shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on M color diamond

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, there's currently an M color diamond on BGD website which I am interested in for a RHR. Contemporary design most probably, no halo, no side stones if I get an M center. But how do M color behave IRL in most lighting conditions? Can anyone with an M pls share their experience? I know most M lovers on this site have old cuts but pls post away even though old cut M and new cut M might behave quite differently. Thank you.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't have an M but I have recently bought a pair of MRB N's which is one grade down.

Mine are perfectly cut and very bright and sparkly but they are tinted yellow - which is fine because I have set them with a copper tourmaline and have an "autumn" ring which is exactly what I wanted.

In almost all lights they are varying shades of yellow from very pale to quite deep. Rarely are they white but every now and then they surprise me!

Don't buy an M thinking you wont see the tint, because I'm fairly sure you will - almost all the time - beautiful and sparkly and lots of diserpersion (of course) but tinted, for sure.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
BlingObsession said:
I don't have an M but I have recently bought a pair of MRB N's which is one grade down.

Mine are perfectly cut and very bright and sparkly but they are tinted yellow - which is fine because I have set them with a copper tourmaline and have an "autumn" ring which is exactly what I wanted.

In almost all lights they are varying shades of yellow from very pale to quite deep. Rarely are they white but every now and then they surprise me!

Don't buy an M thinking you wont see the tint, because I'm fairly sure you will - almost all the time - beautiful and sparkly and lots of diserpersion (of course) but tinted, for sure.

Bling, thanks for your sharing. I'm still in 2 minds about it as I don't know if I'd like the tint. I tried to see if I like the tint on BGD website but realized I can't really tell as they used a black background. They should have used white background like JA.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
If it's modern cut and especially if it's a bit shallow, it will face up very white and bright in many lighting conditions, and pale yellow in others. N is a lot stronger tint than L or M, in my experience. L and M are more like candlelight ivory compared to bright white, unless there is an undesirable greeish tint to them that makes them look a bit sallow. Crafted by Infinity has offered some L - N modern H&A RBs in the past. Wink took some videos, and may have more if he has any warmer stones currently in stock. These are all older videos of stones that were sold:

L I1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MarNwSpEigI

L VS2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D1HC6_etDk

N SI1 2.73ct http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73n4kTLkcWU

If they are superbly cut, I think the modern H&A RB in lower colors are beautiful. They may not be for everyone, and I may not want that warm of a stone for an e-ring. But I like them and their changeable personalities.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
TC, thanks for the links. Jamie just replied that someone else has reserved it. I thought no one will be interested in modern M and didnt reserve it but I'm wrong.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might have to either get the stone to look at or go and see some mid to lower coloured diamonds in person. Colour is a very subjective thing, some people love mid and lower colour diamonds, other people don't like them at all.... It also depends on what the underlying body tint, tone or hue of the diamond you are looking at is, which will impact on how the stone looks face up when you wear it. It might be yellow, it could also be a very light brownish colour, or it could be an ivory greyish sort of tone or a greenish yellowy grey.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1385780570|3565014 said:
You might have to either get the stone to look at or go and see some mid to lower coloured diamonds in person. Colour is a very subjective thing, some people love mid and lower colour diamonds, other people don't like them at all.... It also depends on what the underlying body tint, tone or hue of the diamond you are looking at is, which will impact on how the stone looks face up when you wear it. It might be yellow, it could also be a very light brownish colour, or it could be an ivory greyish sort of tone or a greenish yellowy grey.

Like you, I'm not in the US and I'm faced with GST whenever I get a diamond from US, hence the reluctance to buy and look. But I agree that I've to see with my own eyes, hence I chose a smaller M diamond so that the GST won't be so high should I choose to return it. I suppose I can get a GST refund but I know some people give up on the refund as they said it's too tedious. But someone has already reserved it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
where are you in Australia? I just sent another Aussie member to a few shops to try on a number of different items, Antique shops here are the most likely places to look where you will get to view stones in that type of colour range. I own an L but it faces like a J to a K at the very worst...

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Arkieb, sorry for the confusion, I'm not in Australia. I think Australia GST is totally non-refundable. At least I can still get a refund if I want to go thru the tedious paper work process and constant "hounding".

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in a country like the UK or Canada where you can go and check out some antique or vintage jewellery? Even if you are thinking of buying a modern cut diamond (or indeed an old cut) that is in that mid or lowered colour range, finding something similar is well worth the effort, that way you will be able to see immediately if you like it or not.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
There is one big chain that carries warm diamonds so I can look over there. I've seen their warm diamonds but I have no idea what color it's supposed to be according to GIA/AGS standard as they don't use those 2 labs. At least with BGD, if I'm buying an AGS M color, I'm getting an M. Think I will go back for a look again anyway since I don't know where else I can find AGS/GIA certed warm diamonds.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ashleigh|1385876152|3565464 said:
There is one big chain that carries warm diamonds so I can look over there. I've seen their warm diamonds but I have no idea what color it's supposed to be according to GIA/AGS standard as they don't use those 2 labs. At least with BGD, if I'm buying an AGS M color, I'm getting an M. Think I will go back for a look again anyway since I don't know where else I can find AGS/GIA certed warm diamonds.

Yes go back and look and try it on!!!! Are there any Antique or Vintage stores near where you live? If so go and have a look there as well, they could possibly have smaller antique diamonds that are around that colour range and that will also give you an idea. If you try on a few and decide you love the look then go for it, the Brian Gavin stones are amazing cuts!!!!

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Totally no vintage cut where I'm. After all, it's called old European cut. Guess we are too far that such diamonds don't trickle here, lol.

rileyl

Rough_Rock
I have an OEC/transitional cut, M coloured diamond, and I couldn't be happier with it. I rarely detect colour in her, and even if I do, I perceive it more as "warmth" than "colour", if that makes any sense. I was afraid that she would look yellowish, and maybe to someone who is very colour sensitive, she would, but honestly, I don't see colour in her at all. There are lots of pics of my stone on here. Do a search for 1.13 OEC and you'll see a number of threads where she has been discussed at length, and there are lots of pics. It's quite remarkable how different she looks in pics, though. I never perceive her to be as buttery IRL as she does in some pics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results