sure how to upload it. TIA. LVVS image 1.JPEG LVVS image 2.JPG LVVS GIA 1.PNG LVVS GIA 2.PNG

mission1

Shiny_Rock
It's a very shallow crown combined with a steep pavillion - the general guide on here seems to be to look for a crown angle of 34-35% and pavillion angle of 40.6-41%. Have you tried putting it through the HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor) on here?

It has quite a strong yellow tint in the picture, but it's a personal choice. Have you bought it, or just thinking about it?

Last edited:

truong81

Rough_Rock
mission1 - thanks for your reply. I would have to say I am not that very educated when it comes to reading the proportions.

I currently have a I color center stone and this being an L I can def see the yellow tint from the side. I honestly just don't know if the yellow would bother me in the long run. Cause from top down it looks so pretty.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
It perhaps depends partly on the setting - i.e. how much of the pavillion you'll be able to see.

I've put it through the HCA - doesnt get the highest scores:

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 16.10.06.png

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I cant comment on the angles and all that, but I can comment on the color. I have an L. Before it was set I never saw any yellow tint to it. I wore it in a ring holder for a week in all types of light and it never looked yellow. Now it is set in a fairly low platinum setting and I occasionally see the yellow tint. Not all the time, but it's not "never" like it was before it was set. It really doesnt bother me at all, I like the warmth, it's so lively and sparkles like crazy, but only you can decide if it will bother you.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably the easiest way to upload a video is to utilize an existing Gmail account (or create a new one) and then upload to YouTube. Once posted, provide a link here for us to review.

FYI, if you currently have an account, be warned that certain account information may be viewable.

In regards to the stone I think you have a few different things to consider. First is the color, and second is the cut quality.

You seem uncertain of the color. While L may not be school bus yellow, it does have enough of a tint that most people will notice it. Rather or not you like that is a personal decision -- there isn't a right or wrong answer, it just boils down to what you and/or the wearer desires & finds attractive. Also, as pointed out, we view color through the body/pavilion of the stone so the more exposed the pavilion is in the setting the more body & tint you are likely to see.

If you are trying to find a "white" stone, then an L will likely have too much tint to satisfy that desire.

Also, keep in mind that color grade are somewhat subjective in the fact they are graded by humans and that there can be ranges, meaning you can get a high L that may appear almost K or possibly a low L that appears almost M. Additionally the lower in the color scale we go, the wider those ranges get so a D will have very little range, whereas L will have considerably more range/variation.

The second element is cut quality. By looking at the proportions, we can determine it has a shallow crown and overly steep pavilion with a shallow depth. The result is a stone that looks bigger for it's weight than it really should. This is good from a size perspective but can be bad from a performance perspective as the stone will be more susceptible to obstruction. These type of stones are sometimes preferred for earrings or pendants as such.

More worrisome is the overly steep 41.8 pavilion. Once you cross the 41.2 line, things get a little wonky. An ASET or idealscope will almost certainly reveal this stone has some leakage.

I would agree the stone is a nice size, the color is interesting and it's very clear. Unfortunately I would want to find a stone for you that has better proportions and will perform better. Sadly, GIA classifies many stones as "excellent" cut, but they have made the acceptable criterion so large that many of the stones listed as such are very far from excellent.

Is there a particular budget and stone or vendor preference you have in mind so that we may present you some alternatives?

CaptureLVVS2.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case you are wondering how cut matters, look at this video. Both stones are nearly the same size but one is poorly cut and the other is well cut. Notice how one magically shrinks when it's not flooded with light.

Well cut stones not only sparkle more, but they also return light edge to edge which makes the stone look brighter and larger.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love warm colored stones, so I think the color is great (As long as you are 100% aware of the fact that an L won't be "white white"), but the cut would rule it out for me. It is not very well cut, and you won't be getting great light performance compared to a better cut stone.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutter did the absolute bare minimum to achieve GIA XXX and 3.0x carat weight, by leaving crown angle at 31.5 and pavilion angle at 41.8. It was calculated and deliberately done to fool potential buyers. I do not like stones like this.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flat top with a deep pavilion is not a good combo. :knockout:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutter did the absolute bare minimum to achieve GIA XXX and 3.0x carat weight, by leaving crown angle at 31.5 and pavilion angle at 41.8. It was calculated and deliberately done to fool potential buyers. I do not like stones like this.

Amen....cut for maximum $$ and not beauty....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results