carat
color
clarity

Opinion needed on this Yellow Sapphire

villa_newva

Rough_Rock
T

talamasca

Hi, sorry I'm not very knowledgeable on colours, but it does looks a nice yellow, though seems darker on edges than middle, the ring is very very pretty and the price for both seems reasonable.

ETA: Actually, on comparing it with other yellows on their site is appears washed out..... I suppose it depends on how strong a yellow you would like?

However, have you looked at Diamonds by Lauren's site. They have some lovely yellow diamond rings within your budget, though the stones may be smaller I didn't check.

Good look with your search and hopefully someone more experienced will chime in soon :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking specifically for a step cut yellow sapphire? The ends are darker than the center, which tends to be more obvious in a lighter toned stone, so I don't think there's too much to be done about it. Cutting is decent enough. Doesn't look intense as decribed though. Must it be unheated?

This one from Finewater is heated and doesn't appear to be precision cut but has better cut than most. It is a pity that the unheated one (very last) is already sold.
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have bought a couple of yellow sapphires from NSC and I've returned every one as the on screen color and the irl color were way different. If it wasn't for the measurements and cutting I would think they were different stones. Just my 2cents. No ideas on the quality of their settings.

The finewater gem above is a beauty though if you like it.

If you buy your sapphire elsewhere and are looking for a setting you can get a similar ones here, these could be modified to fit an emerald cut.
http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r397-a-d-d-m.html
http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/8wr1188-a-d-d-m.html

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1366719366|3432807 said:
Are you looking specifically for a step cut yellow sapphire? The ends are darker than the center, which tends to be more obvious in a lighter toned stone, so I don't think there's too much to be done about it. Cutting is decent enough. Doesn't look intense as decribed though. Must it be unheated?

This one from Finewater is heated and doesn't appear to be precision cut but has better cut than most. It is a pity that the unheated one (very last) is already sold.
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

Good find. It's very similar in size and shape to the NSC sapphire but probably better cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roger Dery is a well skilled and reputable lapidary, so I'm not concerned about that part. The owner of DBL, on the other hand, has not always been gracious and civil to PSers in the forum, blaming it on his hot temper once everything has cooled down and the moderator threatens a smackdown. The quality of the settings made is also hit and miss; it could be really nice or have very obvious issues. You can do a search on DBL yourself. There are both happy and upset customers.

If still interested in the stone, I would request handshots since his fancy photography has been called into question numerous times due to the technique used. Note that I am not accusing him of deceptive photography - definitely not! It's just that it is very different and difficult to gauge.

villa_newva

Rough_Rock
He's been really helpful answering emails and even provided the hand pics as requested. I think I will proceed with the order as I really like the setting. I will keep everyone updated.

Thank you all for all the help!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Also, Roger Dery's web site is

http://www.spectralgems.net/

I have met Roger at a couple of gemstone round tables, and he is a delightful gentleman. I also own a couple of gemstones cut by him, and the cutting is excellent.

Note that Roger has more stones than those listed on the web site, so it would be worth asking about it you want something that isn't shown.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Removed. Wrong thread.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
DBL appears to offer a range of different quality settings. They do everything to putting together stock parts, to their "uber" line, which appears to have very fine craftmanship. I think you will get what you pay for. You can do a search for DBLs trellis setting which was a mix of a handforged trellis and a cast shank. It's quite a work of art.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've worked with David from DBL on a number of occasions and I can honestly say I wouldn't hesitate to work with him again. With one of my purchases, the diamond wasn't quite what I was expecting (a lack of communication on both sides probably if I'm honest) and I commented on it on this forum but without naming DBL. David recognised who I was and the diamond in question and the lovely man emailed and phoned me - he REALLY wanted to make things right. Not only did he make it right but sold me my dream chameleon diamond! So, would I buy from him again? Absolutely.

As others have said, he's selling Roger's stones so you're assured of quality.

In terms of your original stone from NSC - that has a good deal of green in it and isn't as warm or attractive as the one that Chrono found for you. I haven't looked to see if this company has the cut/colour you want but you could try http://www.ajsgem.com/ as they usually have a good selection of yellows and declare treatments (if that's important to you).

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a bit late to the party, but I must agree that the NSC sapphire doesn't look great to me.... I rather like the Pala one, if the window is likely to close up in a setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results