Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Opalescent Tourbillon Ring Project

pokerface

Shiny_Rock
It's happening! My first real project! I've been around these forums and collecting for over a decade, but as it turns out, turning something into jewelry is a lot more expensive than buying random gems on ebay!

The sapphire:

CE245123-E8B8-4070-8267-B61B804BCB6F.jpeg 9C906041-A0D8-4966-9F4B-43295AD034F0.jpeg 0397C3CF-0E2B-4205-B77C-07BDA33EF0A4.jpeg

First question: should I take this stone over to AGL to see if it gets the magical "opalescent" designation? Even if not, I think it would be nice to have the brief to commemorate the occasion (and prove the stone is unheated/untreated).

The inspiration:

7345D89E-E53E-4C07-8A25-82ABD0ADD88F.jpeg

I've contacted David Klass to make a modified version of this antique ring, but with rose gold instead of yellow. I will also maybe use OECs instead of rose cuts depending on availability, but I do like the rustic feel of the original. Thoughts?

The first draft:
9A3ACC9B-CB89-4D4D-9A75-3C311808BE98.jpeg

Here's David's first take. What suggestions would you make to have this look as close to the inspiration as possible? I am most interested in mimicking the proportions of the inspiration piece, because it's very pleasing to my eye.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pretty stone, love that GLOW! Agreed it's often more expensive to turn into jewellery hence why I have a number still unset.... :(sad

RE: the CAD maybe slightly less airline between swirls? It's a personal opinion only though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
94D14B7B-05A8-42FC-B3AB-54292776ABEC.jpeg

Another shot in shaded natural light. I am leaning towards bringing this guy over to AGL for a GemBrief, especially since I am in NYC and can deliver by hand. Anyone think that would be a terribly foolish idea for a .75ct sapphire?

Nope, I would seriously consider it, just to know what you have.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
It's happening! My first real project! I've been around these forums and collecting for over a decade, but as it turns out, turning something into jewelry is a lot more expensive than buying random gems on ebay!

The sapphire:

CE245123-E8B8-4070-8267-B61B804BCB6F.jpeg 9C906041-A0D8-4966-9F4B-43295AD034F0.jpeg 0397C3CF-0E2B-4205-B77C-07BDA33EF0A4.jpeg

First question: should I take this stone over to AGL to see if it gets the magical "opalescent" designation? Even if not, I think it would be nice to have the brief to commemorate the occasion (and prove the stone is unheated/untreated).

The inspiration:

7345D89E-E53E-4C07-8A25-82ABD0ADD88F.jpeg

I've contacted David Klass to make a modified version of this antique ring, but with rose gold instead of yellow. I will also maybe use OECs instead of rose cuts depending on availability, but I do like the rustic feel of the original. Thoughts?

The first draft:
9A3ACC9B-CB89-4D4D-9A75-3C311808BE98.jpeg

Here's David's first take. What suggestions would you make to have this look as close to the inspiration as possible? I am most interested in mimicking the proportions of the inspiration piece, because it's very pleasing to my eye.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

How fun! Regarding the CAD vs the inspiration. On the inspiration I see more negative (air/empty) space between the center stone and on the center swirl. The CAD dosent seem to have the second gap.

pokerface

Shiny_Rock
How fun! Regarding the CAD vs the inspiration. On the inspiration I see more negative (air/empty) space between the center stone and on the center swirl. The CAD dosent seem to have the second gap.

Can you show me what you mean by circling the parts on the photos? Do you just mean the inspiration diamonds are smaller and the swirl is tighter?

Also: I have dropped the stone off at AGL!!! They already verified it's a natural sapphire!! :) :) :)

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Actress Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Wedding
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.