shape
carat
color
clarity

OPINION ON SIZING BEADS ?

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

wondering if sizing beads are a good idea for my engagement ring ? i find that it's been rotating a lot since the weather's turned chilly... one more thing that i have noticed is that the shank of the ring being a mere 1.8mm, it's been rotating even when i am in a warm room.

are sizing beads a solution to this? if so, is there a certain way that the beads should locate inside the shank, so that my finger doesn't feel irritated? what is a fair price to pay a jeweler for this?

i am very new to this so any advice would be much appreciated !! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ring just too big? If it spins when warm, maybe it should be sized down a half size or something? Since you might be sending it back for the one stone, maybe they could do something with sizing then. I know folks have had the beads put in especially when their knuckle is larger than their finger but this surely isn't the case with you. I'd try to get to a jeweler to check your finger size and the ring size - people have ordered a certain size ring only to find out it's a bit off that size when they get it. It would be better to have the ring fit you properly than have to worry with sizing beads!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had sizing beads but that was because my knuckles are bigger than my finger. It took a little while to get used to the beads but after I while I didn't notice them anymore.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie said:
I had sizing beads but that was because my knuckles are bigger than my finger. It took a little while to get used to the beads but after I while I didn't notice them anymore.

I think if you have fingers like Masie's, I think sizing beads would work well. I have opposite fingers (knuckle is smaller than the flesh, perhaps a sign that I am chubby all over) so I wear 0.25 smaller than what would be comfortable. This makes them slightly uncomfortable when I have too much salt, or if it's super sticky outside. :(sad But, no spin even in the winter! :D

My vote: If you have fingers like mine, I'd size down a smidge. If you have fingers like Masie's, beads.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock

LGK

Ideal_Rock
antelope1 said:
Maisie said:

I think if you have fingers like Masie's, I think sizing beads would work well. I have opposite fingers (knuckle is smaller than the flesh, perhaps a sign that I am chubby all over) so I wear 0.25 smaller than what would be comfortable. This makes them slightly uncomfortable when I have too much salt, or if it's super sticky outside. :(sad But, no spin even in the winter! :D

My vote: If you have fingers like mine, I'd size down a smidge. If you have fingers like Masie's, beads.
Actually I have the boneless type fingers too (lol, yes, they're chubby right now but even when I was really thin I still had no knuckles- just the way my hands are). And I wear a ring with very large sizing beads and I love it. I hate wearing my rings too tight and the beads are great for that- they make it fit a much larger range of sizes, it only spins when I'm super cold and the ring itself is way too big for me. My ring was antique and not possible to size, and was at least 3 sizes too large, so the only thing to do was put huge sizing beads in it. I don't even feel them at all. I'd totally recommend them.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have started putting them in all my rings - I do love them. you can try them/shave them down a bit, and even remove them if they don't work - so it's not a big deal. Again, I love them. Some of my rings have the 2 beads as pictured, but 3 of my rings have just one bead at the middle of the bottom - it works and I know this is kinda dumb, but it looks nicer to me when they are sitting in a dish etc.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, also, I have abnormally short pinkies -- the pinkie joint hits right where the ring goes on my ring finger so shaking my left hand is excruciatingly painful for that poor pinkie -- should have mentioned that too. For my freak hands, I think any additional band diameter would drive me nuts, which is why I've opted for sizing smaller rather than beads...although, when I get preggers and have to size it, maybe I will add the beads since it will be hard to size down after...assuming that I shrink. Argh.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to consider depending on how much of a size adjustment you need is the "horse shoe" insert, I have attached a pic of the one that I have on my ring. I love it, it prevents spinning and even when my fingers bloat with warm weather or salt, the ring is not uncomfortable.

hs.sizer.0000001.jpg

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
poshpepper -- is the horseshoe removable? Or permanent?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
antelope1 said:
poshpepper -- is the horseshoe removable? Or permanent?

It is soldered to the inside of the shank, but the jeweler would be able to remove it.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
wow, thankyou so much for all your input, all very helpful, thankyou so much ! :wavey:

the shank of my ring measures a mere 1.8mm , it's super thin ! would beads / horseshoe be a problem due to the super thin width ?

or should i go with MGR's idea to have the jeweler resize it by a tiny tiny bit (is it possible to size down less than 1/4 size?) ?? :confused:

the ring gets through the knuckle fairly easily (definitely doesn't need to be rotated to go through the knuckle, a mere nudge is enough) ... in this case, i just need the ring to either be a tiny smidge smaller (not sure if it is possible to size down that little) ?

i'm just super scared that they would take too much out and i'll end up with a ring that is too small ! :errrr:

i do have to admit that when i had my 3-stone ring, even through the size was exactly the same as my current solitaire ring, the band was 2.5mm at the base that tapered off to 1.8mm... also, the 3-stones together with a lower setting distributed the weight more east-west, so my ring never rotated ... i believe that the rotation on this ring is due to the current higher setting, solitaire head (top heavy), and a very thin 1.8mm band...

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the bottom of my ER is a thin thin thin as can be and my jeweler still managed to get a small bead there which is just enough to keep the ring from spinning.

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
I have the same finger issue as Maisie - big knuckles tiny fingers. My original size was 3.5 but couldn't fit my rings over my knuckle especially in the summer. I had sizing bar placed in my new ring which was a size 4. It stops it from spinning and I didn't notice it at all.

IMG_2682.JPG

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
I chose to design and get the my Fiance's ring without her input.
I was told she has the same ring size as her best friend, so I designed it to that size.

Apparently, their finger sizes have changed over the years.

My Fiance has tiny knuckles as well.

We opted for sizing beads and SHE LOVES THEM!
It prevents the ring from turning (she also has a Euro Shank)
She is never concerned that it will come of in warmer or cooler temperature. She is also confident it won't come off if her hand gets wet.

Hers are slightly different than Agipitor had (above pic). Agipitor has hers placed at 4 and 8 o'clock.

The fiance's are at 5 and 7 o'clock which makes them snug into the fleshy bottom part of her finger.

I'll look to see if I have some pics and post them.

april4

Rough_Rock
I have large sizing beads in a ring I never take off. Now that I'm used to them, I don't notice them at all. My knuckle is a lot larger than the rest of my finger. I don't remember the csot (and it's sterling anyway), but they're certainly doing their job.

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
frankiextah|1288842835| said:
wow, thankyou so much for all your input, all very helpful, thankyou so much ! :wavey:

the shank of my ring measures a mere 1.8mm , it's super thin ! would beads / horseshoe be a problem due to the super thin width ?

or should i go with MGR's idea to have the jeweler resize it by a tiny tiny bit (is it possible to size down less than 1/4 size?) ?? :confused:

the ring gets through the knuckle fairly easily (definitely doesn't need to be rotated to go through the knuckle, a mere nudge is enough) ... in this case, i just need the ring to either be a tiny smidge smaller (not sure if it is possible to size down that little) ?

i'm just super scared that they would take too much out and i'll end up with a ring that is too small ! :errrr:

i do have to admit that when i had my 3-stone ring, even through the size was exactly the same as my current solitaire ring, the band was 2.5mm at the base that tapered off to 1.8mm... also, the 3-stones together with a lower setting distributed the weight more east-west, so my ring never rotated ... i believe that the rotation on this ring is due to the current higher setting, solitaire head (top heavy), and a very thin 1.8mm band...

As you can see from the previous posts, beads are a great option. However, it seems from your situation that a downsizing would be all you need. You don't have to go a whole 1/2 size smaller, they can size in 1/4 increments as well. So just measure your ring, then measure your finger and see the exact difference. No need to be afraid!!!!! :o

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
thankyou so much for everyone's input !! it's all been really really helpful ! :razz:

actually, i don't exactly know what size my newly re-set ring is, i knew i gave the jeweler's instruction as TIGHT 5 (so logically this would mean somewhere between 4.75-5) ... i never had the finished product measured, so it is a really good point that i should bring my ring to the store and see if it's ACTUALLY the precise size.

One of the melee diamonds in the setting needs to be replaced anyway, so i will have the ring sized and make a decision whether or not to have the jeweler size it a tiny smidge smaller or not when i go to the store ...

since the adjustment will be so tiny, i would be worried if they would accidentally cut out too much metal and turning it into size 4.75, which would be quite tight in this case. sorry i'm just being a bit paranoid !

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
As mentioned earlier - here is a pic of my Fiance's sizing beads. I thought they were closer together, I guess not. Apparently the Fiance doesn't take her ring off long enough for me to look at it :shock:

Sorry for the poor quality, we don't live together and she sent it from her phone cam.

For what it's worth, when her ring didn't fit perfectly, I was told be several sources: If you "don't have to" cut your ring DON'T!

sizing beads.JPG

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
thankyou so much again everyone who had given me advice, support and photos ...

i have news !

just dropped off my ring at Michael C Fina today and they will fedex it overnight to Michael B. I had my SA measure the exact size of the ring and turns out that it is a true size 5, not the tight 5 that i had originally requested. :angryfire: bad melee diamond (in my other thread) and wrong size... aarrgh. So they will size it down 1/8 size for me while the ring is at their studio being fixed. i'm just hoping and praying that they don't cut too much metal out making the ring too small !!! :errrr:

the ring will be returned to Michael C Fina this Saturday and i can pick it up locally that afternoon !

so another countdown begins .... 5 days to go.... wish me luck ! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results