shape
carat
color
clarity

Online vs. a physical store (in state) .. I need input and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
So I am not sure if this is the right place to post this.. just let me know if it''s not
21.gif

The more that I''ve been looking on here and reasearching rings, I''ve seen that buying online is such a good deal. I really like some of the settings that James Allen has..

However, I also like a store here where we live. They are super friendly, informative and don''t pressure us at all. They have a "free" lifetime guarantee on all of their diamonds. If you have a setting and diamond from them, and you lose your diamond- they replace it for free. However, naturally some of their diamonds have a slight price hike.

32.gif
What do I do? For us as a couple it''s a really good deal for us, but also, spending less money right now would be even better.

Any advice.. thoughts??

Thank you!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If you have a setting and diamond from them, and you lose your diamond- they replace it for free.

huh??
33.gif
are you sure about this? This seems like a Huge risk for a store to take on - I''ve never heard of anything like it. When you say ''small price hike", how much are we talking? Perhaps its just the equivalent of what someone may pay for an insurance policy to replace their ring, therefore thats how the store can offer it?
Never the less, i find this very odd - I would also suspect that proving to them if/when you lose a stone and getting them to pay up may be a challenge, as they will not be governed by any regulations as, say an normal ins. co would. But hey, i very likely could be completely incorrect!
5.gif

Good point...

The following is from their website, which was also explained to us when we went there.

If we sold it, it''s guaranteed For Life.
You’ll Get: Lifetime guarantee on your WDD diamond against chipping, breakage or loss**
You’ll Get: Trade in Privileges for your WDD diamond for just $ 1.00 over your original cost.
You’ll Get: Lifetime guarantee on all our jewelry on workmanship and craftsmanship.
You’ll Get: Free Maintenance for life on your purchase.
You’ll Get: Lifetime of Free inspections, cleaning and polishing.
You’ll Get: Free appraisal updates for life.
You’ll get: No hassle to spend extra for ridiculous upgrades on warranties, it’s Free from Day 1.
**All we ask is you have your jewelry inspected every 6 months by authorized WDD stores.

I reaaaally love the people there. The guy we''ve been working with is SO nice and has sat down and let me look at diamonds left and right and settings up the wazoo. The more I think about it, their diamonds are fairly priced, but their settings are a little more (a few hundred??)

Sounds too good to be true? I''ve only heard good things about them though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 7:34:07 AM
Author: that_someone_special
Good point...

The following is from their website, which was also explained to us when we went there.

If we sold it, it's guaranteed For Life.
You’ll Get: Lifetime guarantee on your WDD diamond against chipping, breakage or loss**
You’ll Get: Trade in Privileges for your WDD diamond for just $ 1.00 over your original cost.
You’ll Get: Lifetime guarantee on all our jewelry on workmanship and craftsmanship.
You’ll get: No hassle to spend extra for ridiculous upgrades on warranties, it’s Free from Day 1.
**All we ask is you have your jewelry inspected every 6 months by authorized WDD stores.

I reaaaally love the people there. The guy we've been working with is SO nice and has sat down and let me look at diamonds left and right and settings up the wazoo. The more I think about it, their diamonds are fairly priced, but their settings are a little more (a few hundred??)

Sounds too good to be true? I've only heard good things about them though.
hmmm. in that case, I guess it does seem like a reasonable policy. The only thing I may be concerned, and I have heard some complaints on here about simliar situations, is what if you don't have the jewelery inspected in one period - say, due to holidays or forgetfulness? I think the one I read was someone found after having their ring checked and cleaned at the requisite store for years (?), it hadn't been recorded by anyone at the store, so they wouldn't honour the garauntee.

But please, I am in no way trying to turn you off - it sounds like you are keen on them, which is good. I would just make sure you get everything recorded
1.gif

May I ask, do they sell ideal cut stones and are they certified? Do you have an idea of what kind of stone/ring you want yet?

AHH! frick! I have tried to write my response and I keep going page back my accident!
32.gif

One more time!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK ARJUNAJANE! I appreciate it.

I will definately look more into their 6 month thing. I''m forgetful, so I would be screwed after just 6 months. A year is better for me.

Anywho, they sell all kinds of diamonds, and yes, certified ones too. They mostly sell loose, but have several that I believe are just quick ones for people to buy too, but nearly everything else is a loose stone.

I am looking for something that is .6-.8 depending on what the BF picks out. I''ve been to the location 2 times, and he''s gone 3... i''m not 100% on a setting, but I''ve shown the BF quite a few. Depending on the setting, I''m ok with whatever diamond. Ideally I''d like a diamond a bit over one carat eventually.. so their upgrade policy is quite attractive to me!

I attached a picture of the setting that I like. The only thing I know about it is that all of the diamonds are DEF, and the diamond pictured is around a half carat.. so depending on how big we go for a diamond, I might switch to a 6 prong, but with the smaller diamond the 4 prong isn''t too shabby!

It also has a matching wedding band that has notches to fit snug with it. I''ve come a long way from just wanting a princess cut solitare!

:)

prettyjillyring.jpg

Also, I think it''s called the crown? But I would have that one replaced with a different one, I dislike how deep that one looks.. if im explaining it.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
i had the same dilemma. I shopped and shop online and in B&M. Through the process, i educated myself and also found a B&M that has an ideal scope, sarin machine, etc. I spoke to them and told them what I was looking for. He found me several stones that met my criteria and I was able to see them at his store, all in person. Her also knew my budget ahead of time. Once we chose a stone, I did some comparison shopping online to verify the price. Int he end, I think I got as good of a deal as i would have got online, plus I bought from a local b&m, which made my FI VERY happy.

good luck.

zerj

Rough_Rock
Another thing to ask is how exactly guarantee work. Suppose you search and find the perfectly cut G/SI2 diamond that is ''eye-clean'' to you. If you lose this are they just obligated to replace this with any G/SI2 diamond in thier inventory including the one with that nasty black inclusion on its table?

It does sound promising with the tradein clause though. Assuming trade-in privedges are still valid on a replacement diamond you could be getting store credit in the amount equal to the cost of the first diamond. Which is nice however inflation could still make tradein''s a bad idea after 15-20 years.

ChinaCochina

Rough_Rock
It took 12 weeks of research to get my e-ring but it was worth it.

I had a great experience buying the loose diamond online and buying the setting at the store. I would advise only buying certified diamonds on line so that you can check the cerification specification online to verify that it is legit.
Some online vendors like http://www.uniondiamond.com/ are solid and have been featured on Newsweek and Forbes. I got mine here and I love it. There is also a 30 day return policy if you are not happy with the diamond.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO TRY ON THE RINGS. I had my heart set on a setting style which looked great in ads but not so much on my finger. I went with a style that I would not have initally picked out but I LOVE IT. So I took my diamond and bought the setting at the store. They set the diamond at the time the setting was purchased.

Also, stores and online stores that have great diamonds do not have great ring styles and vice versa. Because I separate the two, I was able to pick exactly what I wanted.

This is my experience but I would recommend to my own best friend. Good luck!

anemone

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 7:34:07 AM
Author: that_someone_special
Good point...

If we sold it, it''s guaranteed For Life.

I reaaaally love the people there. The guy we''ve been working with is SO nice and has sat down and let me look at diamonds left and right and settings up the wazoo. The more I think about it, their diamonds are fairly priced, but their settings are a little more (a few hundred??)

Sounds too good to be true? I''ve only heard good things about them though.

If they are selling certified diamonds that are comparable in quality to those you are considering online for comparable price, and charge you "a few hundred more" in settings, it sounds to me like these folks are trying hard to earn your business.

The difference between online and BM is often thousands, not hundreds. So if you like these folks and they have been super helpful, all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results