shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on current diamond - RB, 1.24 H VS2

Island_Fever

Rough_Rock
If you have followed me the last day or so I am debating an upgrade vs. a reset of my existing stone. I plan to go in the next day or two to Solomon Bros, where we purchased, to look at my diamond in some halo settings vs. slightly larger (~1.5 carat) rounds, ovals and cushions in a lower color.

I pulled my GIA report from 2001 and it doesn't have the angle information. What I do know is: 1.24 carat round brilliant, H VS2, no fluorescence, VG symmetry and polish. Depth is 59.8% and table is 57%. Girdle very thin to thin. No crown or pavilion angles listed, so I can't calculate the HCA score. Any opinions based on this limited data?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Is it just me or do you get a smidge annoyed when a poster starts a new thread based on an ongoing subject and you have to keep jumping backwards and forwards to remember details lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy.

You need an appraisal that includes an a Sarin and an idealscope image. From an independent appraiser. Not someone affliated with or working for a jewelry store on your original stone. So, find a good appraiser local to you and take your current stone (unset) in.

But I can tell you, based on what you've got so far... how would you like to reset that stone as a pendent? Unless you have an upgrade policy at Solomon brothers.

In which case, you will probably want to use the upgrade policy.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Island_Fever|1457048075|3999327 said:
I pulled my GIA report from 2001 and it doesn't have the angle information. What I do know is: 1.24 carat round brilliant, H VS2, no fluorescence, VG symmetry and polish. Depth is 59.8% and table is 57%. Girdle very thin to thin. No crown or pavilion angles listed, so I can't calculate the HCA score. Any opinions based on this limited data?

Based on girdle thickness alone, the stone won't qualify for GIA EX: too thin.
It may still be a fantastic performer, but with a potential durability issue.

Island_Fever

Rough_Rock
It appears I've committed a forum faux-pas, my apologies. Thanks for everyone's input.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think OP said its a GIA VG cut. OP, maybe if you have a jeweler near you with a microscope, they could read the girdle inscription and then you could get the report online using the number? They'll usually do this for free.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Island_Fever|1457112434|3999779 said:
It appears I've committed a forum faux-pas, my apologies. Thanks for everyone's input.

:wavey: Hi Island_Fever. It was my suggestion you were following to start a new thread that focuses on what you want help with NOW. I don't see it as a forum faux-pas, since some people look to the titles to gauge whether or not it is a thread they want to or can participate in. No worries :saint:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringo865|1457114651|3999795 said:
I think OP said its a GIA VG cut. OP, maybe if you have a jeweler near you with a microscope, they could read the girdle inscription and then you could get the report online using the number? They'll usually do this for free.

OP has the actual gia report hard copy from 2001. Gia did not have a cut grade system until 2005. Therefore, the stone was never assessed for cut, as indicated in OP's post. The online version will not have proportion chart either. The best way is what gypsy suggested, thru a appraiser. Or send the stone back to GIA. Or have solomom brother assess the diamond. Im sure they have appropriate tools (eg sarin, aset and or is scope)

Island_Fever

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for your input. It is accurate that I am in possession of the 2001 GIA hard copy certificate. In the interest of doing my due diligence, I also searched my report # online and there is no angle info listed (as expected).

I went to Solomon Bros and tried on a few things:
1. an oval halo - 2 carat center;
2. a Henri Daussi cushion halo (not considering a Daussi stone, but I like the style of his settings and would probably have someone do a reproduction); and
3. a round halo (the center we tried was 1.5, but the dimensions were just slightly bigger than my 1.24 carat, which is a 7.04mm x 7.06mm or similar).

I'm either going to keep my stone and have a custom cushion shape split-shank halo made (unless I happen to find a stunning one that is built for a round diamond), or upgrade to an oval b/w 1.5-1.8 and have a custom halo made. I'm going to marinate on it for a couple of months before I pull the trigger. I will come back for opinions when we decide to buy.

For fun, here are some photos of what I tried on. The only setting I really liked was the Daussi with the cushion, but we found some empty halos to put the round and oval in so I could see what sizes would look like on my finger. Any opinions on what shape looks best on my finger?

Oval (would prefer split shank halo like the Daussi with the oval shape):

Round in a cushion shaped halo:

Daussi Cushion:

img_10983.jpg

img_10984.jpg

img_10985.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad that you are back.

Another vote for #2. Single shank and halo. Elegant.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the second one best. What were the profiles like?

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I love that round in a cushion halo!

Island_Fever

Rough_Rock
Funny that the three who have weighed in are unanimous on the round in a cushion. My husband will love you, as resetting my current stone is obviously the most economical option! The profile on that setting was a basket I think. The setting was one where a wedding ring would need to be custom made to wrap around the base of the setting. I prefer a setting where a wedding band will sit flush beside the band on the engagement ring. I'm going to keep looking for pre-made settings as there are many on the market for a 1.25 carat RB.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results