shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal Color

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm new to opals but I found this at a local pawn shop and bought it. Can some of you opal gurus tell me the color? Also, I posted a photo of what's under the setting. I'm calling it a phoenix. Rather unusual, but it made me love it even more.

Thanks! IMG_2694.jpg IMG_2688.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it may be a doublet because of what looks to be a very black underside of the stone. It’s very pretty.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like it may be a doublet because of what looks to be a very black underside of the stone. It’s very pretty.

Thank you! That helps me a lot. The underside where the "bird" is would be the backing. A side view shows somewhat of an off-white layer, and then the bottom underside.

Still can't figure out the bird underneath, though. One of life's great mysteries.:twisted2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E1514842-FA43-47D1-86B5-6C4108443008.jpeg 4EEC968B-380F-49C8-9CEC-C813435A6315.jpeg 9D4F0AFC-7679-49D0-970C-6145DB7E873E.jpeg E198B190-C6C0-4489-A2CD-AEDB9A79986B.jpeg Hi, sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I’m pretty sure that’s a lab created opal, not a natural opal. What did the Pawn shop ID the other gems as and also the metal?
That aside, opals are labeled by their type first, then if there’s a “pattern” to the colour play, that might also be used in the description.
Firstly there are natural solid opals, then doublets where a slice of natural opal is glued to a backing (usually because the piece of opal was too thin to be used alone), triplet opals which are an even thinner slice of natural opal with a clear dome (might be quartz, glass or even plastic) stuck over the top and that glued to a backing.
There are Australian opals (mulicolour), Ethiopian or Welo opals (mulitcolour);and Mexican Fire opals (orange red tones only). There is also Boulder Opal (opal seam in ironstone) of various types plus other gems called pink and blue opal, just a single colour.
A material called Opalite is a created glass type
These days there are a number of manufacturers of lab created opal. Some are very well made and believable creations, others are “trendy bright colours” and easily IDed as man made.
Black opals are the most valuable. These are identified by the “background tone” being very dark. Once the background tone lightens too much, they become semi black, then lighter tone still, white opals. These opals type are generally opaque when held up to a light source.
Crystal opals and Ethopian opals and Mexican fire opals are translucent. When held up to a light source they are semi see through.This type of opal usually means the colour play is subdued in low lighting.
Sometimes the opals colour play is identified as a particular pattern. There’s harlequin, flash, rolling flash, Chinese writing, pin fire etc. Some patterns are rare and greatly increase the opals value.
And an opals value (apart from size); is determined by its type, then colour play and the colours in the colour play. Red is the most valuable colour. Then orange, pink, yellow. Violet, blue and green are less valuable.
A top opal would be a black opal with full spectrum colour play that changes with directional viewing, the “less” background colour between colours the better.
A tell tale sign of lab created opal is the lack of colour play change when the angle of viewing is changed.
A photo of the different colours of lab opals can be purchased in and also some photos of my opal ring which shows how colour play changes quite dramatically depending on viewing angle.
And there’s nothing “wrong” with lab opals, they are very beautiful BUT you don’t want to be paying “natural opal” price for a lab opal.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You’re not a Debbie Downer and I always(!!) value your opinion! The other stones are pink tourmalines and maybe garnets and the metal is 14k. I didn’t pay a lot for the ring but I do love the look. It caught my eye and that was that. Thank you for all the helpful information. It gives me something to “study.”

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a doublet. But we'd need more pics to tell.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a fantasy of color but in love with that secrete bird on the underneath
enjoy your new ring

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
0F056D98-8EB1-4C8C-833C-A60B4004B8E9.jpeg 848194BA-F98E-4324-AF7D-4D56A8BE96D8.jpeg
E1514842-FA43-47D1-86B5-6C4108443008.jpeg 4EEC968B-380F-49C8-9CEC-C813435A6315.jpeg 9D4F0AFC-7679-49D0-970C-6145DB7E873E.jpeg E198B190-C6C0-4489-A2CD-AEDB9A79986B.jpeg Hi, sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I’m pretty sure that’s a lab created opal, not a natural opal. What did the Pawn shop ID the other gems as and also the metal?
That aside, opals are labeled by their type first, then if there’s a “pattern” to the colour play, that might also be used in the description.
Firstly there are natural solid opals, then doublets where a slice of natural opal is glued to a backing (usually because the piece of opal was too thin to be used alone), triplet opals which are an even thinner slice of natural opal with a clear dome (might be quartz, glass or even plastic) stuck over the top and that glued to a backing.
There are Australian opals (mulicolour), Ethiopian or Welo opals (mulitcolour);and Mexican Fire opals (orange red tones only). There is also Boulder Opal (opal seam in ironstone) of various types plus other gems called pink and blue opal, just a single colour.
A material called Opalite is a created glass type
These days there are a number of manufacturers of lab created opal. Some are very well made and believable creations, others are “trendy bright colours” and easily IDed as man made.
Black opals are the most valuable. These are identified by the “background tone” being very dark. Once the background tone lightens too much, they become semi black, then lighter tone still, white opals. These opals type are generally opaque when held up to a light source.
Crystal opals and Ethopian opals and Mexican fire opals are translucent. When held up to a light source they are semi see through.This type of opal usually means the colour play is subdued in low lighting.
Sometimes the opals colour play is identified as a particular pattern. There’s harlequin, flash, rolling flash, Chinese writing, pin fire etc. Some patterns are rare and greatly increase the opals value.
And an opals value (apart from size); is determined by its type, then colour play and the colours in the colour play. Red is the most valuable colour. Then orange, pink, yellow. Violet, blue and green are less valuable.
A top opal would be a black opal with full spectrum colour play that changes with directional viewing, the “less” background colour between colours the better.
A tell tale sign of lab created opal is the lack of colour play change when the angle of viewing is changed.
A photo of the different colours of lab opals can be purchased in and also some photos of my opal ring which shows how colour play changes quite dramatically depending on viewing angle.
And there’s nothing “wrong” with lab opals, they are very beautiful BUT you don’t want to be paying “natural opal” price for a lab opal.

Here are two more views....

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs....did the two photos I posted last give you any idea?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops. Didn't see those. It's a triplet I think

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whoops. Didn't see those. It's a triplet I think
Does that make it real or not real? I thought triplet also after I googled and saw examples. But now.....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that make it real or not real? I thought triplet also after I googled and saw examples. But now.....
It's real, but it's a thin slice of opal that has a backing and is covered by plastic/glass, etc. So it's real, but extremely inexpensive (that doesn't mean it's not pretty, but just hoping you didn't overpay).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a triplet. A thin slice of opal sandwiched between a black backing and a quartz top, or some transparent top. The slice could be natural. I’ve never seen synthetic opals in triplets, it wouldn’t make much sense as most synthetic opal is very convincing and attractive without further enhancement.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's real, but it's a thin slice of opal that has a backing and is covered by plastic/glass, etc. So it's real, but extremely inexpensive (that doesn't mean it's not pretty, but just hoping you didn't overpay).

I think the price was fair. Should I be as careful with it as if it were a solid opal or is it a little more sturdy? Also, if I wanted to source an opal as a replacement, would that be do-able?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the price was fair. Should I be as careful with it as if it were a solid opal or is it a little more sturdy? Also, if I wanted to source an opal as a replacement, would that be do-able?

As careful as you would normally be, if not a bit more careful as the Opal layer may be very thin and susceptible to damage - even with the capping on top.

Also keep it away from acetone and other solvents that can cause the glue to dissolve.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is reusable, so you could source another opal or any other cabochon to go in there. I would just make sure you buy from a reputable opal dealer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results