shape
carat
color
clarity

Oops..I'm doing it again...I've found an Octagonal Aquamarine!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_3746.JPG Oops...I've done it again!
I'm buying a beautiful Untreated Octagonal Aquamarine in the most exquisite Sea Green colour, I prefer the greener stones, (from a totally reputable source) and I'm wondering how to set it. I do have a few other unset stones but this one I WILL set asap...think I might have said that before! An Aquamarine has been on my wish list for a while

I'd love some ideas of how to set it, if it was slightly smaller I'd go for Trapezoid sides ( I love that Emerald cut with Traps look) but it's 11mm x 9.5mm and so it's a bit large for that..I have size 6 fingers and little chubby hands and I need to set it beautifully to do it justice...but without blowing the budget!

The ring will be Platinum but the claws/prongs and any other aspects could be Yellow, or Rose Gold if I fancy. What do you think looks good?

So far I've considered a Halo, parallel lines of small diamonds either side...I like Art Deco styles too....what do you think?
Any photos would be a great help to me imagining the look.
Also with an Aqua, would a bezel be good, and do you enclose the bottom so the skin and shank of the ring of the ring aren't visible through the stone?

I'd love some help and ideas, thank you :)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No please do not halo it. Let the stone stand on its own. You said it is large for its intended use. Set it with nice bullets since traps (which I do not like especially with EC stones) are too big. Bullets have more of a presence than baguettes if the latter are too small. Or find nice size tapered baguettes. Or go for a cool modern solitaire setting. I am not a fan of bezels. Also, I am not a fan of mixed metals in a piece of jewelry so I would go for all plat to bring out the blue or yellow gold to bring out the green in the stone. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Postscript: I'm also wondering about the shank? Single style or Split shank?Plain or Channel set with rbc or princess cuts, or pave...goodness me too much choice! Help....!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Lambskin, that's a lovely speedy response :) Sorry I hadn't refreshed my page, so didn't see your comment when I did my P.S.

I was worried about a Halo making it far too big, so thank you for confirming that. Thank you also for the Bullet suggestion, I hadn't thought of those at all, I've just googled some and they're lovely.
I wonder how they fit in cost wise? I presume small RBC would be a cheaper way of adding Diamonds but I like the idea of two Bullets.
I'm generally not that keen on tapered Baguettes, they often look too thin and unbalanced to me...that's just my personal view...but I am open to reconsidering so Thank you.
It's interesting to learn that YG would bring out the green, I do like the green tones.

With being able to 'start from scratch' it's almost scary to have too much choice!
Thank you for your help :) It's very exciting :appl:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_3721.JPG Here's a quick selection of some I've found that have something about them that I like, not every aspect of each ring, maybe just a feature. I'm sorry I can't remember where I've seen them all online, but I know the Tri-wire one with the Diamond cuff is a beauty from Acinom. She has so many rings that I love. IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3884.JPG IMG_3899.JPG IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3917.JPG IMG_4259.JPG IMG_4203.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone....I too love the green tones. Can't wait to see how you set her. Here's some fun photos I found :cool2:.

upload_2018-2-14_15-6-26.png

upload_2018-2-14_15-7-42.png
upload_2018-2-14_15-28-0.png

upload_2018-2-14_15-8-27.png

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the most exquisite Sea Green colour

INDEED !

with an Aqua, would a bezel be good

Recently I saw some Arts & Crafts rings, with faceted rock crystal stones set in partial bezels extending from the girdle down perhaps a third of the pavilion depth - not unlike the YG backing deployed on yellow diamonds here. The stones were too shallow to be as bright as the material can (which isn't saying much), and still, the backing made them look good. IHMO, having the bottom open is part of this plot - complete bezels or reflective backings (not that anyone does these anymore - WWW) are different animals ...

___
Edited to correct link,

& to add sides WWW

I would find coloured sides more interesting, but, what colour could it be ! Montana blue-green sapphires come to mind & whatnot ...

I would do white metal throughout.

2c

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also look up "Raymond Yard Aquamarine rings" to get more Art Deco designs.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Ruby Lane or 1st Dibs for setting ideas? Your aquamarine is lovely! The cut and color are so classic. You must be thrilled. Aquamarine is one of my favorite gems.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall set my Jeff White's Aquamarine and Morganite traps in this design eventually.
vramjewelry_979054231100158097_1429986115.png

DK :))

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention H. Stern. They have done a ton with aquamarine over the years. In fact, I’m going to have my husband copy one of their designs when he sets my aquamarine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone @Hounddog !!!
The green hue is amazing. I cannot wait to see how you will set it. Personally I would set it in one metal colour.

Thank you for adding mine as one of the inspiration rings. I had to get used to the size but it not take long to get used to the big stone

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also love those two that missy highlighted above!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your great comments and images.

Hi JDDN, I really do like the first and last images you added, I've been told that rbc will be cheaper than other sides and this trio of them is lovely. I love step-set baguettes but with this Aqua's size I don't think I could managed the overall width...but maybe I could do one running either side of the stone along it's length. The third ring is just lovely, looks perfect, thank you that's given me a few to seriously consider.

Hi Valaria101, Thanks for the links. Oh Wow! I love those French Cuts, they're glorious but they make me want an eternity ring full of them! I wonder how they'd look next to my Aqua, I'll have to try drawing them out somehow. The full back link was useful in letting me know I do not want that sort of look, though I have seen a nice Aqua with a 'button back' which was similar but with cut out areas too.

Thanks TL and Chatoyancy, I've had a good look at 1stDibs and Raymond Yard, I've been busy today but I'll look into H.Stern and Ruby Lane very soon. Thank you so much. It must be wonderful that your husband can set your stones for you Chatoyancy!

Hi dk168, I love your chosen setting, I really would like a diamond ring like that..gorgeous. I can't wait to see your stones set like that, beautiful soft colour choices too, you must be so excited. Unfortunately I suspect this Aqua is too large for that design on me...wish it wasn't!

Thanks Missy, I really do like that ring too. When I can afford the setting I think I'll have to ask the jeweller to have various shaped diamonds in for me to just try each type with my Aqua!

Thank you Acinom, your rings are always an inspiration. I'm glad you like the stone too as it gives me confidence in my choice if it.
I think with the comments about the metal being consistent I will just stick with Platinum for everything.

Thank you all so much. It's wonderful to have such a knowledgeable and helpful community here.
I still don't know how I'll decide, but I'm getting more ideas and information which is great, thank you.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For large stones, I think a wider (or split shank) shank is more comfortable. You want as much friction as possible to avoid spinning. You can also have the maker modify the shank to flare out a bit at the top (or have divots carved in, thickness allowing) to act as a finger rest on single or multiple shanks. A lot of Steven Kirsch rings have that feature. If you look below, you can see that the tail prong for the pear is flared outward and the shank a bit built up there...that allows your adjacent fingers to self-adjust the ring. Love this feature for top-heavy settings if you go custom.

upload_2018-2-16_13-46-22.png

Last edited:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Rockysalamander, that makes total sense and is a very clever idea. Thank you for the image, that really helps to visualise it, much appreciated.

OMG!! Valaria101..... I'm in love, that ring with the Tapering French Cut Diamonds is absolutely divine :love:. I love that look, I did try one on years ago but the centre of that was a Cushion cut. I doubt I can afford them this time...but one day I'll definitely have one like that...dreamy...probably when my husband is helping to fund it :) Thank you so much, that's my aspirational ring!
:love:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

One of the very few ring designs that I would LOVE to own is a similar design done all in colour ... The original was a ruby with a sapphire band.

I have never thought about a version with pastel colours, until this evening.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
REALLY nice stone congrats!! I would keep the entire setting in one metal. You have many lovely suggestions for settings. Keep us updated on how you like the stone and what setting you go with.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When do you expect to receive your stone? Can’t wait to hear how you value it. And please post a group pic with your other stones please! Would love to see how the soft green compares with the soft blue of your natural blue topaz.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Valaria101, StoneHunter and Acinom. I will definitely keep you updated :) It's wonderful to have this community to share my excitement with. Most of friends like jewellery...but not to the same degree as everyone here does!

I too can't wait to see it with my other stones, I seem to have a theme developing as they are all versions of Blue-Green and generally the more delicate types.

I've seen the stone in person and handled it, my jeweller is being very kind & understanding and I will have it in April. If I can afford at that time to proceed with the setting then it will stay with him to be made into my completed ring. If I can't manage it so soon, then I will collect the stone and keep it until I can proceed. Either way I will post more photos asap :)
Apart from the choices to be made about the setting, there is also a lot of 'saving to be done'!

I saw a thread on PS about storing Gemstones and that person had masses, all in a great display box with each in its own little circular pot. I did wonder if I'm accidentally heading that way, as I've bought a few now but not set any of them yet!

Thanks again :)

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FD2A5ED9-60DB-49CD-8A7C-C9F6FD17ACCD.jpeg 452C3FAF-E397-44AC-B90C-A1DDD354BFC3.jpeg 2E1DAD83-3A23-4959-A7CE-D4256BD097E6.jpeg Just a quick update, I haven’t been on PS very much recently as life has been busy, but I was on earlier today and saw some beautiful EC diamonds with traps sides being discussed. Which brings me to my news, my jeweller called me last week to say he had some very lovely ‘softer/down’ coloured Trilliants/Trillion Diamonds 0.35 each and asked if I was interested, as he thinks they look great with my Aqua.
N.B. The photos are all taken a bit off centre so the Trilliants and Aqua are not showing their best, the Trilliants are good matches and the Aqua doesn’t have that offset rear facet joining point that it seems to have in the photos.

I’ve always loved side Traps, but I was heading towards a halo around my bezel set Aqua, even though it’s big, but since these came up and he says they look great together with my Aqua I’m going for it!! I don’t have any Trilliants at the moment and I like the idea of having stones in every shape in my collection...help!
I’ll attach some photos, I’d love some help with ideas for the setting of these as an Octagonal/Emerald Cut Aqua with Trilliant sides. I know I’m a bit ‘iffy’ about claws/prongs, so I’m thinking of bar type claws on the corners of the Aqua..but does anyone know of a different way to set the Trilliants..ie Bezel?
It’s now going to be next year before this is set as I’m buying the Trilliants, but I’d love creative ideas for my three stone.
Thanks...I love PS

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous combo!! I already love your future ring. The warmth of the diamonds bring out the greenish quality of you stone!

If I get some ideas for your ring, I will come back to share.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Hounddog! It's me, Blingalingaling, from the EC/traps post! I just wanted to read all about your aquamarine so that I could speak intelligently, knowing what your stone looks like before I answered your lovely post to me this afternoon...and BAM!!! I find that TODAY you found the answer to your dilemma about how to set this BEAUTY!!! And, WOW!!! What a gorgeous set of trilliants you have decided upon for your ring and how perfectly they look with your aquamarine!!! :love: :love: :love:
I'm so excited for you!!! This will make a spectacular ring! I love the color and shape of your stone! It is so richly saturated - the blue/green is gorgeous!!!
I'm going to follow along and watch your progress! I can't wait to see your ring when it's finished and to see your hand shots! Congratulations!!!
Btw, I love your avatar! Did you draw the doggie? Is this your pet? It's so cute!!! :kiss2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the camp of "Big? Lets go bigger! Halo that bitch!!":lol-2::eek2::mrgreen2:

Seriously though the stone is gorgeous, if you find it too big, I would go with a just the plain stone, no side stones. I've always loved @Acinom 's ring and I think it would look quite snazzy with your stone. (is it now a VC regular? if not it should be!)

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! Thank you so much everyone for your very kind and positive responses...I’m smiling my head of here
Thank you so much Acinom, it always means a lot when you approve as I love your collection and design choices.

Hi Blingalingaling, I really love your divine EC with Traps design. Thank you so much for your lovely excited comments and bubbling enthusiasm about my ring, you’re really adding to my delight and anticipation with this ring. Unfortunately I didn’t draw the dog, I’ll have to try and find it again so I can list the artist, they deserve the credit as they’ve captured the character beautifully. I do have these wonderfully loyal, very friendly, stubborn, hairy and slobbery Hounds at home .

Hi dkata, thank you so much, it’s great to have these positive comments. I have said yes to them..I viewed the Aqua in person a while ago, but with the Trilliants I’ve taken a leap of faith (because I know and trust the jeweller) hoping that they look good with my Aqua when I see them. He says they’re great together. If they don’t please me, then I’m simply going to accept it and... maybe have a Moi et Toi ring made with them, or earring etc etc at a later date! I know they’ll be good for something, even if I don’t love them with the Aqua.

Hi Arcadian, you genuinely made me LOL Thank you for your lovely comments. When I get the chance to see the Trilliants with my Aqua if they don’t ‘work for me’ in any way I will just save them. I do fancy diamonds with it, but it will come down to what’s practical for my finger, although I seriously hope my jewellers correct as he knows my finger size and suggested them. I do love Acinoms Tri ring :)

I’m now trying to get an idea for the actual Platinum setting, I’m sure he’ll tell me what he thinks will work...but part of my enjoyment is in the research....and oggling of everyone else’s fabulously dreamy rings

Thank you so much everyone, it’s great to have your comments. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results