shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Round Brillant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JoJo

Rough_Rock
1.67 Carat, measurements are 7.72 - 7.78 * 4.52 MM' /Depth - 58.3% /Table - 63%
Girdle - Thin to medium
Cutlet - Small
Clarity - VS1
Color - I
polish - Good
Symmetry - Fair
I took these straight from the GIA Papers - I have no idea what most of them mean. Can you please tell me if this is a nice diamond and if the I color is acceptable to put in a platinum setting. Thanks so much!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi JoJo,Shallow depth (58%) and large table (63%) can be dangerous because of fish-eye effect. Pay special attention to it: www.pricescope.com/tutor_fisheye.asp Check out StevL and Garry opinions on I color in this thread: www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000406.html I think you can ask your jeweler to show you different colors (e.g. F, G and I) in platinum settings so you could decide for yourself.In order to make knowledgeable decision you need to do some homework and be familiar with the terms of the grading reports. You might want to start with the tutorial here: www.pricescope.com/tutorial.asp . If you jeweler could provide Sarin measurements for the diamond it would also help a lot with evaluating the cut quality.And it is always a good idea to showing the diamond to an independent gemologist/appraiser.Good luck and keep us posted
smile.gif

JoJo

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the info - I have now starred at this diamond looking for the fish eyed effect - is it possible that it would not occur in this diamond? Or maybe I am not looking correctly? Thanks again!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Fisheye is visible with large tables and shallow pavilions.This diamond has shallow depth but not necessary shallow pavilion. It might have shallow crown instead.For example, for the proportions above and pavilion angle = 40.8 degree, girdle reflection should be visible at 4.7 degree tilt. This is almost fisheyeIf pavilion angle is 41.5 degree then 7.7 degree tilt required to see the girdle reflection. This is not a fisheye.If you could get crown and pavilion angles (Sarin or Ogi Megascope measurements) it would help to tell.If you don't see the reflection of the girdle in face-up or slightly tilted position then this is not a fisheye.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Opinion and advice from a novice:I couldn't even spell AGS or GIA a few short weeks ago. Now I can. I am not an expert but I know what to look for, what questions to ask, and most importantly I know when I am being told something by a seller that is in the best interests of that seller.The %'s and angles can be perplexing at first, but you will get experts responding on this forum and I would invest the time in reading what is suggested. You will gain knowledge, confidence, and you will know what you own once you buy it and you will not have been cheated in price or shorted in a quality diamond. Go to some of the sites you will find in these posts and in a few hours you will see what I mean.Stongly advise you not buy anything until you give this a shot. It worked for me. My $.02.The Rodentman

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another suggestion:Invest $20 in an Ideal Scope. It takes less than a week to receive in the mail. (There's a link on the main forum page). I peek at a few diamonds through this will get your mind going and be a real education.The Rodentman

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No, the Eightstar is still out for mounting. Wife didn't want to replace the original engagement diamond from 1976 so I have the Eightstar coming back in a yellow gold setting for The Rodentman. My appraiser will take digital photos and I'll try to get the file for posting. Nothing fancy or custom. It's simple. The Rodentman

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
That would be great Rodentman!If you could get digital pictures, simply email them to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results