shape
carat
color
clarity

Online purchasing...who can I trust

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noelstreet

Rough_Rock
Hello folkes,

Is there a reputable firm I can trust to buy my wedding rings online? Never done this before and real nervous about sharing this much money to someone who may end up sending me a piece of coal. Not that I would know the difference.

Thanks,

Joe

johnjack19

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash
Brian Gavin Diamonds
Good Old Gold

These are brought up many times in the forums and people seem to trust these sites implicitly. I ordered a ring off Whiteflash which arrives tomorrow. Nothing I have encountered so far would lead me to think that I wouldn''t received exactly what I ordered. All these sites are professional and legitimate, which is best verified by word of mouth.

Also, if you''re particularly nervous, you can get a diamind that has its lab registry number incribed on the girdle. That way, an appraiser can verify that it is indeed the same stone for which you have a lab certificate.

Hope this helps.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
You''ve come to the right place.

The vendors on here (using the search tools on the home page) seem to have solid reputations. You can search by price alone or add whatever criteria you want. Like JohnJack, I purchased from Whiteflash and was very pleased throughout the process. I can''t personally comment on the other vendors but if you do some searching on here, I''m sure you''ll get plenty of feedback on each vendor.

You probably want to head over to the RockyTalky forum here. That''s where most people seem to start. Read through some posts there to get your feet wet. You may want to start with some reading here:

basics

For some additional reading, try this:
Good overview

Treefrog

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
I purchased from BrianGavindiamonds.com

I chose to have it shipped to a 3rd party appraiser. This allowed me to have it shipped without having to pay for it first. Once I reviewed it with the 3rd party appraiser I made the decision to buy it. The appraiser sent it back to the vendor (BGD) who is holding it for me while I have a setting designed. Much like you, I was apprehensive but after doing TONS of reading here, it went very smooth. I would certainly recommend them. Lesley was tremendously responsive and helped me build comfort in the process.

Noelstreet

Rough_Rock
What is the girdle on the diamond? Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 10:22:12 AM
Author: Noelstreet
What is the girdle on the diamond? Thanks.
Hi Noel and welcome!

Don't worry, we will take good care of you, we are here to help!

The girdle of a diamond is the outside edge or rim, if you look at the links TreeFrog posted, these take you to the Pricescope Tutorial section, look at the topics on the left hand side as these cover most of the diamond basics. And of course you can always ask!

This link from that tutorial goes into greater detail concerning girdles

I will ask admin to move this thread to Rocky Talk as TF suggested.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2010 4:32:57 PM
Author: johnjack19
Whiteflash

Brian Gavin Diamonds

Good Old Gold

Any particular reason James Allen is not on the list? Just curious.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:14:11 PM
Author: terceslil

Any particular reason James Allen is not on the list? Just curious.
From all that's posted, James Allen is reputable.

The only vendor I've ordered from is WF and have great luck with them. Seems like their prices are better than other vendors. Do a search on the vendors and see what pops up.

ETA - after you spend some time reading up, you'll for sure know how to tell a great diamond from a "piece of coal." Whenever you see one of interest, post it here so comments can be made.

IMO, before you plung into any purchase, CAREFULLY read the return policy. Most have excellent ones and you want to be sure you pick a vendor who has that.

BobR

Shiny_Rock
JA would be on my list. I''ve done business with them and wouldn''t hesitate to do so again!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from Good Old Gold and Whiteflash and found them to be entirely reputable.

Another reason I recommend these two is they have representatives who post here often.
If there is every any problem posted by a customer they resolve it promptly.

I really like this public visibility.
It make me feel safer than buying from a vendor whom I cannot call onto the carpet in public.

I have not bought from High Performance Diamonds/Infinity or Brian Gavin Diamonds but would not hesitate after reading about them for years.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Hello!
I''ve bought from Whiteflash, with no problems at all.
I''m also a repeat customer of Diamonds by Lauren, and have been really happy with the service and the diamonds each time.
I''ve bought from Michael E who posts here sometimes, another fantastic experience.

What exactly are you looking for? There are plenty people here who can guide you through the process if you''d like that.

Good luck finding your rings.

Jen

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2010 9:08:09 PM
Author: IceExplorer

I chose to have it shipped to a 3rd party appraiser. This allowed me to have it shipped without having to pay for it first. Once I reviewed it with the 3rd party appraiser I made the decision to buy it. The appraiser sent it back to the vendor (BGD) who is holding it for me while I have a setting designed. Much like you, I was apprehensive but after doing TONS of reading here, it went very smooth. I would certainly recommend them. Lesley was tremendously responsive and helped me build comfort in the process.

Having the diamond sent to an independent 3rd party appraiser for evaluation and verification prior to completing the purchase is an excellent way to go! It enables the customer to know that they are not only buying what is really a diamond, but also that the diamond they receive is the diamond advertised and subsequently paid for... Most merchants here on PS are willing to do business this way, there is a list of appraisers available within the Resources menu option located at the top of this page.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Noelstreet, you''ll find that many of the vendors here are extremely reputable. Not only are they visible on this forum but you can always search the better business bureau. Several of the vendors run brink and mortar stores and serve a local clientele as well as doing business online. Goodoldgold is one example. I''ve purchased multiple items from Pearlmans who have a store in MI and have been in business for 80 years. I have also bought from Whiteflash and Quest jewelers and each and every transaction was very smooth and easy. Once you get an idea of what you want to buy you can always post here for opinions of the vendor and the ring etc.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
I''m currently in the process of purchasing a diamond from USACERT from Martin. Everything has been smooth and great so far and it''s got some great reviews from Pricescope forums.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also add that Blue Nile has an excellent reputation and a very liberal return policy, though they do not provide all the cut information that most of us would want for a large diamond purchase, I think for a wb or smaller purchase I would use them.

High Performance Diamonds also gets used a lot.

We have recently been hearing a lot of good things about ID Jewelry too.

All the vendors who advertise on PS are listed here: https://www.pricescope.com/dealers.asp If you click on "read" beside their names, a search will run on them and you will see many threads discussing each vendor.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 2:36:32 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I would also add that Blue Nile has an excellent reputation and a very liberal return policy, though they do not provide all the cut information that most of us would want for a large diamond purchase, I think for a wb or smaller purchase I would use them.
BN does have a wonderful return policy. Two items I bought were returned and both refunds were fast. (Both items were under $200 though, so maybe that''s why it took only a few days.) The only downside is they do not do tradeups.

ChairmanOfTheBored

Rough_Rock
I ended up buying from WhiteFlash and have been deeply impressed with the personal service and communication. There certainly are other reputable companies online (BlueNile, UnionDiamond and the others already mentioned in this forum, but I can only speak about the excellent experience I had with WhiteFlash.

capitang

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 9:08:09 PM
Author: IceExplorer

I''m in the process of doing this with Good Old Gold. It''s a bit more expensive to ship the diamond back and forth (since I''m buying a setting from them as well), but worth the piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results