shape
carat
color
clarity

Open or closed gallery for baguette cut eternity band?

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Dear all, I would like to seek opinion on the style of eternity band.

I would like to purchase an eternity band with the following details

Setting: channel
Diamond: horizontal baguette
Band width: 1.8mm or less
Gold: yellow

It is a thin band but I would like to find out if having an open or close gallery would be better. I worry the open gallery will trap dirt as it is thin and cleaning can be quite tedious.

On the other hand, If it is a close gallery, will the baguette diamond not sparkle as much?

Please help. Thanks a lot :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My initial thought is the same as yours about cleaning it. Do you have a picture of a similar band?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does an open gallery give a ring more sparkle? I would think a closed gallery would be harder to clean as you can get to the back of the stones with a small brush.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1481516692|4106528 said:
I would think a closed gallery would be harder to clean as you can get to the back of the stones with a small brush.
I meant 'can't'.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would prefer open for cleaning. You can always soak a ring to help clean the underside of stones. If it is closed, there is virtually no way to get to the underside of them.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi MoonRiver,

As April Baby pointed out, it would be great if you have a picture.

If you're worried about cleaning, you could have the band cleaned professionally at a local jeweler about twice a year and clean it at home regularly, that should be enough keep the band brilliant.

If you are still concerned you can explore options for a band with an opening underneath (an azure) which can make it a bit easier to keep clean (some people will tell you this can change the security of the diamond, but that will be depend on the particular setting).

Here's a thread from awhile ago that discussed this same topic.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-the-deal-with-the-tiny-holes.67547/

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MoonRiver|1481384752|4106104 said:
Dear all, I would like to seek opinion on the style of eternity band.

I would like to purchase an eternity band with the following details

Setting: channel
Diamond: horizontal baguette
Band width: 1.8mm or less
Gold: yellow

It is a thin band but I would like to find out if having an open or close gallery would be better. I worry the open gallery will trap dirt as it is thin and cleaning can be quite tedious.

On the other hand, If it is a close gallery, will the baguette diamond not sparkle as much?

Please help. Thanks a lot :)

I didn't read anyone else's response so that my response wouldn't be influenced, so if I repeat info I apologize.

I personally recommend going with azures for the reason of cleaning. Azures do not trap the dirt, but rather allow it to be cleaned out. They have nothing to do with the sparkle unless you are talking about fine dust and body oils getting underneath the stone, which can happen without azures. Baguettes do not have the sparkle of brilliant cuts to begin with, so keeping them clean is crucial to the look of the ring. The larger the azures, the easier to get the diamonds really clean.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have a slim baguette set eternity ring and to be honest the diamonds aren't very sparkly at all because they are small and channel set. Baguettes are quite different to round diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results