shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal doublet question

familynurse

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for an opal for my DIL. She is pregnant with her 2nd child( my 2nd grandchild). For her first pregnancy I bought her a double strand of pearls. For this pregnancy I thought an opal pendant would be nice. She likes classic styles, but doesn't wear a lot of jewelry.
I found a doublet opal - the site describes it "mounted onto a ironstone backing. The natural crystal is blackened on the back so it looks like expensive black opal". Its very pretty but is there any reason not to buy a " crystal blackened on the back?"
I would love to buy her a nice black opal but it is more than I want to spend. I plan to have it set it simply in white gold.
Any feed back or things I need to know/learn would be appreciated. Thank you.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been looking for an opal for my DIL. She is pregnant with her 2nd child( my 2nd grandchild). For her first pregnancy I bought her a double strand of pearls. For this pregnancy I thought an opal pendant would be nice. She likes classic styles, but doesn't wear a lot of jewelry.
I found a doublet opal - the site describes it "mounted onto a ironstone backing. The natural crystal is blackened on the back so it looks like expensive black opal". Its very pretty but is there any reason not to buy a " crystal blackened on the back?"
I would love to buy her a nice black opal but it is more than I want to spend. I plan to have it set it simply in white gold.
Any feed back or things I need to know/learn would be appreciated. Thank you.

When making doublets, vendors use black oxide powder in the glue to help the join between the Opal layers be as strong as possible - it also blackens the back of the crystal. This is accepted practice for making doublets and most likely what this vendor has done.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing “wrong” with doublets. They are much more price friendly, equally beautiful and enable a wonderful piece of opal, too thin for use otherwise, to be crafted into a piece of jewellery.
Of course, do not use an ultrasonic cleaner on opal and if if any soldering work is required, the opal must be unmounted.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
40A498D2-2693-4A60-8082-2026A06FD36F.jpeg E829315A-E97C-43E3-BA0B-D042820BC688.jpeg DD41A783-1DAE-475C-B93A-B73A6557A9D4.jpeg I don’t know if you secured that opal but I found some suitable pendants on eBay here.
Setting an opal is going to cost you a few hundred dollars, especially an irregular shape. I love my pre loved for bargains.
These are all doublets and set into solid gold. Two are buy it now at $540 Aust (the green blue one) $400 Aust (the pretty wire sort of frame) and my favorite - the art nouveau one is rose gold and auction so $ ? I’d bid to $500 it’s a nice piece.
I’ve bought from 1 of the sellers previously, the others are business sellers with 99% feedback so safe. If they do t ship internationally I can if you like.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
35437028-5EF6-46DB-BAB3-FE6B747C1786.jpeg Oops, read you want white gold.
Not so often you find opals in white gold, but I found this in, I presume, Sterling silver. $150 Aust, novice eBay seller but that’s usually ok. The opals are doublets, slightly different but I do like the setting style. Like a branch.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
40A498D2-2693-4A60-8082-2026A06FD36F.jpeg E829315A-E97C-43E3-BA0B-D042820BC688.jpeg DD41A783-1DAE-475C-B93A-B73A6557A9D4.jpeg I don’t know if you secured that opal but I found some suitable pendants on eBay here.
Setting an opal is going to cost you a few hundred dollars, especially an irregular shape. I love my pre loved for bargains.
These are all doublets and set into solid gold. Two are buy it now at $540 Aust (the green blue one) $400 Aust (the pretty wire sort of frame) and my favorite - the art nouveau one is rose gold and auction so $ ? I’d bid to $500 it’s a nice piece.
I’ve bought from 1 of the sellers previously, the others are business sellers with 99% feedback so safe. If they do t ship internationally I can if you like.
With the first one, the floral type wire setting, it’s claw set so the opal is easy to unset and have the yellow gold setting rhodium plated - viola white gold! As a pendant the rhodium plating won’t wear off. It’s a very nice doublet in my humble opinion. $400 Aust is about $290 US I think.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
The colors in the first pendant are gorgeous!

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Bron 357 -The opals are beautiful! Thank you for scouting out this beauties. I really like the first one in the claw setting. I am on my way to class and wont have a chance to decide until later today. Thank you so much for your help!
BTW- I made an adjustable ring for my 4 yr old granddaughter and set one of the rubellites you sent me in a prong setting. The ring is not perfect but I am very proud of my first prong setting. I'll post a picture when I learn how to upload pictures.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
With the first one, the floral type wire setting, it’s claw set so the opal is easy to unset and have the yellow gold setting rhodium plated - viola white gold! As a pendant the rhodium plating won’t wear off. It’s a very nice doublet in my humble opinion. $400 Aust is about $290 US I think.

Do you have the links to the site with the opals or the name of the ebay store? Thanks

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, back again. It’s ebay Aust (they do ship internationally at cost - probably about $40) item number 352259308839 $400 or best offer.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Thank you !! Will take a look.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Hi- I seriously love the opal in the first pendant! If this was set in white gold, I would have already bought it. I am just concerned about letting someone take the opal out and then resetting it after rhodium plating. You have given me an idea though.
I am now thinking about buying an opal doublet and making a setting for it in sterling silver. I could have the silver setting rhodium plated prior to setting the stone. I would probably bezel it. What do you think?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is actually less expertise required working with claw settings than bezel. The problem you will find is that irrespective of the metal used, most the cost in making a setting is the labor cost.
Opals are soft on Mohos scale but usually with thicker edges (girdles). Doublets in particular are quite robust, the edges, where the the pressure of setting is applied, isn’t as thin as the girdle on say a diamond or sapphire.
Opals being unique shapes and sizes are unlikely to find into any “stock” settings so normally it’s custom made.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
I can make the silver setting myself. I would have to send it out for the rhodium plating . I would still rather find a opal and setting already made. I will make some inquires here at home about taking the opal out , rhodium plating and resetting it. I don't really know any local jewelers, but my silversmithing friends/instructors might. Thanks!!

familynurse

Rough_Rock
[by Bron357 » Sunday at 12:18 AM
Hi, back again. It’s ebay Aust (they do ship internationally at cost - probably about $40) item number 352259308839 $400 or best offer.]

Bron 357- Several days ago , I sent them a question to make sure they ship to USA and to request the size of the opal. I have not had any reply to my questions. Have you purchased from them before? If you are sure they ship, I will purchase this. Thank you so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results