shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on a diamond with an extra facet

jd881370

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm going to purchase a diamond and was hoping for some input. Here are the specs:

Round
Excellent cut
6.16 - 6.19 x 3.83
I color
0.90 carat
IF Clarity
Clarity Characteristics: Extra facet, minor details of polish
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
62% Depth, 57% table, 34 crown, 41 pavilion, culet none
GIA report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7238816362

It scores 1.5 on the HCA. I've read that an extra facet is not anything to be too concerned about, the GIA report does not include a plot so I do not know where it is located. The diamond will cost about $4000, I'm hoping to find out if this is a good value or if this diamond is even worth buying. It seems like a good choice to me but what do I know :) Thank you all in advance, this site has been really helpful so far!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I'd pay the high price for an IF diamond I'd want to know exactly where that extra facet is.
Yes I realize IF means internally flawless, and facets are not internal, but on the surface.

If the extra facet is at the girdle, I'd overlook it since it could be covered by a prong.
But if it happens to be at the edge of the table that might bug me.
I'm not sure how large an external facet can actually be and still get an IF grade from GIA.

The fact that the vendor has concealed the facet's position by ordering the cheaper GIA Diamond Dossier report (on a stone that is not very low in value) leaves me curious.

Last edited:

jd881370

Rough_Rock
Before I'd pay the high price for an IF diamond I'd want to know exactly where that extra facet is.
Yes I realize IF means internally flawless, and facets are not internal, but on the surface.

If the extra facet is at the girdle, I'd overlook it since it could be covered by a prong.
I'm not sure how large an external facet can actually be and still get an IF grade from GIA.

The fact that the vendor has concealed the facet's position by ordering the cheaper GIA Diamond Dossier report (on a stone that is not very low in value) leaves me curious.

Here's the diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-i-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2117921

Maybe someone can tell from the image if it will be visible?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny...That would be my guess, b/c the stone is not out of round (6.16 - 6.19) that to me would indicate the extra facet is not on the girdle. ...JMO.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not loving it. Here is why.

1. It is possible that Very Good symmetry is (solely or mainly) because of the extra facet. This means the extra facet can be easily detected under 10x mag by an expert. It may not be visible in the video because the facet is probably on the pavilion side.
2. I do not like the contrast pattern
3. I do not like the shape and size of the table reflection.

I do not like a stone that is with questions and uncertainty. It is appears that the cutter either made a mistake during cutting or tried to hide a flaw or strategically cut the stone to obtain IF clarity by adding the extra facet.

I would not buy this stone without the ASET (and maybe the heart image); the IS alone is insufficient in this case.

jd881370

Rough_Rock
I am not loving it. Here is why.

1. It is possible that Very Good symmetry is (solely or mainly) because of the extra facet. This means the extra facet can be easily detected under 10x mag by an expert. It may not be visible in the video because the facet is probably on the pavilion side.
2. I do not like the contrast pattern
3. I do not like the shape and size of the table reflection.

I do not like a stone that is with questions and uncertainty. It is appears that the cutter either made a mistake during cutting or tried to hide a flaw or strategically cut the stone to obtain IF clarity by adding the extra facet.

I would not buy this stone without the ASET (and maybe the heart image); the IS alone is insufficient in this case.

Thank you for the input.

I cancelled the hold I had on that diamond because JA was unwilling to provide an ASET image. They claimed that with those proportions the image would be unecessary, even with the extra facet. When I pushed for the image they said the diamond was from an overseas partner and so they can't get the ASET anyway.

I'm still on the hunt for a round diamond around $4000. Any suggestions are appreciated, I keep learning more and more from this forum.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you need IF clarity?

People here can find lovely stones in your budget if we know your "must haves" and "wish to haves."

jd881370

Rough_Rock
Do you need IF clarity?

People here can find lovely stones in your budget if we know your "must haves" and "wish to haves."

No, not at all. A must have for me is VS2 or higher, excellent or ideal cut. I would prefer I color or higher but that depends on the stone. I've been looking for a 0.90 carat stone but have been searching as low as 0.80 carat.

jd881370

Rough_Rock

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem. I have not seen any well cut 0.9c H VS2 GIA X with no/faint fluo for 4k at JA. Normally, they are around 4.5k.
A recently graded 0.91c H VS2 AGS0 with computer generated ASET, ideal proportions with negligible fluo for just above 4.0k??
You don't think. You buy. Then, think later.
Great job!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find @flyingpig !!!!!! OP, I'm so glad you were able to snatch that up!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results