shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Sapphire Quality/Price

James0012

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I recently came across your discussion board and was extremely impressed with the knowledge some of you have regarding gem stones. I am looking to purchase a blue sapphire that is unheated/treated for an engagement ring. After many hours of searching online I have come across the following sapphire and I would like a few opinions on the quality, price, etc. I know that it can be hard to judge just seeing a photograph but any help you would appreciated. Thanks in advance. Following is a picture taking with a cell phone of the sapphire:

img_20130626_095502.jpg

Image sent from dealer:

fm_0.jpg

Per GIA cert: Weight: 1.14 carat, Measurement: 7.11 X 5.12 X 2.93mm, Cutting Style: Step cut,Treatment: NTE (no indications of heating)|

Per UGL cert (I know you guys don't like UGL but I thought I would post as much info as possible): Color: Intense, Clarity: FL, Enhancements: None, Origin: Ceylon

The price for this stone is approximately $2000. Any opinion you may have is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James,
Are you looking specifically for a rectangular step cut? The colour is somewhat above average, a medium blue with a possibly slight green modifier. As you said, there's no way to be sure from looking at a single picture which I have no idea whether it is representative of the sapphire or not. Saturation, whilst good, is far from intense. I suspect a slight window from the shallowness of the stone's measurements. How is the colour indoors, which is the real test, in my opinion? I cannot tell enough from the picture to judge the evenness of colour, clarity and cut.

James0012

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion, its a big help. As far as shape or cut I am looking for a rectangular step cut or octagonal. I also found this one which is - Weight 1.58 Ct., Dimension (mm) :7.87X5.81X3.30, Unheated/treated - according to GIC FL, Vivd according to UGL. Price is $3500

sapphire1_6.jpg

Again your professional opinion would be appreciated, thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is also slightly shallow but the small window is likely to be not as easily seen due to the darker tone. Did you mean GIA, rather than GIC? I am not a professional, just someone who loves coloured stones very much. What makes sapphires difficult to evaluate from the vendor's picture is the lack of background reference. With the stark white background, there is no way to gauge the colour accuracy, lighting condition and more. In addition, sapphires always colour shift indoors, so I do not know if it will black out, turn greyish or purplish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results