shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on these GCAL 8x brilliant rounds

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Looking to get my first lab diamond for my proposal. Been reading quite a bit about selecting a diamond, especially on pricescope, and narrowed my selection to GCAL 8x since they provide really nice imagery, and they seem to have a better price compared to other vendors providing ASET images (at least on Adiamor & Ritani)

Looking for the super ideal, so my preference is towards the best cut. Willing to compromise on the clarity and color in hopes that the cut will compensate.

The 1.96 I threw in there cause I was wondering if its too good of a deal to pass up :)

How would you rate these in terms of cut and clarity and which would you pick or pass on? They're all CVD

ChoiceCarrotColorClarityNon-sale Price (USD)Grading Report
11.28GVS21290
21.26GVS11500
31.22EVS11311
41.96GVS21778

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 1.28 and 1.96

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Yes me too :) I might have to pick both up and return the one I like least, both seem to be really good deals

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, @wizardofdiamondoz !
Are you open to an extremely well cut and proportioned diamond graded by GIA or IGI, if the price was right?
I'm seeing the 1.96 at Ritani for just under $1800...is that your budget cap for just the loose diamond?

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Hi DejaWiz! And thanks for the welcome :)

I wanted to keep it to GCAL 8x since they provide all the imagery. GIA and IGI is alright, but from what I can tell, you have to make your decision off of proportions and the 3d video from the vendor, and there's probably no guarantee of it being a super ideal cut with H&A and good brightness until I see it in person (trying to order online only).

I did order an ASET scope to evaluate whatever I select once I receive it however, so maybe the GCAL 8x is overkill if I can just return whatever IGI and GIA stones I receive after using it? What do you think?

Yup, my budget is $1200-$2000 (looking for up 1.25 - 2ct)

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi DejaWiz! And thanks for the welcome :)

I wanted to keep it to GCAL 8x since they provide all the imagery. GIA and IGI is alright, but from what I can tell, you have to make your decision off of proportions and the 3d video from the vendor, and there's probably no guarantee of it being a super ideal cut with H&A and good brightness until I see it in person (trying to order online only).

I did order an ASET scope to evaluate whatever I select once I receive it however, so maybe the GCAL 8x is overkill if I can just return whatever IGI and GIA stones I receive after using it? What do you think?

Yup, my budget is $1200-$2000 (looking for up 1.25 - 2ct)

Here's an HPHT with no blue nuance:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Another HPHT:

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I like the 1.4 and the 1.65. Would you say to avoid CVD if budget permits? And would it be due to risk of brown undertone and stria? (still reading quite a bit on this )

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I like the 1.4 and the 1.65. Would you say to avoid CVD if budget permits? And would it be due to risk of brown undertone and stria? (still reading quite a bit on this )

Yes, yes, and yes...as long as the HPHT material is of higher quality and presents no nuanced hues, clouding, or graining.

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Adiamor doesn’t allow for diamond comparisons within their 30 day window, but they were nice enough to bring the stones in and send me videos.

I think it’s splitting hairs at this point and I’m having a hard time deciding. Is there anything apart from color and size to consider here? Any red flags with either?

Only thing I’m concerned about is the dark spot on the table in the brightness gcal image for the 1.4C one, not sure if that would put the 1.6 as the more brilliant.

Would love any thoughts on what you think is better!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ang47EdSvEMmqTt_6C68AwlQSG8xKOu/view?usp=drive_web
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L0qnptRbe9Z1Ln46sL8CMLqFzZzpkrwZ/view?usp=drive_web
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oyW1Hm3i4JNQcVAuu-6nhWnx1lJM29i0/view?usp=drive_web

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
I found this as a really good resource to understand the differences between a GCaL 8x photographs to ASETs and IS.

I’m probably over thinking the dark spot in the brightness image of the 1.4C, it’ll probably show up as red or light red in an ASET scope which I’ve ordered to double check.

Probably leaning towards the 1.4 for the better color and the $300 cheaper price, but I’ll sleep on it.

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Went with the larger one, I think going for bigger will be slightly less of a regret than the color (and I’m only planning on buying this diamond once haha).

Excited to get it and look at it through my asset scope! Will post the results, as I’m sure other pricescopers may be curious how the Gcal images map to ASET.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Went with the larger one, I think going for bigger will be slightly less of a regret than the color (and I’m only planning on buying this diamond once haha).

Excited to get it and look at it through my asset scope! Will post the results, as I’m sure other pricescopers may be curious how the Gcal images map to ASET.

I hope you will be super happy with the 1.65 and will anxiously await your thoughts and impressions after you see it and assess it with your ASET scope!

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Took a couple ASET pics with different exposures, best I could but let me know if I should retake.

Looks pretty good to my eyes and seems to sparkle pretty well IRL. Let me know what you think! :) IMG_4924.jpeg IMG_4920.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Took a couple ASET pics with different exposures, best I could but let me know if I should retake.

Looks pretty good to my eyes and seems to sparkle pretty well IRL. Let me know what you think! :) IMG_4924.jpeg IMG_4920.jpeg

Great pictures - you're alignment is dead-on!
Any videos for us anxiously waiting to see what you see? :)

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
thank you and glad to hear it! I’ll take some videos in different lighting conditions and post here (when my girlfriend isn’t around :) )

wizardofdiamondoz

Rough_Rock
Glad to hear you folks think the same. Thank you so much @DejaWiz for helping me find it :mrgreen2:

I can now tell whether a diamond has been grown via CVD at this point just by looking at a video :ugeek:, glad you steered me towards HPHT (not to say there aren't good CVDs).

Hopefully I'll be able to make use of my newly found knowledge and ASET scope once again at some point in the future to help a friend with a purchase (or another piece for my GF :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results