shape
carat
color
clarity

One Quote is far lower than the others...

webwing91

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I've been combing through the forum for a long time and have learned a great deal of information. Unfortunately I am in a quandary that I didn't find any information on here through the search. I am ready to get the engagement ring and know I want to get the diamond from James Allen or Brian Gavin. The setting is a custom piece. My budget was limited, but I wanted quality work within the budget. I asked around for several quotes (for setting alone) from jewelers with a strong reputation and got prices back that I could make work. All of these quotes were from jewelers not in my local area. I nearly chose one of the three jewelers when I heard back late from a local jeweler and they provided me a quote that was 35% lower than the next closest price.

I had only contacted jewelers with a great reputation, so I was kind of shocked at how low that quote was. When I talked to them, I did tell them that I already had quotes I was happy with, but would be happy to see what they could do for me. Should I be wary of such a low quote? I went in to see them and they have a nice operation. I kind of want to go with the local choice both for the monetary savings that allow me to upgrade the diamond and gem stones and convenience of working with someone local. I thoroughly asked about the quote and it really does include everything.

Thoughts?

The local store is Miner's Den in Royal Oak, Mi.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been to Miner's Den. I would recommend looking at other custom pieces they have made and see if the style and workmanship is what you want. There is some truth to "you get what you pay for", so although the low quote is appealing I would do some more investigating first. Ask them why it's so much less expensive (but don't tell them what your other quotes were).

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
ecf8503|1394750414|3633510 said:
I've been to Miner's Den. I would recommend looking at other custom pieces they have made and see if the style and workmanship is what you want. There is some truth to "you get what you pay for", so although the low quote is appealing I would do some more investigating first. Ask them why it's so much less expensive (but don't tell them what your other quotes were).

I was going to say the same thing. Proof of the pudding I just had my stone put back in its original setting (I had it sent to GIA) and I got three quotes two were cheap and the jeweler that made the ring 20 + years ago was $350 just to fix prongs and put stone back in setting. Guess what I got the ring back today it is worth every penny as I know this stone will never fall out and I am glad I paid what I did.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you provide us with a picture of the setting? Just wanting to know if its a difficult piece to make or not. Some jewelers
are better at certain types of work than others.

When you go to see some of their custom work, try to find items that have similar parts to the setting you want made.

webwing91

Rough_Rock
I'm starting with this ring and

https://www.josephjewelry.com/custom-princess-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-101223

And replacing the sides diamonds with pear shaped sapphires and the center princess cut with a round diamond.

I was originally going with Joseph Jewelry, but their uneasiness with working with outside diamonds led me to get quotes from elsewhere.

I did mention that maintaining quality was my number one concern, and I was concerned that their quote was so much lower than the others I had received, and asked why it was way. She was surprised it was that much lower, and said she had just worked out the cost of the side stones, design fee, etc... and that is what she came out too. Like I mentioned before, they seem to have a great reputation (based on Yelp and Google reviews), I've even seen a few mentions of them on this forum. But so do my other quotes (Joseph Jewelry, Brian Gavin, and Pressuer Jewelers).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would consider trying ERD and David Klass for a quote. In the past, BGD always quoted me higher than other PS vendors.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the design you want? Please post a picture. Or a link.

That will help us help you decide if it's something safe to go local, or at least recommend which of the PS vendors we think is best.

webwing91

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I posted a link above, but this is what I want:

custom-princess-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-3qtr-101223_3.jpg

with the round diamond and pear shaped side stones from this ring:

setting_template_main_1.jpg

In rose gold. Any feedback on if that will actually look good is appreciated.

Credit to Joseph Jewelry and Blue Nile for the images

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they going to do CADs for you so you can see the design before its made?

webwing91

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1394806586|3633989 said:

Yes, they are.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
webwing91|1394807428|3633998 said:
tyty333|1394806586|3633989 said:

Yes, they are.

Good...let us know what you think when you go see some of their custom work and whether you think it is up to par. I would take
note on how well their rings are finished. I don't think (my opinion only) that ring would be super hard to make (for an experienced jeweler) but its definitely more than a plain solitaire. You want to make sure the curves on the shank are nice and that everything
is in proportion. People on this forum have had lots of experience at viewing CADs (and seeing whether everything looks alright).
It would be good if you posted the CADs when you get them.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know anything at all about the store you're considering but, for whatever it's worth, that is NOT an easy job. The trick is in the finishing and the setting, not really in the CAD work.

webwing91

Rough_Rock
I've seen some of their work. It looked fine to me, but I don't know that I'm experienced enough to judge the finer points of quality. The pieces weren't terribly similar to what I'm looking at.

I think maybe I'll create a new topic and ask if anyone from SE Michigan knows of their work. They seem to be fairly popular here (#1 place to buy jewelry in some publication, tons of yelp/google/facebook reviews), not that it means their quality is up to snuff.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results